Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easiest and safest way to get oil out of your bowling ball?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Here's a picture of the extra tray version
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chats: 243

is this the correct one?

also does it need to be that one or just any round food dehydrator?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 30

Wow! And here I had bought a food dehydrator a few years ago and never used it.... Looks like I need to dust off the box and give it a go

Also - aromatherapy for the bowler's soul
    Last edited by DLP; 07-17-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Donna
    Current arsenal: Uproar / Rumble / T-Zone

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    is this the correct one?

also does it need to be that one or just any round food dehydrator?
    That's the one. Model FD-61

It doesn't have to be anything in particular but the nice thing about that one is the heat circulation down the sides and the temp. gauge.

Buy that, and two sets of tray inserts (4 extra trays total) and you're done. Just clip the centers out of them and but a ball cup at the bottom.

I would take a couple of thermometers and check the internal temperature periodically to make sure the gauge is correct. I've read others say theirs were +/- 20-30 degrees depending on the unit so it's important to know where yours stands.

Go look at the Nuball products website and tell me it doesn't look just like this with a modified solid center piece.

Chats: 204

Post Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo View Post
    whenever i do this, the duct tape doesn't seem to keep the water out of the holes. any sugguestions?
    The first time I soaked mine in the bathtub with dish soap, I tried to keep the finger holes above the water line...and I soaked it for about 20 minutes. However, the second time, I just submerged the entire thing and kept it in there even longer, probably 30-35 minutes. I was worried it would mess with the finger inserts, but nothing.

I then use a Simple Green/Vodka solution in a spray bottle to clean it...I use a 1000 grit wet sandpaper just to kinda scuff it up a little by hand...then use the solution again and good to go.

I wouldn't be brave enough to do the oven. My pro shop can oven and re-buff for like $40. Kinda pricey, but I'll probably have it done next month and see if it's worth it.

Also, after each 2 series...I wipe the ball with an alcohol wipe (I've amassed a ton of them from rib and chicken joints)...and of course, even though it doesn't seem as effective as with the urethane/plastic balls...I use the towel after each frame.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I used to set mine by the fire and watch the oil sweat out!

I am definitely skeptical about any method that applies heat to the ball - oven or dehydrator. Understanding the material science of the compounds in the ball and the theory of thermal expansion and contraction it seems like a very bad idea to me unless you have a very controlled environment and know exactly what you are doing. I never leave my ball in the car because of the changes of temperature in summer and winter. Just a bad idea. I have seen people that leave the ball in their car in winter go throw the first practice shot and have the ball crack. The dawn dish soap method is a little intriguing to me. Just not sold on it. Does it make a huge difference? Also to me seems like a bad idea to soak your ball in water.

Cranker

Well, the food dehydrator is still kicking a&@ mad taking oil....

I do a bunch of people from my leagues gear now too. Best 80 bucks and 30 minutes ever.

Using a food dehydrator...interesting. Video of you using it?

Chats: 243

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    I am definitely skeptical about any method that applies heat to the ball - oven or dehydrator. Understanding the material science of the compounds in the ball and the theory of thermal expansion and contraction it seems like a very bad idea to me unless you have a very controlled environment and know exactly what you are doing. I never leave my ball in the car because of the changes of temperature in summer and winter. Just a bad idea. I have seen people that leave the ball in their car in winter go throw the first practice shot and have the ball crack. The dawn dish soap method is a little intriguing to me. Just not sold on it. Does it make a huge difference? Also to me seems like a bad idea to soak your ball in water.
    ive never had any problems using a cardboard box and a hair dryer. The bath method never worked for me personally which is why i moved to the hair dryer. I agree that leaving the ball in the car is a no no though. Mine are always kept safe and sound with me in my room
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast