Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easiest and safest way to get oil out of your bowling ball?

Default Easiest and safest way to get oil out of your bowling ball?

I just invested a lot of money into two bowling balls (DV8, White Dot Plastic). I want to maintain the integrity of the ball. Somebody told me I should deep clean my ball every 60 games. Is that true?

Can someone explain the best way to deep clean your bowling ball and how often?

Thanks
    Joebowl

Chats: 1

Joe, I usually don't bother deep cleaning my White Dot. I do clean it after bowling with a good cleaner though. My high-end equipment I tend to deep-clean once during the middle of the season, and once at the end of the season. I use the Dawn and hot water method. Here are the steps:

1 Cover all of the holes with tape, I usually use small pieces of duct tape.

2 Fill a large bucket with hot water. (I wouldn't use anything above 120 deqrees.)

3 Place the bowling ball in the bucket and make sure it is completely covered with water.

4 Add 3 tsp. of Dawn dish detergent and mix it with the hot water in the bucket.

5 Use your hands to rub the dish detergent all over the bowling ball.

6 Let the bowling ball sit in the bucket for 3 to 4 minutes.

7 Use a towel to wipe down the bowling ball while it is still under water.

8 Take the bowling ball out of the bucket and rinse it under your faucet with hot tap water.

9 Fill a second bucket with hot water and place the bowling ball back in it. You may see a soapy film in the water. This means there is still some soap left on the bowling ball. You will need to rinse it off again and stick it in a new bucket of hot water. When you no longer see the soapy film, the bowling ball is clean.

One other thing, since the coverstock is porous the ball will absorb some water. Give it a couple of days for it to dry completely. I've been toying with the idea of placing the ball into an absorbent powder to wick out the moisture after washing my balls.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Thanks Jersey Jim,

I have heard that exact way of cleaning except the person doesn't use the dawn. Does the dawn draw out the oil from the ball? Or does it keep the oil away from the ball once it's out? Also, do you agree with the 60 games theory?

Ok, this sounds like a winner method.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The Soap (dawn) basically suspends the oil(acts as a emulsifier) in such a way, as to make it easier for the water to wash it away.

The 60 games theory is a basic rule of thumb, a lot would depend on the amount oil you bowl on. If you played on heavy oil all the time, you might do it more often. If your on light oil most of the time, you could wait longer.

When cleaning a ball, the most important time is after bowling. Use a clean towel and some ball cleaner. That will do more for keeping the coverstock free of excess oil absorption than anything. Your not giving the oil a chance to soak in.

Now a lot of bowlers consider a "deep cleaning", the use of a ball cleaner thats known for penetrating the pores to remove some soaked in oil and impacted grime.( such as Clean'N Dull and a couple of others) After so many games.

Then after a period of time they would do a oil extraction. The "Hot water & Dawn" is one method of oil extraction method, there are others. The "HW & D" is the simplest at home method.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-25-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Also heres one of the original methods for the Hot Water & Dawn method from MoRich.

Have the ball wet sanded to about 400-grit to open the cover's pores.

Fill a tub or bucket with hot tap water so that it just covers the submerged ball.

Dip the ball in the water and when you remove it notice how the water is being repelled by the oil.

Squirt about 2-3 teaspoons of Dawn dish detergent (the foamy version lathers and extracts dirt and grime the best) on the ball cover and literally massage it into the coverstock.

Place the ball back in the water and let it set for a few minutes.

Rub the surface while under water with a clean towel.

Remove the ball from the soapy water and rinse it with hot water.

Rinse the tub (or bucket) clean and refill it with hot water (no soap).

Place the ball back in the water and rub it again with a clean cloth.
    * You will probably notice that a soapy film will appear in the water.
    * This is residue that was trapped in the coverstock (much like the oil and dirt was) and the cloth is helping to remove it from the surface.

Repeat steps 5 through 9 until no soapy residue remains,
    * This make 2 or 3 times to achieve, depending upon the amount of soap that was used.
    * You don't want to use too much soap, but you need enough to cut through the oil and dirt.

After the soap has been completely removed from the coverstock, towel dry it, and allow the ball to further air dry at room temperature.

Have the ball wet sanded with 400-grit paper and then follow the steps to bring it back to its factory finish.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Keep a small Bottle of cleaner in your bag for oily lanes!

I always keep a bottle ofTac Up Bowling Ball Cleaner in my bowling bag, I find that our local lane oils very often and this makes sure that I quickly clean off the excess oil before going back into my bag. I also keep 2 towels in my bag, one to wipe the cleaner and oil off and one just for a quick wipe, try not to mix these up, as you don't want to rub the excess cleaner and oil back onto your ball during play.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.

make sure you clean your towel every few weeks too. I have wto microfiber towels. I only play league once a week, and sometimes go practice one other day. but if I fill a bowl up with hot water, dawn, and lysol or something else that cuts grease and soak my towel in it, the water comes out black after like 15 minutes.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by chrono00 View Post
    make sure you clean your towel every few weeks too. I have wto microfiber towels. I only play league once a week, and sometimes go practice one other day. but if I fill a bowl up with hot water, dawn, and lysol or something else that cuts grease and soak my towel in it, the water comes out black after like 15 minutes.
    Good point, it is easy to remind yourself to clean your bowling balls every 50-60 games but it is easier to forget to clean towels. I'll have to do that sometime soon as I'm sure mine won't be pretty at all!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJourney View Post
    Good point, it is easy to remind yourself to clean your bowling balls every 50-60 games but it is easier to forget to clean towels. I'll have to do that sometime soon as I'm sure mine won't be pretty at all!
    yea you'd be surprised how much oil those microfiber towels will have in them after just a few weeks. and if they are saaturated like that, how much can they be doing when your using it on your ball in between frames

Chats: 891

the journey yeah lots of people do forget to clean the towels but not the balls so a good way to remember alwasy have 2 towlers in your bowling bag 1 the main one you use and the 2nd one for backup if the main one gets to dirty soo then u can switch out and u will remember that night or a couple days later u need to wash it and if you forge tu got the backup one.

so like keep like the main one at the top of your bag or where u put it and put the clean one in another pouch that has nothing in it, it helps alot soo u dont have to clean you ball with a dirty towel

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast