Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing first ball question

Default Purchasing first ball question

Im looking to buy my first ball and kinda overwhelmed at all the choices. Im not new to bowling just new to the whole non house ball deal. I bowled with my first non house ball just the other day and it rocked my world. It was a hammer black widow and then and there i knew i wanted my own ball. I dont know what kind of bowler i am or the proper terminology to use towards that but i just know i hook the mess out of a house ball with a lot of effort and when i used the hammer i hardly tried and it hooked hard to the left giving me a strike! The lanes i bowl on are medium oiled i would guess (how do u know for sure?) anyways im looking for a decently good ball for the way i play (sorry i dont know exactly how to describe that other than i hook the living heck out of a ball) that maybe compares to something like the black widow and being this is my first ball id probably like to keep the price somewhere below 130 maybe a little less...thanks!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Hello liljoe0985 and welcome to the forum.

Not having much info on how you bowl limits what could be suggested. As always talking with the pro shop about what might be right for you is the best place to start.

There are several good companies out there to pick a ball from, Roto Grip, Storm, Ebonite, Hammer, DV8 etc.

I would suggest what's called a "Entry Level" ball, they are usually not the most powerful balls (but can be pretty strong), but they wont break the bank either.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe0985 View Post
    Im looking to buy my first ball and kinda overwhelmed at all the choices. Im not new to bowling just new to the whole non house ball deal. I bowled with my first non house ball just the other day and it rocked my world. It was a hammer black widow and then and there i knew i wanted my own ball. I dont know what kind of bowler i am or the proper terminology to use towards that but i just know i hook the mess out of a house ball with a lot of effort and when i used the hammer i hardly tried and it hooked hard to the left giving me a strike! The lanes i bowl on are medium oiled i would guess (how do u know for sure?) anyways im looking for a decently good ball for the way i play (sorry i dont know exactly how to describe that other than i hook the living heck out of a ball) that maybe compares to something like the black widow and being this is my first ball id probably like to keep the price somewhere below 130 maybe a little less...thanks!
    If you ask nicely at the counter or in the pro shop, ( if they have one ), they will probably tell you what the shot is. There are really two parts in describing lane condition; How much oil and How long? How long gives an idea of where to play the lanes and how much tells you what kind of ball you should be using. If there is an in-house pro shop, they will want to sell you a ball that will be a good match for your style on the the typical house conditions. Some shops have demo balls that you can try out. They may also be able to give you a deal on a used ball.
    John

I'd definitely say go to the proshop. Every maker has really good entry level equipment, a Roto Grip rising star might suit you very well, but I havent seen you bowl. The proshop guy will be able to make reccommendations based on what he sees from you. I would definitely say if you want to keep the price down a used ball is probably a good idea, but you wont really know whats out there until you go look. The only time I'd say buy a ball online is if you know exactly what you want already, since you dont go check out a proshop Good luck!

Thanks everyone...and i guess i now know im a cranker lol...so i do know that...

are there any good entry level balls with good back end hook on it? think thats what i need...im right handed and bowl as far left as i can behind the gutter and play the hook of whatever ball im using(if that helps any)

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe0985 View Post
    are there any good entry level balls with good back end hook on it? think thats what i need...im right handed and bowl as far left as i can behind the gutter and play the hook of whatever ball im using(if that helps any)

The Columbia 300 Freeze doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has a LOT of back end from my experience. (I ended up giving mine away not my style) but for an mid to entry level ball it is a GREAT buy.

Dv8 misfits are supposed to have really good backend motion and are very reasonable http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...ange-Blue.html check it out.

Chats: 221

Roto Grip Rising Star, Storm Tropical Heat, Global Hook and as mentioned the Misfit are all balls that get down the lane with a nice backend "flip"
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Me personally, check out something from Track or Roto Grip. You could go with a Roto Grip Grenade, which is a great entry level ball or the Roto Grip Shooting Star. As for Track equipment, I would recommend anything from the 500 series line. Very great and controllable coverstocks for any oil condition. I have a friend who uses his 503 in just about every oil pattern. It baffles me how he can throw that ball on any surface / oil pattern, but I take note that he's a very skilled bowler. Check with your pro shop first though before committing to a purchase. What works for one, may not work for another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast