Thread: Talk Bowling #108 - Should I Use a Lighter Bowling Ball?

Super Moderator
    Chats: 91

Default Talk Bowling #108 - Should I Use a Lighter Bowling Ball?

Question from Johnny Yang:
    Q - I currently throw a 14 pound bowling ball at 16 mph with decent amount of revolutions on the ball ; I was wondering if I should move to a 12 pound ball where I can get LOTS of revolution on the ball and be able to amp up the ball speed to 18-19. Hope I get my question answered. THANKS!

A - There are so many things to discuss with this question. First off, most 12 pound bowling balls do not have the same weight block as their heavier versions. Usually 14 pounds is the weight in which the cores are most effective.

There is more to bowling than just speed and revolutions. Accuracy would be a huge concern. Usually when the bowling ball is too light for the bowler, they tend to be much less accurate. Also, with a lighter bowling ball, you have much more potential for deflection. The pins will actually be more of a roadblock to the ball than with heavier bowling balls.

My personal opinion, stay where you are at. 16MPH is a good ball speed as long as you are consistent and getting some revolutions on the ball. Also remember that just because you increase your ball speed, it does not mean that your ball will hit the pins any harder or with more force.

Question from Kevin:
    Q - Why did the PBA stop using the Gold Pins and I think you mentioned this before but I couldn't find it. Which is better More Power/Speed with major hook, or less power less hook.

A - I really don’t know the reason they stopped using the gold pins.

As far as power/speed, we kind of just addressed that in the last question. A heavier bowling ball will provide more “power” at the pins provided it has enough speed and revolutions. You want driving power into the pins, not necessarily hook. People want to see the big hook, moving the bowling ball from gutter to gutter and back again, but that doesn’t increase your carry percentage. You want enough hook to get the ball driving into the pocket at an aggressive angle to help carry the pins.

More power/more hook or less power/less hook. What really matters is how your ball in entering the pocket and how it is driving through the pins.

Sponsor:
    This weeks episode is brought to b Roto Grip and the all new Defiant. The Defiant features the all new Paragon core designed to help expand the RG plane of the ball. This revolutionary core is wrapped in the all new MicroBite coverstock that is stronger and more textured then the competition.
    This combination offers you strong midlane roll and a huge continuous, sweeping hook on the backend.

Check out the Defiant and other top sellers from Roto Grip on bowlingball.com.

How to contact us
    Email us questions@talkbowling.com
    Leave a comment on TalkBowling.com
    On Twitter we are @TalkBowling
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/TalkBowling

Last Week’s Question of the Week:
    Q - Who was the first PBA Champion to win titles using a three step approach, a four step approach, and a five step approach?
    A - Former PBA TV analyst Mike Durbin

Question of the Week:
    Q - Which bowling center in the U.S. boasted the most lanes in a non-split house before it's eventual demolition?
    A - Watch the next episode

Choose Your Path Contest - Get 2000 likes and win a Choose Your Path Prize Pack
    10000 likes on bowlinball.com and have a chance to win 1 - $100 G/C, 2 - $50 G/C, or 4 - $25 G/C good on bowlingball.com

Contest reminder:
    bowlingball.com gives away a brand new bowling ball every week of the year. 52 weeks, 52 winners. All you have to do is signup for our contest weekly.
    Also through the end of the 2012, there is a separate giveaway just for participating on BowlingBoards.com. Come join the community of bowlers there, discuss equipment, lane conditions, tips, techniques, and more. Every post you make is an entry into a drawing for a brand new bowling ball.

Closing:
    Please remember that bowlingball.com is free shipping on every item, every day. No hidden handling fees, no packaging fees, no added insurance fees. The price shown is the price you pay at checkout. No Surprises.

Great video, thanks for posting.

Chats: 891

yeah very great video.

but i got one thing u sead going from gutter to gutter and back again u sead it dose not give much pin action muhc leave it too your guy mike jones i think going over elft gutter out to the right gutter and hitting that poket and getting lots of pin action and nice strikes but he has alot of revs
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Striker, watch and see how many guys throw a HUGE hook with some speed and yet the ball hits light. No matter the style or speed the ball needs to hit "hard" enough to hit the 1,3,5 & 9. A lot of those guys drive through the 5 and hit the 8 instead. It's the luck of pins flying that happens to bail most of these shots out. The better the technique, the less luck that is needed.

yeha ik what u mena but mike jones is crazy at it hes got alot of revs but right know im thoriwng cracker style with my hell raiser revenge and it hits the pins soo hard you think someone threw a granade down the lane and msotly when i hit head headpin or brooklin the pins jsut fly i got lucky today on my 5th stirike in my 2nd game when i hit the pocket and almsot elft the 9pin but lucky i got a hellicopter messenger to take out the 9 pin

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Come on now. That's the Hellraiser and we both know that's not a normal ball. The whole DV8 lineup sounds different than any others when they hit, sorta like the core is made from cast iron. You must have some crazy ball speed. I can't get far enough left on a house shot to use my Hellraisers but our house shot has always seemed extremely dry to me.

i dontgot that crazy ball speed only 15pmh-17mph not sure have not checked latly but i got alot of dame revs like tell you this my ball is not even able to get acorss the lane fully cause of how much revs i put on the ball soo it mostly hits the head pin streght on
    Last edited by striker12; 03-26-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling