Thread: How to start a coaching business/career?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Default How to start a coaching business/career?

I enjoy helping people when asked but always worried that I wasn't doing people any favors if I was teaching them incorrectly. So in January I sat down and took the courses for my level 1 certification. I plan to use my vacation time from work to attend the class needed for bronze. I have obtained my vendor's license and FEIN along with all the other legal necessities to begin a business. What I don't really know is how to go about getting real clients? I want to volunteer to coach in our house's summer kids camp. Is there a downside to that? So far I have been coaching a few people for free in hopes that word will spread and I can gain the trust of my bowling community. I'm not looking to make a fortune but would like to have it built enough in ten years that I can make that my full time job. I will be 53 and ready to leave my current profession. Any help, thoughts, questions or criticism is welcome
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I've been watching this thread hoping to see you get some answers. I got my Level one last year. More just to see what I could learn than to change careers. The last couple of months I've been helping with the local USBC youth program on Saturdays. Maybe I'll ask my friend Tim how he's gone from just giving free advice to having paying clients.
    John

Blog Entries

John, if your friend is willing to give any advice on this subject, I am more than willing to listen. I didn't initially get the certification to change careers but rather to learn. I learned a ton. My first instinct was correct; I had no clue how to actually coach anybody. I tried getting the local high school bowling coach to mentor me as the courses suggested. We bowl in some of the same leagues and she has asked me to help some of the kids in the past. She has her bronze certification but doesn't want to assist me in going any higher.
    The thought of coaching as a career crept into my mind one night as the reality that my body won't allow me to do my current trade forever. 2007 I broke my right thumb, 08 broke right thumb, 09 broke my right wrist and in Nov 2010 a workplace accident left me blind for 14 months. It seems as though I am being given a not so subtle hint that it's time to stop and move back into management or change careers. I figured that as much as I enjoy bowling and helping others improve their game I should begin laying the foundation to be able to make the change in the future.
    It is kind of discouraging to see how many list certified coach with their signatures and none of them have taken the time to answer.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Bowling Guru

I'll see if I can pick his brain tomorrow night.
    John

Bowling Guru

I didn't get a chance to talk to Tim last night. He was late and the schedule had us moving parallel with at least one pair in between us. Four bowlers to a pair singles format doesn't leave much time to talk to anyone except on your pair or one of the adjacent lanes, unless you don't mind having 18 people mad at you for holding up the game.
    I'm thinking that part of the reason for the lack of response is that most coaches probably start as regional pros, and work in pro shops or bowling centers so they're already where people will go to look for a coach.
    John

Blog Entries

Thank you John. I know how hard it can be to talk during league. What's a bit strange is around here we don't have a coach in our center or a pro shop. The local pro shop is about a mile from the center. The only other certified coach in the area is the high school coach. I would try to work out something with the pro shop owner but I don't use him. He is a great guy but all his techniques and drills are outdated. He doesn't even do interchangeable thumbs. When I first started bowling he drilled a ball for me, my sister and my brother-in-law all without ever asking how we threw it, what we wanted or ever seeing us bowl. Personality he gets an A+ but I want and need more for my game/money.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member