Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teach me to throw conventional

Default teach me to throw conventional

Hey all, while I score very well, theres some problems with the way I throw. Im a 1 handed, 2 fingered shoveler, and throwing this way REALLY causes alot of arm pain, to the point I have to take prescription oxys just to bowl. Ive tried learning to throw conventional with a thumb, but when I get even close to the release point I just drop the ball. I talked to an instructor, and he said it could be that my ball isn't drilled properly, which makes sense because my guy drilled it for a 2 hander. Any tips would be appreciated.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by resstealth View Post
    Hey all, while I score very well, theres some problems with the way I throw. Im a 1 handed, 2 fingered shoveler, and throwing this way REALLY causes alot of arm pain, to the point I have to take prescription oxys just to bowl. Ive tried learning to throw conventional with a thumb, but when I get even close to the release point I just drop the ball. I talked to an instructor, and he said it could be that my ball isn't drilled properly, which makes sense because my guy drilled it for a 2 hander. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Try having the thumb hole drilled so that it is angled forward towards the fingers a little. This will give you more control of the grip. You may have to entertain the idea of going to a lighter ball weight until you gain some strength and get used to it.
    ad.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Yes, forward thumb pitch is the way to go. At least it shows you're not squeezing the ball. My wife constantly dropped the ball until she went to forward.

Ill talk with the pro shop guy about the forward drill, im honestly thinking of going to a brace also, as I think a big part of the problem is the 3 wrist surgeries ive had due to motorcycle accidents.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

A brace will help. If you are dropping the ball then obviously you are not staying under the ball. This is understandable given the past wrist injuries. A brace will increase side roll but with some practice you can also stay under the ball. After breaking my wrist a few years ago one thing I did was hold the ball in my hand and if needed, use the other hand to support it, a cup the wrist. You may be surprised as how fast the muscles, tendons and ligaments strengthen up. Before any of this though, please get the thumb properly fitted and pitched.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ive been bowling 2 handed for a few weeks now and have been doing fine. I tried one of the league guys brace last night and actually threw decent conventional, but when I took it off it really showed me how weak my wrist is.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by resstealth View Post
    Ive been bowling 2 handed for a few weeks now and have been doing fine. I tried one of the league guys brace last night and actually threw decent conventional, but when I took it off it really showed me how weak my wrist is.
    I learned to bowl with just 2 fingers but eventually put my thumb in the hole. My technique didn't change at all though (still semi-scooping the ball) and I too had the problem of having wrist pain because of it. What I eventually found was that a therapeutic forearm band helps a ton for your wrist. Basically it absorbs some of the energy going down your arm and keeps your forearm from overworking itself and everything around it. Since I bought it, and another bowler who was having issues got one too, we've had no wrist pain.

I don't think it will cure your problem, but it possibly will help a little.

The one I use is by Bandit and is a therapeutic magnetic one. On a side note, the problem now is since they don't have a sponsorship deal with the PBA...it's not getting worn in my first regional this month or any event afterwards. I'd really love to use it at the WSOB this year since that's a lot of games to be bowled.

Blog Entries

The one I use is by Bandit and is a therapeutic magnetic one. On a side note, the problem now is since they don't have a sponsorship deal with the PBA...it's not getting worn in my first regional this month or any event afterwards. I'd really love to use it at the WSOB this year since that's a lot of games to be bowled.
    Is this your choice or PBA doesn't allow because of lack of sponsorship?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-11-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Fix coding
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I would think that as long as there isn't a vary prominent logo it would be allowed, like Fagan's tennis shoe.
    John

Blog Entries

That's what I was thinking. Besides, a piece of athletic tape over the logo would solve that.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast