Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjustments for that dang cold ten pin.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default Adjustments for that dang cold ten pin.

Don't know if this has been tried before, but I thought this might be a good idea for a thread.
    If the lanes are oily, and your ball isn't hooking like you're used to, try slowing it down. If you do this, it might be a good idea to step forward 6 inches on your approach.
    One way to slow it down, is to hold the ball a little lower in your stance and don't push it out as far as you usually would. This allows the ball to stop skidding as far and to start rolling sooner, rolling into the pocket instead of still hooking.
    Feel free to post your own adjustment ideas about clobbering that pesky ten when they seem to stand and laugh at you!
    ad.

Im A right handed bowler so for those tens I throw a "Back Up" Ball which is very simple but looked down upon for pickin them up I have no real trouble.

I usually adjust backwards or forwards if I seem to be leaving too many tens. Just 6 inches or so will often work for me. Of course there are exceptions and then it's time for a ball change so that I'm hitting the pocket just that little bit differently.

Bowler
    Chats: 4

It's always best to practice converting spares with straight balls. That way, the condition of the lanes are obsolete, and your spare shooting will always be consistent

Usually, if I often get the 7 pin (I am left handed), I place my feet ½ board to the left. So for a right handed, it would be ½ board to the right.
    Brunswick T-Zone
    Brunswick C-System Alpha-Max
    Brunswick Wild Card
    Storm Streamline 3 ball roller

When leaving 10 pins I usually make an adjustment to the right 1/2 board and if that doesn't
    work then I'll move an inch or so back on the approach also, so between both adjustments it
    usually gets those pesky 10 pins out for me.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I'm sure it's been posted before but it always amazes me how many people (primarily league players) will blame everything except themselves for leaving 10 pins. Rather than making small adjustments to fix it, they blame the lane/oil/temperature/pins/ball (take your pick). So many people seem to think pocket = instant success and will totally ignore speed, entry angle, revs etc as contributing factors.

That said I wish I were hitting the pocket a little more often at the moment or rather more consistently but that's a different topic
    Last edited by littlelegs; 12-13-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by littlelegs
    I'm sure it's been posted before but it always amazes me how many people (primary league players) will blame everything except themselves for leaving 10 pins. Rather than making small adjustments to fix it, they blame the lane/oil/temperature/pins/ball (take your pick). So many people seem to think pocket = instant success and will totally ignore speed, entry angle, revs etc as contributing factors.
    I couldn't agree with you more on this topic we have several like that in our center they would rather blame the lane man,
    the ball, the pins, everything except themselves. I ask them well have you tried any kind of adjustments and they just say
    ("well I'm hitting the pocket good so why do I need to move any on the approach because its so and so or this and that that
    is causing the 10 / 7 pin to stand because it's not me because I'm crushing the pocket.")
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Bowler
    Chats: 2

I always blame myself or describe why I left it, like hit the pocket a bit too high, etc. My teammates and I know when we did something correctly or what needs to be adjusted. It is a lot easier to blame things, but doesn't really accomplish much.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    Don't know if this has been tried before, but I thought this might be a good idea for a thread.
    If the lanes are oily, and your ball isn't hooking like you're used to, try slowing it down. If you do this, it might be a good idea to step forward 6 inches on your approach.
    One way to slow it down, is to hold the ball a little lower in your stance and don't push it out as far as you usually would. This allows the ball to stop skidding as far and to start rolling sooner, rolling into the pocket instead of still hooking.
    Feel free to post your own adjustment ideas about clobbering that pesky ten when they seem to stand and laugh at you!
    ad.
    Thanks to the posters who replied.
    I should have been a little more specific in my op - some got what I really wanted to discuss and some understandably went with the spare angle.
    So, I'll elaborate - what adjustments do you make to your next strike shot if the lanes are medium to oily and you are leaving ringer ten's?
    ad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast