Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimum ball speed?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Default Optimum ball speed?

I have read that the optimal ball speed is between 18-21mph. But where exactly is that speed taken at? The release? The pins? The 45' mark (where my center speed is taken)? Let's face it, ball speed will be higher at the release than at the pins. Lane conditions also play a role. I notice that the less oil, the slower the speed. Makes sense seeing as the lower concentration of oil the higher the friction, higher friction equals less kinetic energy.

On a side note, the only way I can pick up the 7-10 split is with a speed around 23mph with revs, hitting the left side of the 7 into the corner by the 10 and out to tip the 10. Practicing that is tiring lol
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Going by the C.A.T.S data for Pro/Elite bowlers,They are averaging 19+ mph at release.

On average a ball will lose about 3 mph from release to the pins ( depending on conditions and coverstock, also the ball path straight vs curved). So at 45' you should at about 17 mph.

According to the Usbc ball motion study, 17 mph at the pins is the ideal speed and 21 mph when released.

The thing to watch though is speed variance, The Elite/Pros only vary by .38 mph over ten shots.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries

Our speed sensors had me at around 13.3mph. According to the stop watch my time was 2.5-2.53 seconds over twenty rolls at a full rack. So according to the ball speed chart on the Powerhouse bowling website I'm hitting 16-16.3mph. Now to try to hit a consistent 18mph. I was always over 20mph by the house sensors but have worked hard to lower my ball speed.
    The practice session was very dry, laying down at 35, out to the 5 board and manage to hit the pocket each time. Oil by itself may bring it to 17mph. Something else to work on during summer league
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Step into my office

Chats: 42

You shouldn't worry so much about getting to 17 mph at the pins. Optimum ball speed depends on the individual, in my opinion. The optimum ball speed would be one which matches your rev rate. If you can be neither speed dominant or rev dominant, you will have a much easier time obtaining the ball reaction you desire.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Blog Entries

Ok, so where can I find a chart showing optimal speed for revs? I have worked hard to increase my ability to change revs, speed and releases but am curious to see how close I am to whre I should be.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Step into my office

I don't know that there is a chart, but if there is, I guarantee bowl1820 has it on his computer! He's got all of the cool diagrams and things!
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

Blog Entries

I've noticed he has some great charts and information. I think I save every chart he posts!
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

I bowl about 16.5mph overall according to the house screens, no idea what it is upon release or when it hits. I always think my ball speed is too high. I think it really does depend on how your roll your ball to see what the optimal ball speed is vs. rev rate.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

This is the only chart I've ran across showing Speed vs Revs.
    I don't know just how or what they based it on. Also the part that says "*The goal is..." I don't know the context that was meant to be in, I'm assuming this chart was part of another article and is referring to something in it.

(A caveat: These speeds and revs are not the same ones,that the USBC statistical studies show generate the highest percentage of strikes at the pins.)

Now Mo Pinel said this in thread about speed vs revs.
    It is somewhat ambiguous because rotation and tilt affect the match. My basis is 275 rpms matches 17 mph at release. I go from there. There is some intuition involved.
    Now 275rpm/17mph does fit into chart, also the cats data that says pros/elite bowlers are doing 363-373+rpms/18-19mph seems to fit in there also.

So assuming the pros are matching up really well, I would say it lends credence to the chart being pretty close at least. So for what speeds match which revs, this would be at least a starting point.

But you'd have to remember ball type, surface, tilt etc. would be variables in what would be the best speed/rev matchup for that particular ball.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Step into my office

Thanks bowl! Obviously it varies on a case by case basis, but this is a good jumping off point to see where you currently stand. Like the chart says, if you're a #1, try to become a #2 or a #5 to become a #4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast