Question from Brandon:
Q - The tendon on the inside of my thumb (where my thumb connects to my hand) gets very sore/painful and, if I bowl several times a week or more than 3 games at a time, it starts to affect my throw. I start losing the ball early because I can't keep a hold on the ball as easily. If I don't use vaseline/neosporin and some bowling tape to protect the skin there the skin tears open and causes even more pain. I usually use my 16lb Brunswick Nemesis and this has been a problem from the first time I used the ball.

My question is:
Is it common for the tendon on the inside of your thumb supposed to get sore/painful when bowling a lot? Is this something that the guys throwing 20+ games a week have just gotten used to or is the grip on my ball slightly too far apart?

A - We are not doctors, but there is no reason you should hurt because of bowling. If you are hurting, you should have your equipment looked at by a pro shop operator and your hand looked at by a doctor.

As for the skin tearing problem, I have the same issue. I now use protecting tape, but when bowling a lot, that tends to still get very sore. What I find for myself, is that I am gripping the ball too much, putting to much flex in my knuckle, as if I need to hold onto the bowling ball. This is the wrong approach. Your thumb should be snug enough that the ball holds onto your thumb, not your thumb holding onto the ball. The force of the delivery should help your thumb out of the bowling ball on its own.

Question from Brian:
Q - My question is with regards to tournament play. I am having a problem with making a transition from game to game. Each game we move one to two pairs and I often am at a loss in the first 3-5 frames causing me to play catch up towards the end of the game. How do you approach the first shot on a new pair during tournament play?

A - I think that's the whole reason they make you move. To let people that adjust quicker, more effective. After all, it's a sport, and adjusting shows that you have more skill than your opponents.

Most tournaments have you moving just one pair over. Meaning that you can watch what is working for the people currently on that pair while you are waiting. Normally the lanes are not so vastly different that you have to make big moves from where you are currently at, but I have seen them vary widely.

The goal when you move pairs in a tournament is to make a safe shot in the opening frame and not only give yourself a look at the way that lane is playing but to at least come out of there with a spare. Like it was said above, the lanes normally are fairly close but due to the previous bowlers and type of tournament, they may not be close at all. Make smart shots until you get lined up and do not make your adjustments so big that you get yourself in trouble. Try not to get frustrated, once you do it is very difficult to overcome. Think about what you saw in the motion of your bowling ball and if you are lucky enough to not to be the first bowler watch your opponents or team mates ball reaction.

Sponsor:
This episode is brought to you by Brunswick and the all new C System Versa-Max. The CFT Versa-Max solid coverstock uses a combination of all the CFT coverstocks to create the ultimate coverstock. This provides enhanced projection down lane while saving axis rotation for more energy on the backend and through the pins. The new Dual Flip I Block is a symmetric core that keeps the block revving on the back end and all the way through the pins for increased pin action.

Check out the C System Versa-Max and all of Brunswck's performance balls today at bowlingball.com.

Last Week's Question of the Week:
Q - Who was the first professional athlete to complete in a national PBA Tour event?
A - Larry Sieple - punter, Super Bowl Champion Miami Dolphins, circa 1974 at Bird Bowl in Miami, Fla.

Question of the Week:
Q - Who was the first PBA bowler to roll more than one 300 game in the same tournament on multiple occasions?
A - Watch The Next Episode