By Terry Bigham
USBC Communications

Ricki Williams was more than a little excited to hear the news she had won the United States Bowling Congress' Alberta E. Crowe Star of Tomorrow Award, a $6,000 scholarship that goes to a female high school senior or college student who competes in the sport.

"I was in my Spanish class and saw the number pop up on my cell phone and I ran out of class," Williams said of the call from USBC. When informed she had won the award, Williams said she "was speechless . I was so happy."

Williams attends Wichita State University and was a member of the Shockers team that won the 2007 USBC Intercollegiate Team Championships. She will complete her undergraduate degree in integrated marketing and communications in December and plans to start graduate school in January.

She was a member of Junior Team USA in 2008 and earned a spot on the 2009 team by finishing third at the 2008 Junior Gold Championships. She competed in the 2008 World Youth Championships in Orlando, Fla., finishing seventh in team, eighth in doubles, 36th in singles and 17th in all-events.

In addition to school and bowling on the Wichita State team, Williams also serves as a director on the Great Plains USBC. Marci Williams, president of the association, said Williams "not only attends our meetings but accepts and leads responsibilities such as our Web site redesign, hospitality committee and will be the driving force behind a youth scholarship tournament."

Williams is active on the Wichita State campus as a Student Ambassador and as a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters.

The Alberta E. Crowe Star of Tomorrow Award in presented annually to an athlete who shows star qualities such as distinguished bowling performances on the state and national level, academic achievement, and extra-curricular and community involvement.

Williams will be presented with the award at the 2009 USBC Convention, scheduled for April 28 though May 2 in Reno, Nev.