Thread: Have any of you ever tried the helicoptor style of bowling

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Have any of you ever tried the helicoptor style of bowling

I never heard of it, but I guess its big in some places??? Looks weird!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I never heard of it, but I guess its big in some places??? Looks weird!!
    Helicopter Style is a type of spinning release where the ball is rotating on the vertical axis, counter clockwise. It's meant to hit the 1,3,6 & 10 pin's and having them fall like domino's into the others.

That's a popular style over in Asia, where they oil the lanes from basically the foul line to the pin deck a lot of the time. The ball has little chance to hook like they do here. They are depending more on mixing action, than on carry. When it's drier it becomes less predictable.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Helicopter Style is a type of spinning release where the ball is rotating on the vertical axis, counter clockwise. It's meant to hit the 1,3,6 & 10 pin's and having them fall like domino's into the others.

That's a popular style over in Asia, where they oil the lanes from basically the foul line to the pin deck a lot of the time. The ball has little chance to hook like they do here. They are depending more on mixing action, than on carry. When it's drier it becomes less predictable.
    True. Also, it should be noted that it balls are made to put the "conventional" hook on them. Using a helicopter or spinning style simple makes a $200+ useless. Also, throwing with a helicopter/spinning style, you will leave 5 pins and splits, as it hits the pocket very flat.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JaMau24 View Post
    True. Also, it should be noted that it balls are made to put the "conventional" hook on them. Using a helicopter or spinning style simple makes a $200+ useless. Also, throwing with a helicopter/spinning style, you will leave 5 pins and splits, as it hits the pocket very flat.
    Yes most use plastic balls, also they use lighter balls. Yes 5 pins and washouts do happen alot also, this would be because the ball doesn't drive into the pins. It's meant to go down outside of the rack of pins, just hitting the 1,3,6,10.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

I looked at a few asia bowling films, and wondered about the oil pattern... I wounder why they don't use the same patterns we use in the usa? Also, I wounder if Europe uses the same oil patterns we use, and is it the same type of equipment!

Step into my office

Chats: 42

The good thing about the helicopter release is that it takes the lane totally out of play. Basically, when it leaves your hand you know if it's a strike or not. There are some really good UFO bowlers out there. It's not something I'd necessarily recommend but it would be great to be able to do on scorched lanes or a flood.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Ringer
    Chats: 32

never tried it.. don't know the technique to do it..