Thread: cleaning fluids what to use and not use?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Smile cleaning fluids what to use and not use?

Just started bowling after a 40 year lay off, question! Are the cleaning equipment sold at the alleys worth the money, or does simple home cleaning
    fluids work as well. Once friend I talked to about it uses a liquid Lava Soap on a rag? I fould some none toxic fluid that had no ammonia in it and stated
    it could be used on metal/wood/and plastic? It was made by Pledge billed as and all purpose cleaning fluid.

Chats: 4

The stuff sold at your local Pro shop is designed especially for bowling balls
    although some home brewed cleaners will work also. I would be very careful
    about what type of home brewed cleaner I used I guess the safest bet would
    be some Simple Green mixed up with some 90% pure rubbing alcohol maybe
    a mixture of 50-50 or 75-25 maybe.

Whatever you do do not and I repeat do not use acetone on your ball as it will
    cause the cover to become to soft and is illegal to use on bowling balls anyways.
    I would have to say the safest thing to do is just buy some cleaner from the Pro
    shop that is legal to use during league play and that way you'll know you're safe
    to use it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I would say it depends on the type of ball, plastic is one thing reactive/particle is another. A friend has a plastic coverstock ball and uses Windex. I use Storm Reacta Clean for my reactive coverstock which has worked well for mine.
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up
    Infinite Theory, Storm Vivid and T Zone for spares
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice, its been almost 40 something years, and boy has the techonology changed BIG TIME. I love it. The stuff I purchased was a Pledge product in a spray bottle. Its a multi Surface cleaner, and it says can be used on all surfaces. It states in huge writting on front 99% Natural, clean citrus scent. (almost smells as good as my dream ball the Vivid, which one day in the near future I hope to own. Says it can be used on granite, metal wood glass and even electronics. Made by Johnson and Johnson.
    It does say it can be used for any surface including plastic, wood laminate. Its called, and I purchased it from Target/Walmart.... Pledge multi surface everyday cleaner.
    It has a nice clean citrus scent. Lemon.... I just don't want to turn my ball into a LEMON by destroying the cover. Its cost was the main reason I purchased it. Pro shop stuff
    cost almost 4 times as much... any thoughts, and thanks for the advice above.

Blog Entries

I forgot, ,,, my balls are the Undefeated, Alien, and Mutant Cell. The Alien, and Mutant Cell have gone FLAT going into the pocket. Believe me I have tried everything I have
    read about to get them back but no luck!! I plan on putting them to rest in a little plot out back if I can't revive them.

Blog Entries

Is it just me, or do most balls lose their punch after even as little as 1 month. Say bowling 40 games a month? It seems like the alien, and mutant cell all started out
    with huge hook, now I use either one for a spare ball. Again have had the oil removed, and the mutant cell recently resurfaced. Still both are flat going into the pocket.
    The newest ball, the Undefeated, its working good, but I wonder if it too will lose it in a month or two... will keep you posted.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Roto Grip Coverstock Maintenance

Resurface to the original factory finish using a ball spinner:

1000-grit:
    360-grit Abralon® - Sand for 30 seconds on all four sides with firm pressure
    1000-grit Abralon – Sand for 5 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    2000-grit:
    360-grit Abralon® - Sand for 30 seconds on all four sides with firm pressure
    2000-grit Abralon – Sand for 10 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    3000-grit:
    500-grit Abralon® - Sand for 30 seconds on all four sides with firm pressure
    3000-grit Abralon – Sand for 10 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    4000-grit:
    2000-grit Abralon – Sand for 10 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    4000-grit Abralon – Sand for 5 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    1500-grit Polished:
    1000-grit Abralon – Sand for 20 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    2000-grit Abralon – Sand for 20 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    4000-grit Abralon – Sand for 20 seconds on all four sides with light pressure
    Storm Step Two™ - Polish lightly for 15 seconds on each side
    Roto Grip® recommends using the suggested cleaner/polish daily. In addition, Roto Grip recommends touching up the surface with only the final step every 20 games and resurfacing completely every 30-50 games.

I use this on my balls regularly with great, consistent results.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

One to go with the Roto Grip Coverstock Maintenance chart.

Is this the Storm Maintenance chart
    Click here for Storm Ball maintenance_poster

also the ball maintenance matrix
    http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/Bal...Matrix_4up.pdf

also the ball maintenance checklist
    http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/Bal...cklist_4up.pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

For a reactive ball, get the stuff made for it. I recommend cleaning it after every set.

Regular house cleaning supplies are fine for plastic, or even urethane.

Blog Entries

I do clean balls after each league play! I do this because I was told that the new balls absorb sooooo much oil. I also wipe every time the ball comes back from the ball
    return. I look at the oil on the ball to see how much and where its tracking, it lets me know where the oil is located, in regards to where i through the ball. Wow, so much
    to learn and at my age, not much time to master it.... Did I say MASTER? My goal, before I die, or wind up in a home, is to bowl a 300 game, and one 700 series! With all
    your help, and knowledge, maybe I can reach that goal!!