Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurfacing equipment?

Question Resurfacing equipment?

Reading some of the posts on ball maintanance the spinner came up. What I would like to know is the spinner does not have the same action as the machines used in pro shops where they actually have an up and down motion using 4 pads where the spinner is just a stationary unit. I understand the former but how does a spinner provide the same uniform resurfacing as the machines used in the shops? One is reliant on the individual holding a sanding medium and applying the correct pressure. The other has 4 cup shaped pads and also reverses direction as it sands. On the spinner it must have to be flipped over to sand the side that sat in the cup of the spinner so how can one be certain the ball has been resurfaced evenly?
    I can see a potentially dangerous piece of equipment here in the wrong hands, oversanding or uneven sanding etc. Would it not be wise to just take it in to the shop!...hummm

OT but perhaps a Ball Maintanance category on the board could be a nice addition here!
    Last edited by dgz924s; 04-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up
    Infinite Theory, Storm Vivid and T Zone for spares
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The machines your talking about are the, Haus Machine, Cook Sphere Machine and I'll include the Storm Surface Factory.

Yes these machines produce a lot more uniform surface, they'll get flats spot out etc. They are really more for doing a resurfacing as apposed to just surface changes IMO.

Spinners are good for doing surface changes fast and if you follow all the steps you can resurface without messing up your ball. It's like a lot things it just takes practice.

Using a spinner how can one be certain the ball has been resurfaced evenly?
    For the most part from experience, spinner's have been around a lot longer in pro shops than surfacing machines.

Overtime you can get a ball out of round, you can get flat spots around the holes. If you don't learn to keep the pressure even, flip the ball to the different sides, do the sides the same amount of time, know that the top of the ball will sand faster than the side.

That's why once in a while take it in and have it threw on the diamond wheels on one of the machines to have it trued up.

Though I doubt most bowlers these days have balls long enough to get them to far out of round with a home spinner.

It's easier now most sanding pads have foam backing, that helps with keeping a even firm pressure. One thing you should have if using a spinner is at least one Taxi C.A.B. Block (Contour Abrasion Block) they are contoured to the shape of the ball for holding your sanding pad or paper.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

That gets answer to my question down. For a quick surfacing I can see the spinner being a good thing but resurfacing major ball gouges and ruts woiuld be better left to a pro shop.

I ask because I had my ball resurfaced for the 1st time and the first night of bowling the ball got damaged along the track by the ball being hung up in the return. It left a rough section along the track almost the entire circumfence and a couple flat spots. Paid 25 bucks to have it resurfaced only to need to have it done again. So getting a spinner might be something I thought I should consider rather than travel a 2 hour RT to the shop and the added cost of resurfacing again.

Thanks!
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgz924s View Post
    That gets answer to my question down. For a quick surfacing I can see the spinner being a good thing but resurfacing major ball gouges and ruts woiuld be better left to a pro shop.

I ask because I had my ball resurfaced for the 1st time and the first night of bowling the ball got damaged along the track by the ball being hung up in the return. It left a rough section along the track almost the entire circumfence and a couple flat spots. Paid 25 bucks to have it resurfaced only to need to have it done again. So getting a spinner might be something I thought I should consider rather than travel a 2 hour RT to the shop and the added cost of resurfacing again.

Thanks!
    It not hard to fix minor damage like small gouges and such if you have spinner. They have patch kits, most are just a bottle of super glue and some quick set spray. Thats what I use for the small stuff, that and a bevel knife to shave it down before sanding.

Plus as long as its not in the track, you dont worry about it. You dont do full resurfacing (making the ball look new) that often. Most sanding is surface changing.

A spinner is one of those things that pays in the long run. Plus you can do it for your friends, make some extra money.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

I just may get one from Innovation as it can be purchased on sale right now. Beats having to shell out thousands for the other machines and as you mentioned not going to get used very often plus I would have to charge quite a bit to do my friends equipment...lol So now I have to determine which need is most desired, need a new ball, upgrade the shoes and a spinner, well I think I just answered it, what good is bowling without a ball and shoes!!
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I want a ball spinner. However, I want a lot of things that I don't really, truly need. So things being as they are at the time, I sand my balls in the kitchen sink. It may not be perfect but it does work well. I still incur the cost of the pads, cleaner, polish, etc and yet my friends/relatives expect me to do their balls for free or worse yet, use my pads and such to do it themselves!
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Now if your handy you can make one pretty cheap. It's a simple build.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Now if your handy you can make one pretty cheap. It's a simple build.
    I have been thinking of trying it. My only concern would be making sure the electrical was water tight.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

For $219 including the starter kit I might just have to come off the debit card and just buy one. Comes with a five year warranty. I could make one for half, then spend another $50 for what the starter kit includes and still not have a warranty. That works out to around $70 for a professionally made spinner and warranty...hmmm
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I have been thinking of trying it. My only concern would be making sure the electrical was water tight.
    Depending on the type you want to make (table top or tub mount). Pull a motor from washing machine or a sump pump motor, it should be sealed.
    Get About a 1/2" x ???" V belt, 2 pulleys, a sealed flange bearing, piece of shaft preferably with the end threaded, steel salad bowl, a piece of thick walled tubing, electrical cord, plug and switch, assorted nuts bolts washers and a frame to mount it all too. Steel, thick aluminum, a wood box can work for a table top model.

If don't get a sealed motor incase it with a plastic paint bucket or similar thing and silicone sealer.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-08-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast