Thread: USBC Registered Volunteer Program

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Default USBC Registered Volunteer Program

I recently completed the USBC RVP. My understanding is this will soon be a requirement for anybody involved with the USBC Youth programs, including the center and their employees. I went on-line when I learned it was complete and checked. Yes, my name is listed. Much to my amazement though, my local center and no other individuals within my county are registered, not even the high school coach who is a bronze certified coach. I understand the purpose behind this program and fully support the effort. My question is, how many centers/people have already completed this and why haven't more bothered? If I understood the site correctly, our high school coach will not be allowed to coach next year unless she completes and registers with this program.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I recently completed the USBC RVP. My understanding is this will soon be a requirement for anybody involved with the USBC Youth programs, including the center and their employees. I went on-line when I learned it was complete and checked. Yes, my name is listed. Much to my amazement though, my local center and no other individuals within my county are registered, not even the high school coach who is a bronze certified coach. I understand the purpose behind this program and fully support the effort. My question is, how many centers/people have already completed this and why haven't more bothered? If I understood the site correctly, our high school coach will not be allowed to coach next year unless she completes and registers with this program.
    There seems to be a disconnect between the national USBC and at least some of the locals. The USBC does a poor job of communicating it's value to the average bowler. I think they rely on having the local keep up with the changes on their own.

When I was asked to help earlier this season with the Youth leagues, no one asked for any credentials at all. You would think, since this area was the site of several abuse cases involving priests, we would be ahead of the curve with the Registered Volunteer Program.
    John