Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hooking the ball!!!! HELP!!

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip20.htm
    Bowler's release by Ron Clifton
    thanks i'll try this coming week on how to throw it like this..

thanks guys for all your help.. will try again this week and post about it again!

Ringer
    Chats: 32

i myself have a different problem.. when the lane conditions are medium to dry, my ball (i use a Brunswick Anaconda.. which is for medium oil) over hooks and i tend to go brooklyn (sometimes worse and miss the head pin altogether) but when the lane conditions are heavier, i don't get enough hook.. don't know if it's the ball not suiting the lanes or is it just me doing it wrong..

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    i myself have a different problem.. when the lane conditions are medium to dry, my ball (i use a Brunswick Anaconda.. which is for medium oil) over hooks and i tend to go brooklyn (sometimes worse and miss the head pin altogether) but when the lane conditions are heavier, i don't get enough hook.. don't know if it's the ball not suiting the lanes or is it just me doing it wrong..
    Adjustments. As the lanes dry you have to keep up with the "transition" and move your start position left (for righty bowlers) while maintaining your original target. At some point that target will get too far to your right to hit. That's when the 2 to 1 adjustments work. That is, for every two boards you move your feet, your target moves 1 board in the same direction. This allows that ball arc to remain roughly the same but changes where that arc is on the lane.
    For a visual example; draw a half circle on a piece of paper. With each end pointing at 12 & 6 notice the arc and area. Now rotate the paper so the ends are at 1 & 7. Same arc but looks different.
    For more oil, move the opposite way (right for right handers) while using the above template.

These are for THS not sport patterns. if you want advice on a sport pattern just send me a message with as much info as possible about your style. I will give a detailed answer that should get you to your target in five shots or less.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Adjustments. As the lanes dry you have to keep up with the "transition" and move your start position left (for righty bowlers) while maintaining your original target. At some point that target will get too far to your right to hit. That's when the 2 to 1 adjustments work. That is, for every two boards you move your feet, your target moves 1 board in the same direction. This allows that ball arc to remain roughly the same but changes where that arc is on the lane.
    For a visual example; draw a half circle on a piece of paper. With each end pointing at 12 & 6 notice the arc and area. Now rotate the paper so the ends are at 1 & 7. Same arc but looks different.
    For more oil, move the opposite way (right for right handers) while using the above template.

These are for THS not sport patterns. if you want advice on a sport pattern just send me a message with as much info as possible about your style. I will give a detailed answer that should get you to your target in five shots or less.
    very detailed teaching! shall learn from this forum as much as I can to improve on my bowling.. jealous on ppl who does lots and lots of rev.. roar!!

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    low.. only a avg 100 - 120 without guard..
    with guard it would be 140+
    Okay, I am a high rev player, but I didn't start out that way. You can't run a marathon just after you start training.

You need to find your own style, trying to copy PBA bowlers will hinder you. Everyone bowls different, and it is important that you feel it out for yourself.

As you find your own style, don't pick up any bad habits. DO NOT spin the ball around your thumb, this will cause blisters, and they are extremely irritating. I used to do this, mainly because I was trying too hard to spin it.

DO NOT flip your wrist over when you release the ball, think like you are shaking someones hand.

You could try cupping your wrist, that would yield results immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by I suck at bowling View Post
    Okay, I am a high rev player, but I didn't start out that way. You can't run a marathon just after you start training.

You need to find your own style, trying to copy PBA bowlers will hinder you. Everyone bowls different, and it is important that you feel it out for yourself.

As you find your own style, don't pick up any bad habits. DO NOT spin the ball around your thumb, this will cause blisters, and they are extremely irritating. I used to do this, mainly because I was trying too hard to spin it.

DO NOT flip your wrist over when you release the ball, think like you are shaking someones hand.

You could try cupping your wrist, that would yield results immediately.

thanks! maybe this week i'll tape my play.. but it's troublesome to bring a camera and a tripod to take a bus! WEW!!! tiring.. but.. i'll see how it goes.. thanks for ur help.. i'll try cupping my wrist during the release to get more revs!

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Dave, two things. 1. With today's equipment lift is no longer needed and actually a detriment to accuracy. 2. I hope you are releasing at the ankle and just explained this wrong (I know it's hard to put into words what we mean at times). The release should start when the arm is perpendicular to the floor (90 degrees to the floor) for maximum leverage and be completed by the time your hand passes your ankle.

I agree that a fancy hook isn't needed. Hollywood flash is for the friends. A nice, smooth, controllable hook is for scoring. What's funny is how many people want a bigger hook and I've been working on making mine break later and more smooth so I can play the Norm Duke/ WRW line.

One other thing for those new to the terms. "Under the ball" means anywhere below the equator to actually under it. Just in case some didn't know.
    Hi Bill. I guess technically, the thumb is starting to exit the hole as you release your grip, but your fingertips are still in the ball until you get about a foot to eighteen inches past your ankle. That is if you are trying to get the ball out onto the lane a bit. I try to get about a yard of loft - to maximize energy at the pins and help prevent roll-out.
    Dave.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Dave, loft yes. If releasing that far past your ankle works for you, great. Personally, unless the heads are super dry, that's just way too late for me. Ideally, textbook release (ha ha), the thumb exits as arm passes hip, fingers at the ankle of slide foot. Now when I actually see someone with a perfect release, I will let you know. Still comes down to the first rule of coaching; nothing works for everyone so there are NO steadfast rules.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

eugene02, all the info your getting on here is AWESOME info and i am also learning to improve my hook and consistency in my game. i would advise you to get a coach somone who can show you in Real life time someone who can show you IN person instead of descriptions on what to do or videos that show you. not mockng anyones intelligence what so ever bc most of the ppl cmmting this thread have helped me also but ive found a GREAT deal of understanding and feeling in my hook wiht a coach by my side watching me one v one. its just somethign about having a certified coach there instead of reading.....but i still read everything to get more knowledge .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast