Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hooking the ball!!!! HELP!!

Ringer
    Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Adjustments. As the lanes dry you have to keep up with the "transition" and move your start position left (for righty bowlers) while maintaining your original target. At some point that target will get too far to your right to hit. That's when the 2 to 1 adjustments work. That is, for every two boards you move your feet, your target moves 1 board in the same direction. This allows that ball arc to remain roughly the same but changes where that arc is on the lane.
    For a visual example; draw a half circle on a piece of paper. With each end pointing at 12 & 6 notice the arc and area. Now rotate the paper so the ends are at 1 & 7. Same arc but looks different.
    For more oil, move the opposite way (right for right handers) while using the above template.

These are for THS not sport patterns. if you want advice on a sport pattern just send me a message with as much info as possible about your style. I will give a detailed answer that should get you to your target in five shots or less.
    hmm maybe it's more of being me rather than the ball then.. lol.. i guess i just need more time to find my line..

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    hmm maybe it's more of being me rather than the ball then.. lol.. i guess i just need more time to find my line..
    normally I need 1 - 2 games to start with thn I'll start to know the lane, than I get better by the 3rd game.. >_> not in league of course..

Ringer

i can't even find my line.. i can get a good line (for me generally it's the 12-13th board out to the breakpoint of about 5-7th board) and get to the pocket every ball for 1 game, then lose it completely for the next, find it again, lose it again and so on.. lol..

so the idea is to cup my wrist when i'm about to let go the ball after my swing? am i right??

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    so the idea is to cup my wrist when i'm about to let go the ball after my swing? am i right??
    Sort of. The Idea is to un-cup the wrist as you release. Some bowlers like Tom Smallwood start with the wrist cupped in their stance and maintain it through the entire swing. Mike Fagan appears to un=cup at the top of the back swing and then re-cup. Some people probably cup and then un-cup right before the release. Cupping through the whole swing takes a lot of strength and energy. Cupping just before release takes a lot of practice to get the timing right and adds some muscle tension at the end of what should be a relaxed, free swing.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Sort of. The Idea is to un-cup the wrist as you release. Some bowlers like Tom Smallwood start with the wrist cupped in their stance and maintain it through the entire swing. Mike Fagan appears to un=cup at the top of the back swing and then re-cup. Some people probably cup and then un-cup right before the release. Cupping through the whole swing takes a lot of strength and energy. Cupping just before release takes a lot of practice to get the timing right and adds some muscle tension at the end of what should be a relaxed, free swing.
    i'm practicing to swing like Mike Fagan who brings up his ball un-cup thn when coming down, cup the wrist to get a good hook.. but nothing much so far.. going to try again this later this week..

i've tried cupping my wrist when i throw.. can create more revs now than normal.. avg went up from 100's to 130. not too bad for a start.. shall try it again next week.. hope i do better this time round!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

You will get better with it. Timing the un-cupping for maximum power and revs takes practice.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    You will get better with it. Timing the un-cupping for maximum power and revs takes practice.
    hope i catch the technique fast enough before my competition on June 24th

Ringer

i used to go with a straight wrist, now i cup it and i get a lot more added revs and much better pin action.. but i go with cupping throughout the swing, otherwise i'll tend to drop the ball.. takes a lot of energy though..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast