Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please explain this style of release?

Default Please explain this style of release?

Ball is held with classic suitcase grip all the way through the release.
    Arm swing is very relaxed, pendulum.
    Ball enters the lane with a corkscrew like rotation with the axis pointing down the lane towards the pins and the ball rotating counter clockwise, right to left around that axis.
    The ball slides and rotates like a corkscrew even on very dry conditions for almost a full ¾ of the lane.
    Ball hits the back end and transitions into a slight quick hook that then transitions into a straight roll if the transition is early enough or a 10 o’clock angled hook-roll if the transition is later.
    Looking at the ball with the thumbhole on the bottom and the fingers on top, the Ball Track crosses just to the left outside of the middle finger and the right outside of the thumb in a 10 o’clock to 4 o’clock diagonal.
    What would you call this style?

is it just called spinning like a top or corkscrew? that style is not very common in the U.S., mostly in parts of Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-in-the-pit View Post
    is it just called spinning like a top or corkscrew? that style is not very common in the U.S., mostly in parts of Asia.
    No it is not Spinner style.
    Spinner style has the axis pointing straight up like a planet as it hovers slides down the lane.
    The release I am talking about is like flipping the planet on its side with the axis pointing down the lane and the ball rotating counter clockwise (gutter to gutter) as it moves down the lane until it transitions into a hook/roll.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Spinners use a style of release known variously as spinning, helicopter, or UFO. Regardless of what it's known as, a spinner releases a ball such that it is rotating along a vertical axis (the x-axis) in a counter clockwise motion (right-hander) as it moves down the lane. Spinning is a popular style in Asia, especially Taiwan, where lanes are usually oiled from the foul line to the pin rack, and present little to no opportunity for a ball thrown in one of the three more orthodox fashions to find friction on any part of the lane. A hook needs friction, in order to allow the ball to "grab" the lane. In spinning, very little of the ball's surface touches the lane, which is what the spinner intends. Spinning does not require friction of any kind.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nordattack View Post
    No it is not Spinner style.
    Spinner style has the axis pointing straight up like a planet as it hovers slides down the lane.
    The release I am talking about is like flipping the planet on its side with the axis pointing down the lane and the ball rotating counter clockwise (gutter to gutter) as it moves down the lane until it transitions into a hook/roll.
    If you flipped the planet on its side the axis would not point down. The axis would be horizontal to the lane surface, thats called rolling. When the axis is perpendicular to the lane (pointing down or up) its spinning.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Okay sorry reread your post, thats just a ball release thrown with 90 degrees of axis rotation and 0 degrees of tilt.

And given where the oil track is that says a full roller release.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-17-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Ok, thank you.
    I had always thought a Full Roller was more straight with the the north and south poles of the axis pointing at each gutter rather than the north and south poles pointing at the bowler and the pins.

Chats: 1

Actually Pete Weber is pretty dang close to a 90 degree axis rotation. His hand starts under the ball, however when he releases it, his thumb is straight up in the air. You can see it in this video, he's right after Sean Rash.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6ACBB6&first=0
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Spinners use a style of release known variously as spinning, helicopter, or UFO. Regardless of what it's known as, a spinner releases a ball such that it is rotating along a vertical axis (the x-axis) in a counter clockwise motion (right-hander) as it moves down the lane. Spinning is a popular style in Asia, especially Taiwan, where lanes are usually oiled from the foul line to the pin rack, and present little to no opportunity for a ball thrown in one of the three more orthodox fashions to find friction on any part of the lane. A hook needs friction, in order to allow the ball to "grab" the lane. In spinning, very little of the ball's surface touches the lane, which is what the spinner intends. Spinning does not require friction of any kind.
    kinda sounds close to what I think I did before I learned to lock my wrist and stay under the ball. was averaging between 110-120 then. now i'm closer to 150. big difference. first 2 weeks after the transisiton especially, I would drop the ball a few times, but still get enough rev on the ball to get a solid pocket hit. that solid pocket hit alone will do wonders for the average.

Ringer
    Chats: 32

i used to use this.. tends to have little hook when on heavy oil IMO..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast