Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hooking the ball!!!! HELP!!

Chats: 131

Default Hooking the ball!!!! HELP!!

I went bowling today and I'm trying to get off my guard as I wanted more revs. But I realized that my ball doesn't rev much. Don't know how to go about doing this.. Can't really afford to get a coach.. Been watching videos on how to hook a ball.. Saw the person beside me hooking his ball real easily.. When I tried, it literally just roll down the lane and have a slight backend hook which hits the pin more of a straight bowler rather thn a hook bowler..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFICpGy_H8Y

like this link.

but what I want is a hook which is like the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYi2XqDxbqI

(close to how chris barnes is throwing, rather thn rolling down the lane and the ball does the job - makes me feel like a serious noob >_>)

What is your current average?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

cock your wrist at a 45 degree angle. In your stance turn your hand counter clockwise so that your index finger is pointing towards the target. Lock your wrist in at this position. As your swing passes your hip, uncock your wrist rapidly pulling your thumb out and bring your hand straight up and out from under the ball allowing it to roll off the finger tips.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    I went bowling today and I'm trying to get off my guard as I wanted more revs. But I realized that my ball doesn't rev much. Don't know how to go about doing this.. Can't really afford to get a coach.. Been watching videos on how to hook a ball.. Saw the person beside me hooking his ball real easily.. When I tried, it literally just roll down the lane and have a slight backend hook which hits the pin more of a straight bowler rather thn a hook bowler..

like this link.

(close to how chris barnes is throwing, rather thn rolling down the lane and the ball does the job - makes me feel like a serious noob >_>)
    Its interesting that your examples are from two of the most versatile bowlers in the PBA. On the right conditions, Barnes can and will throw just as straight as Duke. Duke has been quoted as saying something like "I play whatever line the lane tells me to play".

For throwing a hook, revs are only one part of the equation. As long as your thumb comes out before your fingers you will have enough revs to hook.

In my experience about 5 to 10% of the regulars at a bowling center care enough and know enough to help beginners and sometimes intermediates with their games. Some, like my friends Tim and Dave, will just come up to you and start making suggestions. Others are willing to help if you ask them.
    John

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

There's a documentary show that had Fagan's release in superslow motion. I can't remember the name of the show. It seems that the harder someone tries to generate revs the fewer the revs, though.

Blog Entries

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/...nskijune11.pdf

Another Joe Slowinski article. Anatomy of an elite release.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip20.htm
    Bowler's release by Ron Clifton
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post

like this link.

The great Earl Anthony had shot almost identical to Duke's - to me it is all about consistently averaging higher scores, not about a fancy hook.
    Having said that, all you have to do is to rotate slightly from hand under the ball to around about the 4 0'clock position at the release with a nice strong lift on your follow through. The rotation should happen from about the ankle to the release. This will give you heaps of hook.
    ad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    Having said that, all you have to do is to rotate slightly from hand under the ball to around about the 4 0'clock position at the release with a nice strong lift on your follow through. The rotation should happen from about the ankle to the release. This will give you heaps of hook.
    ad.
    Dave, two things. 1. With today's equipment lift is no longer needed and actually a detriment to accuracy. 2. I hope you are releasing at the ankle and just explained this wrong (I know it's hard to put into words what we mean at times). The release should start when the arm is perpendicular to the floor (90 degrees to the floor) for maximum leverage and be completed by the time your hand passes your ankle.

I agree that a fancy hook isn't needed. Hollywood flash is for the friends. A nice, smooth, controllable hook is for scoring. What's funny is how many people want a bigger hook and I've been working on making mine break later and more smooth so I can play the Norm Duke/ WRW line.

One other thing for those new to the terms. "Under the ball" means anywhere below the equator to actually under it. Just in case some didn't know.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by I suck at bowling View Post
    What is your current average?
    low.. only a avg 100 - 120 without guard..
    with guard it would be 140+

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast