Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepping for tournaments

Chats: 131

well i've upgraded to 3 now.. Heee
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Ringer
    Chats: 32

i also have 3 (4 if you consider a cracked one i have at home.. lol).. btw, how do u prepare for your tournaments eugene? ever taken part in any?

Chats: 131

well if my competition is on a sunday, i'll play on the friday and cool on the saturday..
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I bring 6 inside. I travel with 13. When I lose it's because someone else out bowled me, not because they had better equipment of I didn't have available what was needed to match up to the lane condition.
    13 balls?!?! Why so many? I think 6 is a lot to carry around. Maybe explain why you have so many in a separate thread???

Anyway, I don't think I'm to the point of doing tournaments. Maybe in a couple years I'll be to that point. I do bowl on one league and I usually get there early enough to bowl three games, then watch them finish oiling the lanes. It's a 60 lane center and takes them a long time to oil the lanes. Then I chat with the other league members and try to watch people bowling on the lanes. Being left handed I think the only thing that would help prepare me better is knowing the pattern. But since I tend to use the outside and am a lefty I don't have to worry about other people throwing on the same side as me.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    well if my competition is on a sunday, i'll play on the friday and cool on the saturday..
    what if it's on a weekday?

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

I say you keep practicing, cause there is no better teacher than Mr. Practice himself.

Ringer

for me i keep practicing and rest for a day before the tournament..
    Speed: 12-14 mph
    Rev Rate: 150-200
    Style: Tweener

I'm a little late to this thread, but better late than never.

I usually bowl on the lanes the night before during No-Tap, usually the oil pattern in the same throughout the weekend this way I can make adjustments of where I'm going to be starting (most likely) the next day.
    I only have 3 balls so I have them all ready, even though I really only trust throwing one. Take a seat where I feel no one will bother me too much and just bowl and try to enjoy it as much as I can. Also, paying attention to the other bowlers and seeing how their ball reacts to the lanes in the middle and outside.

Chats: 0

When I used to bowl the regional PBA circuit I would always have a trunk full of ball. Now in my golden years, I carry 4 balls have 2 others at home and have learned to make adjustments to my game ie; hand position, speed, and break points and I deal with it. Sometimes too many balls in ones arsenal will get very confusing and if you didn't bowl well, then theres the thought that you brought the wrong balls. Get 3 or 4 that will give you a different look on different patterns, learn how they react and practice with them. I know guys that have to buy the latest ball coming out, and then turn around and sell them for 1/2 of what they paid a month later.

As far as how to prepare for tournaments, try to go to the center you'll be bowling in and get some practice in. Every house is different even from the smell of the place to the lighting, and the acoustics. I've shot in 13 or 14 USBC (ABC) Nationals all over the country and I can tell you, every experience was different. While bowling in the Nationals is something I think everyone should try to do at least once, it is an experience you will never forget. Go, relax, and throw your best possible shots. Learn as you're bowling for the next tournament.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12