Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping for tournaments

Chats: 0

Default Prepping for tournaments

Hi all,

I bowled in my first tournament a while ago and was nowhere near prepared for it. How do you guys get ready for tournaments and do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Casey

In what way did you feel unprepared? Equipment related? Skill related? Nerves? Didn't meet dress code? Please be more specific.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I bring all my equipment. The night before I go to the alley and get acquainted with the place. Find the restroom, pro shop, etc and bowl a couple of games. That gives me a feeling for the approach and doesn't let the bigger houses feel so darn huge (which makes the lanes seem smaller). I show up to the tournament early and try to see if they will tell us anything about the pattern. If not, I watch bowlers to see where they are playing to score well. Then I go outside and select what equipment I want to bring in with me. I usually bring in six balls including my plastic spare ball. Then I get a something to drink, sit down, relax and have fun.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I bring all my equipment. The night before I go to the alley and get acquainted with the place. Find the restroom, pro shop, etc and bowl a couple of games. That gives me a feeling for the approach and doesn't let the bigger houses feel so darn huge (which makes the lanes seem smaller). I show up to the tournament early and try to see if they will tell us anything about the pattern. If not, I watch bowlers to see where they are playing to score well. Then I go outside and select what equipment I want to bring in with me. I usually bring in six balls including my plastic spare ball. Then I get a something to drink, sit down, relax and have fun.
    wow up to 6 balls! dam! i only have 2 now.. getting the 3rd one is already a difficult task!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I bring 6 inside. I travel with 13. When I lose it's because someone else out bowled me, not because they had better equipment of I didn't have available what was needed to match up to the lane condition.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I bring 6 inside. I travel with 13. When I lose it's because someone else out bowled me, not because they had better equipment of I didn't have available what was needed to match up to the lane condition.
    thats just so many dude! am jealous!!

Ringer
    Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    thats just so many dude! am jealous!!
    same here.. lol.. i only have 3 balls.. Brunswick Anaconda (bought it new.. about US$200), a yellow stormy spare ball (bought a used one, about US$40) and a reactive ball that i don't even know the name.. lol.. (a used ball also.. $52)

btw, my tournament prep is just finding my strike line and practicing the 10-pin and 7-pin spares..

Bought my lane 1 maxxx curve in Singapore for $243.4619 USD
    Columbia 300 White Dot Black Berry for $94.2433 USD
    Dexter SST8 Shoes for $212.0474 USD
    Brunswick 2 ball roller for $117.8041 USD

converted them into USD thru yahoo currency converter..

I usually bring 5 with me. Any more than that, I'll think too much about which ball to use and what line to throw, not be able to execute.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    wow up to 6 balls! dam! i only have 2 now.. getting the 3rd one is already a difficult task!
    I know, I only have one and I thought that was enough, haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast