Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Randy Pedersen on "how to get more revs"

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Test your wrist strength

To test your wrist hold your ball down by your side with your palm facing forward and your wrist relaxed. Then cup your wrist forward and count to 10 slowly. If you can hold your wrist cupped that long then your wrist is strong enough.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    To test your wrist hold your ball down by your side with your palm facing forward and your wrist relaxed. Then cup your wrist forward and count to 10 slowly. If you can hold your wrist cupped that long then your wrist is strong enough.
    okay.. let me test it now..

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    okay.. i can hold up for 10 seconds no problem.. just that the ball is pressing on the underneath of the knuckle part on the palm.. maybe because this ball of mine was drilled to be fitted with a guard and i'm not using any guard now.. thats why? trying to bowl without guard..

After going through 6 different thumb hole pitches the last year (going from 0 lateral to 0 forward, to 3/8's forward, and eventually ending up at 5/8 left lateral, 1/8 forward), I think wrist strength while important is an overrated factor. How secure you are able to hold the ball in position, with your thumb, without grabbing onto it is key.

This tip is rather advanced. And it depends on your game. Although I have been working on releasing the ball like this myself. Haven't video taped myself doing it yet, but with the forward pitch I'm using, uncupping wrist makes it easier to get ball off my hand.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by slmrcs View Post
    After going through 6 different thumb hole pitches the last year (going from 0 lateral to 0 forward, to 3/8's forward, and eventually ending up at 5/8 left lateral, 1/8 forward), I think wrist strength while important is an overrated factor. How secure you are able to hold the ball in position, with your thumb, without grabbing onto it is key.

This tip is rather advanced. And it depends on your game. Although I have been working on releasing the ball like this myself. Haven't video taped myself doing it yet, but with the forward pitch I'm using, uncupping wrist makes it easier to get ball off my hand.
    Wrist strength is overrated? So it doesn't matter if you can cup the ball? I really hope I'm misunderstanding you here. The only wrist strength needed is to cup the ball. While we are at it, it's not true wrist strength but rather the ability for the forearm muscles to maintain a bent wrist (cupped) position so it's really forearm strength.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by slmrcs View Post

I get the impression here you think the talk about wrist strength and cupping the ball here is just about holdng the ball and not dropping it and a clean release.

It's about imparting rev's on the ball. Cocking your hand and cupping it are used to increase rev's and hook.

Yes "How secure you are able to hold the ball in position, with your thumb, without grabbing onto it is key." (squeezing) is important. But with a properly fitted ball you can have that and still cup the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

This had some popularity a while back to strengthen wrists. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...eBase:11176813

thanks for tip. i'll try this tomorrow on my evening league. i'm just a rookie (is that the right term)....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12