Thread: Question for any college coaches out there...

Default Question for any college coaches out there...

Hello, my name is Chuck and I have several questions regarding college bowling. I have a 16 year old son who is very interested in bowling in college as he gets his degree in the math or science fields. He has very strong academics as well as a solid game. He has had formal coaching from Mark Baker and Barry Asher in southern California. He has 2 years of high school left, but attends a school that is very strong in academics but has no bowling team. He just finished this junior season with a 209 average on Kegel challenge patterns and 3 scores (2 300's, one in league and another with an 820 series in the doubles event of the junior city tournament here in our town). I really have no idea how to promote him to colleges and would like some advice on how to do this if possible. Thank you in advance for any replies to this thread!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Hello Chuck. I am not a college coach but can tell you how I went about getting scholarship offers from the colleges I was interested in. Given the explosion of the internet since I graduated in '87 it should be a little easier.
    Look up the names of the coach and athletic director of each college your son is interested in. Also try to obtain background on their coach and program.
    Make a list of accomplishments (like mentioned above).
    Make a DVD of your son bowling.
    Obtain references from the previous coaches. Having coachable players is important to coaches.
    With all the intel gathered, have your son write a letter to the coach explaining why he wants to bowl at that college with that coach.

I didn't hear from any of them until my senior year. Then I received offers from every school I did this with. Yes, I embellished on why that school or coach as I really didn't know who most of the coaches were, but it worked.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by straight1 View Post
    Hello, my name is Chuck and I have several questions regarding college bowling. I have a 16 year old son who is very interested in bowling in college as he gets his degree in the math or science fields. He has very strong academics as well as a solid game. He has had formal coaching from Mark Baker and Barry Asher in southern California. He has 2 years of high school left, but attends a school that is very strong in academics but has no bowling team. He just finished this junior season with a 209 average on Kegel challenge patterns and 3 scores (2 300's, one in league and another with an 820 series in the doubles event of the junior city tournament here in our town). I really have no idea how to promote him to colleges and would like some advice on how to do this if possible. Thank you in advance for any replies to this thread!
    Joe Slowinski has a series of articles of bowling in college on his site. http://www.bowlingknowledge.info I would look at the sections for youth bowlers.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Thanks guys for the great advice! I appreciate any other ideas anyone is willing to share....

Especially since your son doesn't have the varsity high school league setup, billf's advice is pretty on point. Some schools may not need as expansive a portfolio but the scholarship programs are competitive, no doubt.