Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am 17 and I want to get better at bowling for College

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Putting the proper fingers in the holes is not just about holding the weight of the ball. Using the the index and middle fingers will reduce the rev's, the leverage you apply and change the tilt and rotation of the ball. Not to mention you'll restrict the amount of changes you can make with your release, to affect the balls motion.

Then couple that with being a left hander and using a ball drilled for someone else and a right hander. Your not going to get the optimum performance out of the ball.

Given if your using one of your dads old balls, ask him to at least have it plugged and redrilled to fit you and layed out for a left hander.

This will give you a chance to work out any fit problems and Also make sure to use the the right fingers so you can establish a pap for throwing that way
    before getting "your own ball"

If you use a pap from throwing it with the index and middle fingers for the layout, then change to the other fingers later the pap will be way off in regards to the layout.
    yeah I changed from using my index finger and middle finger, to my ring finger and middle finger! My coach who is my uncle, helped my find my strike zone, and I hit a 195 today, I left 2 open frames and finished with a X 4/ 81 X X X 6 2 8/ 9/ X X 7 = 195
    I am excited to get my new ball, and I"m hoping with getting that score my dad would be convinced to get me my own ball! I'm thinking on getting a critical theory ball!
    I never took that into consideration the whole re-drilling, but I think it'll be more efficient for me to get my own ball, With the change of fingers helped me get better control with the ball, and my strike zone is from the 2nd arrow, to the half of the first arrow, not touching the first arrow, but on the right of it,
    With day 1 of coaching he has helped me go up from my ex personal best of 189, to 195.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I just noticed this in your video ( looks like nobody else did either) was that the ball your using has a conventual grip. as opposed to a fingertip. That makes it a little harder to hook the ball like you see others doing.

The conventional grip lets bowlers insert their fingers into the finger holes down to the second joint from the top. This grip is usually the best for beginners because it gives a greater feeling of security and confidence when holding the ball. Also, this grip allows better control while learning the fundamentals of the sport.
    The 'fingertip' grip is the most used among league and better bowlers. Because the fingers are only inserted into the ball as far as the first joint, it increases the distance between the thumb and fingers, thus giving a brief extra time difference between the thumb and fingers being released, which allows the fingers to give more 'lift', so imparting more revolutions to the ball

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I also went back and listened to your video again. Did I hear you say you throw the ball at 42 mph? If so that is faster than the ball can react. It will never hook at a speed like that. How are you measuring your ball speed? Of course I may have mis-understood. If so what is your ball speed?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I just noticed this in your video ( looks like nobody else did either) was that the ball your using has a conventual grip. as opposed to a fingertip. That makes it a little harder to hook the ball like you see others doing.
    Are you sure? I thought I saw blue fingertip grips.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaStroker View Post
    I also went back and listened to your video again. Did I hear you say you throw the ball at 42 mph? If so that is faster than the ball can react. It will never hook at a speed like that. How are you measuring your ball speed? Of course I may have mis-understood. If so what is your ball speed?
    I thought Sam said 14mph but the sound has a bad echo so I may be mistaken.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Are you sure? I thought I saw blue fingertip grips.
    Went back and looked, it does look like there might be some grips in it. But he's putting fingers (look at about a 1:29 min into it) in all the way to the second knuckle like a conventional grip. So those are either some big fingerholes or the grips are wore out alot.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-03-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

14 would make more sense. I never heard of anyone throwing 42. Team him up with Michael's airball guy and stand back and watch the carnage. LOL. Us southern boys have a hard time understanding people that don't drawl.
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Blog Entries

I figured his dad let him use the over sized worn out grips lol
    Southern drawl? Nothing sexier on a lady than a real southern drawl. I'm originally from the Boston area. My dad was a truck driver and I would go during the summer. My first time hearing that drawl from the waitress at the truckstop and I knew I was born in the wrong generation and wrong part of the country.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I figured his dad let him use the over sized worn out grips lol
    Southern drawl? Nothing sexier on a lady than a real southern drawl. I'm originally from the Boston area. My dad was a truck driver and I would go during the summer. My first time hearing that drawl from the waitress at the truckstop and I knew I was born in the wrong generation and wrong part of the country.
    All southern waitresses are required by law to call every male customer Honey, Sweetie, or the properly drawled Shuguhh.
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Blog Entries

When I first moved to Ohio the cashier at a local store called me honey. I went through her line for several consecutive days because she was real cute. Honey or Sweetie each time. Then one day there was a man in the line in front of me. I was heartbroken when she called him Honey. I asked her out anyway. She was pretty cool for a few months but had zero ambition in life other than to find a husband to support her. So I went and found a woman with the same ambition but hid it better lol
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast