Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First finger tip ball and spans that are way to far off

Chats: 131

lucky for me, My pro shop here is good with drilling.. 1st ball and it fits nicely.. Thrown pretty well now.. Heee!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

^^^^^so true. Looking back the first pro I went to stretched my hand as far as possible while the other told me to relax my hand.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Finally got a chance to measure how far off drilling is. With my newphew's thumb in ball, and fingers relaxed over holes (fingers not stretched out, but definitely not contracted or held back), the crease of first joint is not close to center of finger hole.

It's on the edge of hole drilled to fit the grips!!!!!!

the distance between edge of the drilled hole, and center of hole is 1/2 inch. So span was off by 1/2 inch on both finger. If I measured wrong then maybe 3/8's.
    To illustrate how bad this is another way, if he puts fingers in grips, his thumb can only go about 80% into thumb hole. The entire bottom of thumb can't even get into the hole!

I will NOT take ball back to where it came from. I see no point - so I have another hole that is 1/4 off, or 1/4 long or whatever. 1/2 inch is not a mistake, that is not knowing what you are doing. And my nephew did confirm that the guy stretched out his hand before measuring.

I've been told that a properly fitted ball will allow you to insert the fingers in, then the thumb fully in, and then you should be able to slide a single pencil between your palm and the ball. if you can't get the pencil in there the span is too long. If you can get 2 pencils in the span is too short.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

yes, it will. I think that's generally a good rule to go by. However, in my nephews case, so much of his thumb can not get into hole, that you could fit some thick markers under his palm.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

I started to use a finger tip ball at the end of May. I noticed my thumb ends up a little sore. Define try going to check my span after reading the info posted here. Sure is some great info about finger tip grips here.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

does fingertip necessarily have to be in both fingers holes? I'm not talking about the thumb hole.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by martinezsam2495 View Post
    does fingertip necessarily have to be in both fingers holes? I'm not talking about the thumb hole.
    If you mean do both holes need to be drilled the same, both fingertip or both conventional, then No.

There's what's called a Sarge Easter Grip this is where the middle finger is fingertip and the ring finger is drilled conventional.
    Example:

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    If you mean do both holes need to be drilled the same, both fingertip or both conventional, then No.

There's what's called a Sarge Easter Grip this is where the middle finger is fingertip and the ring finger is drilled conventional.
    Example:
    wow.. this shows exactly how i would want to know how it would look like.. awesome! Thanks alot bowl!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

By now I took my nephew to 2 more pro shops. They do the same thing, they flatten his hand against the ball, stretch fingers out as far as possible, and then proclaim the span is correct.

when one guy say that my nephew's fingers were not in grips with thumb in ball (it's not possible since the span is 1/2 inch too long) he chastised my nephew for holding the ball wrong, and told him to not take fingers of the ball.

there are the number 1 promoters of 2 handed bowling - lousy ball drillers. Cause honestly, the span is off by 1/2 and inch!!!!!!!!! and these people can't spot it. One a form PBA pro who has won titles on TV. And I'm telling them, his ball has the same span as my ball, and my hand is much larger.

Years ago I went to 6 drillers before I got a marginally correct span. I only truly get the right span by pointing out errors in drilling and telling people what to do.
    Now, what do I do, take him on a 3 hour drive to a good driller recommended online, or go into a pro-shop and DEMAND they drill span I tell them to?

Anyone who stretches the hand all the way out when measuring span is a moron!!!!

Seriously, is that how you bowl? Did you ever here a bowling instructor say "when you're hand is in the ball, you want to feel your muscles and ligaments stretch as taught as possible"

get this - since my nephew can only put his thumb about 80% in the thumb hole, with fingers in grips, there is a big open space under palm. One guy put a pencil through space as proof that the span is too short!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast