Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First finger tip ball and spans that are way to far off

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Are these certified pro shops?
    I empathize with you but unfortunately do not have a good answer for you. Everything you're saying makes sense, common sense. So I don't know why it isn't getting across to the drillers. As for the former pro, just shows that being a good bowler doesn't make a person good at anything else.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

There is only 1 certified pro-shop that isn't a long drive away. Ironically, one person I went to, used to work there for years, so I'm not too sure about that.

Just going over this article from Ron Clifton: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/btm05_files/btm5.htm

I highlight this section:

1. Locate the two creases at your finger joints and mark a line in the middle between the two as shown in photo.

2. Set your ball on a table, fully insert your thumb and lay your fingers across the holes and stretch them pretty taught, then relax the hand.

3. Once the hand is relaxed the line you drew between the two creases should fall within one eighth of an inch to the edge of each fingerhole.

He says twice to relax a hand. But now I have 3 drillers who stretch out fingers are far as they go. Why do pro shop people not know basic information available online? This I believe is the number 1 cause of poor drilling. As far as where the crease lines up, I believe this is a valid way to check span, but not if pro-shop people stretch out or push back the fingers to make it line up properly!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

Could it be that since he is 13, they are thinking that they can make it long with the assumption that he is not done growing and will be able to grow into it? I remember having one ball drilled when I was a kid and when I got it the span was a little long but in a couple months it was fine.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I would like to see a photo of your nephews hand in the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Just took this morning

Photo of fingers over holes, shows just makes it past hole used to fit the grips in. His fingers not stretched, but absolutely not contracted. Normal, relaxed as should be.

Another photo shows how much of his fingers can fit into the grips with his thumb fully inserted in thumb

Another photo is how far his thumb can get into hole, with fingers fully inserted into grip - in this one notice extreme negative angle, and his thumb can only reach 80% into the thumb hole. (one pro shop said the span is too short because of space under hand!!!! Yes, normally that space is short hand, but please, loot at that angle thumb needs to be just to reach the hole).

I am not emailing these photo's to pro-shops and will wait for 100% assurance that this is no good before going anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Just inline posting the pics.

With_fingers_fully_inserted.jpg

-----------------------------------
    Seth_1stjoint_crease_span.jpg

-----------------------------------
    Finger_thumb_fully_inserted.jpg

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I offer this as a comparison. I have a relaxed grip.

Here I am thumb fully inserted and stretched. (Though I could stretch some what farther, if I force it.)

Here I am thumb fully inserted and relaxed.

Here I am thumb fully inserted and relaxed more. (the centerline is right at 1/8" from the edge of the grip hole.)

Here I am thumb fully inserted and fingers inserted.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Here I am thumb fully inserted and fingers laying across holes as you would hold the ball (the yellow mark on ball is 1/8" from grip edge, fingers out to better see the relationship of lines to hole edge and mark )

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Given if the thumb is fully inserted in the thumbhole in the "Seth_1stjoint_crease_span.jpg" picture and the fingers are laying flat against the ball, the fingers appear to be about the right place.

In the picture "With_fingers_fully_inserted.jpg" it looks like he's not laying the palm and fingers flat against the ball. The palm is pulled away from the ball and the fingers look bent and that's pulling the thumb out. (The hand doesn't look Normal, relaxed)

But maybe I'm missing something here, We need some other opinions.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

It appears in all the pics that your nephew's wrist is bent back. If so I'm sure it was in an attempt to get better pics but changes how the fingers lay across the ball. Nobody should actually roll a ball with their wrist in that position. Those that do break their wrist do so AFTER the thumb exits. I'm not saying you're right or wrong just that the angle of the wrist is creating a poor angle to judge by.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast