Thread: My experience on the Vivid

Default My experience on the Vivid

My first tryout was not what I wanted, it hooked way too much and lost so much energy in the midlane. Hitting the pocket was not an issue just getting the ball to carry through the pins was. I came to the conclusion this is a ball exclusively for really heavy oil and limited at that in regards to lane breakdown rate. In my case maybe one game at most on the lanes I bowl on.

So I decided to see if I could tweek the ball some to gain back lost energy and my options were to polish or take it up to 4000 grit. I went with the polish and it did help a great deal, broke a little later and had so much of a better impact on the pins. One or two games is all I got out of it and lane breakdown had me going for a change to a less agressive ball.

In conclusion this ball is not one you want as the only weapon in the bag. It is very picky on when and how it works but I feel it really is a pin killer for the short time it can be used. Most likely I am not on as heavy of an oil shot as available such as a US Open pattern or the Blue pattern. So my guess is this may be just the ball for those times when the pattern is the most difficult!

Next I will try going to a 4000 grit (2000 OTB) and see how it reacts on the normal house shots.
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up
    Infinite Theory, Storm Vivid and T Zone for spares
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Great post dgz924s! You're exactly right about the things you said. The Vivid is very strong and surface changes may be necessary to get the correct ball reaction on your normal conditions. But once you do get it dialed in, it's awesome! 4000 is definitely your next step to try. After that 4000 with polish to go even farther if you need to.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

That's what I love about having my own ball spinner. It's fun to experiment with the ball and see how you can tweak it to work better for your shot.
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Chats: 36

I have had a Vivid now for one week and have thrown about a dozen games with it. I am keeping it very clean and from what I can see thus far, the Vivid really really hits. I have had more high energy "messenger" strikes with this ball than even my Critical Theory, which also hits very hard. Really liking the Vivid so far...

Jay
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

That's good to hear. Have you sent Michael a private message rubbing in how good your Vivid works while his didn't lol
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 36

The thought never crossed my mind.....until you mentioned it.

Jay
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Country song: I swear!!

Quote Originally Posted by The German Shepherd View Post
    The thought never crossed my mind.....until you mentioned it.

Jay

No need to mention it!! I just read it!! ()…. I swear It was a BAAAAAAAAD Ball! I know others that have the vivid seem to like it a lot! I even thought it smelled real nice!! I just couldn’t get it in the pocket, and even the GREAT Bowling Icon (((Jason))) couldn’t bowl with it…. I do wish I had another one!
    It would be fun to beat Jason with his own go to ball!!! Anyone want to give me one, for a second chance at the ball!!! I can handle a heavy oil ball…. I have had some great games with the V.G. Nanno!
    Any Storm Reps, want to give me a new Vivid so that I can prove that mine was just a bad apple? I will give you my mailing address ,,, no problem,,,, I am just asking for another chance,,, am I asking too much?? Mr Storm?

Ringer
    Chats: 32

just mail Norm Duke.. he's a Storm guy.. lol..
    Speed: 12-14 mph
    Rev Rate: 150-200
    Style: Tweener

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    No need to mention it!! I just read it!! ()…. I swear It was a BAAAAAAAAD Ball! I know others that have the vivid seem to like it a lot! I even thought it smelled real nice!! I just couldn’t get it in the pocket, and even the GREAT Bowling Icon (((Jason))) couldn’t bowl with it…. I do wish I had another one!
    It would be fun to beat Jason with his own go to ball!!! Anyone want to give me one, for a second chance at the ball!!! I can handle a heavy oil ball…. I have had some great games with the V.G. Nanno!
    Any Storm Reps, want to give me a new Vivid so that I can prove that mine was just a bad apple? I will give you my mailing address ,,, no problem,,,, I am just asking for another chance,,, am I asking too much?? Mr Storm?
    I would think the warranty still applies. IIRC it is for one year.
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up
    Infinite Theory, Storm Vivid and T Zone for spares