Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help setting up a House bowling leagues

Default help setting up a House bowling leagues

Hello bowlers,

I am working on setting up a league and have a few questions.

What is a good way to post scores?

The league is $12 a night, allowing 3 games per player. Each team will consist of 4 players.

What is best scoring format? Just tally the total pins per team, per week and add up? If the league runs 12 weeks, should I do playoffs after the 9th or 10th week?

Thank you
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-15-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: move to correct forum and more informative title

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by tournydude View Post
    Hello bowlers,

The league is $12 a night, allowing 3 games per player. Each team will consist of 4 players.

What is best scoring format? Just tally the total pins per team, per week and add up? If the league runs 12 weeks, should I do playoffs after the 9th or 10th week?

Thank you
    Personally I think winning games should mean more than than total pins. There is no "best" format. The simplest system is probably one point for a game won, and one point for having the higher total wood. Total of four points up for grabs. A 7 point system with 2 pts. per win puts a little more emphasis on wins. then you can get into all sorts of crazier stuff, Individual points or match play points.

Some bowling centers will post your scores and standings on line.

With that short a season I would think a position round week 11 and championship match the last week.
    John

So if there is 8 teams. It would go like this?

Example:

Week 1
    Team 1 v. Team 2
    Team 3 v. Team 4
    Team 5 v. Team 6
    Team 7 v. Team 8

For each match, the team that knocked down the most pins gets 1 pts (or 2), but then what is higher total wood?

What is a position round? And how would I do that?

Thank you John!

Total wood is where each team compares their total score for all three games against their opponents total score. Highest total wins one point. A position round is where the team in first place bowls against the team in second place, the team in third place bowls the team in fourth place and so on. This keeps teams who are really close in points from having an advantage by bowling against a weaker opponent or a disadvantage by bowling a much stronger opponent.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

What kind of league? Mixed doubles, any combo of 4, 3 men 1 women? Are you going to include handicap? If so, what percentage and of what score?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Hello bowlers,

If your talking about the stand sheet, you post them at the bowling lanes with the other standing sheets.
    There are also some online places you can post standing sheets at Bowl.com or if your using Bowling league secretary software you can post through their site.

That's okay

What is best scoring format?Just tally the total pins per team, per week and add up?
    There isn't any.
    Most leagues use the standard Team versus Team system.
    This is where your team plays another team in head to head competition, on the same pair of lanes.
    The team with the highest score (including Handicap if used) each game, wins the points for that game. Also the team with the highest series receives points for the series win.

Example:
    In a 7 point system the team would get 2 points per game win and 1 point for series. For a total of 7 points.

If the league runs 12 weeks, should I do playoffs after the 9th or 10th week?
    For a 12 week league, I'd just do 1 position round on the last night. At most 2 position matches one on week 6 and one on week 12.

A position night/round is where the first place team plays the second place team, third place plays fourth place and so on

You'll also have to talk to the house about setting up a league.
    1 What days of the week are available
    2 What times are available
    3 How many weeks you want to bowl
    4 How many lanes you will need
    5 Will this be a sanctioned or unsanctioned league and what that involves?

If it's a sanctioned league you have to check with the local association.

Here's a link to the USBC League Operations handbook
    leagueoperationshb.pdf
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-15-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

@billf some nights are combo and some are all guys and all girls.

I need to post the scores online within a website, just wondering an easy way to do this.

As for the scoring I think I get it more now. So if 2 teams are facing each other, and playing 3 games.....the team that wins each game gets 2 points and the team that has the highest series (or wood) gets 1 point. Preference on series or wood?

Usually how should the prize money be distributed??

1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Highest bowler wood? And most improved?

I appreciate all of your help guys!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Usually how should the prize money be distributed??

1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Highest bowler wood? And most improved?

I appreciate all of your help guys!
    Prizelists usually have payouts for:

Team payouts based on position (1st place, 2nd place etc..)

Men & Women's-
    Individual High handicap game
    Individual High scratch series
    High Average
    Most improved

Team-
    High handicap game
    High scratch series
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Ok, so this is what I'm thinking.

I will have 11 different bowling leagues. Each league will consist of 8 teams, 4 players each.
    Each night will be $12 per bowler.
    Each league will run 12 weeks.

Each week will match up 2 teams vs each other. In week 6, I will do a position round. Then week 7-11 will continue play. In week 12 I will do another position round and make it fair for the prizes.

Each match of the week will be for consist of 3 games and be for 7 points. The winner of each game will be awarded a point and the highest total wood will be awarded 1 point. After week 12, the bowler that most improved his average will get a prize. The highest total wood will get a prize. Also, the bowler with the highest average will receive a prize. Each of the top 3 teams will receive a prize too (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Should I have any specific rules?
    Does this sound good?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

11 Leagues!!!!! What? do you own a bowling Alley? or is this for Wii bowling.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast