Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Becoming A Coach

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

One big, huge issue is knowing or being able to prove that whoever is taking the exam is who they say they are. I don't know of any licensed or certified profession where the individual can take the course and test on-line. It's also why companies in my area will not accept diplomas from University of Phoenix but do from other schools that require the student to attend the school in person at least a couple of times.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

To solve that problem the USBC could create a secure website that only bowling alleys that are registered with them can access. In order to do the higher certification you would have to go there to take the course on a computer at the bowling center. It would fall on the manager there to verify tha the person taking the exam or course is who they say they are. Problem solved. Besides we are talking abput volunteering for something that has seen a decline in participation across the country in the past 15 or so years.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by TheSheibs View Post
    To solve that problem the USBC could create a secure website that only bowling alleys that are registered with them can access. In order to do the higher certification you would have to go there to take the course on a computer at the bowling center. It would fall on the manager there to verify tha the person taking the exam or course is who they say they are. Problem solved. Besides we are talking abput volunteering for something that has seen a decline in participation across the country in the past 15 or so years.
    I think you just don't realize that there's things you just can't do online and what is involved with becoming a bronze or silver or gold level coach, becoming a certified coach it isn't just some volunteer program. And going to the conferences isn't just about verifying your "identity" as in "here's my ID card, it's me".

And if all you want to do is go volunteer at something like a youth league. Most don't require you be a certified anything.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-18-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Anything required to volunteer in a USBC youth league can be done on-line. Most who pay the money for further certifications are looking for more than just to volunteer in youth programs. I don't mean to make it sound as if that's not important because it is. The advance certifications are for advanced training and thus advanced skill level being coached.
    I didn't mean for it to come across as verifying identity as being the only reason the seminars are needed. It was just the easiest to try to explain. The level of training and knowledge at the seminars is not something that can be easily explained, hence why being done in person is so important.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12