Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a tournament!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default some thoughts I have in regards to your bowling balls

One thing puzzles me, how come when I get a ball drilled I say, "I want this ball to have a massive back end hook" and he drills it, it looked nothing like the way this ball was drilled? I mean, this ball had everything I hoped my Vivid and Nexxus would have. I could throw it hard, stay far left, and still have so much back end hook it just CRUSHES the pocket. This ball is 3 years old too! I don't get it. One thing is for sure, the next ball I buy (which will be soon), I'm going to take the ball I used today, and say "Here, I want it drilled EXACTLY like this ball" (except the span and how big the fingers/thumb hole are)[/QUOTE

Hummmm,,, I have seen you bowl a huge number of games with your Viviid/Nexxus that were almost 300 games…. Once a 278, and 279 in a role! I have seen many, many 11/ 10 strike games come from them. Unless his ball gives you a 300,, which it hasn’t so far, I don’t know how you think his is that much better. If you can roll as many games as I have seen in the area of 9/10/ 11 strikes, I would think you have great delivery and talent, and a pretty good set of ball! You have, with me, in person, bowled some great games. Maybe it’s the OIL?? and pattern? Maybe you need a pearl ball for times when the oil is such that the others are not working.
    I don’t know why, maybe Bill knows, why your balls are drilled so differently then jeff’s! Since both are suppose to be drilled big back end balls. I know watching you bowl, and bill can see it on the tape I made of you bowling,,,,,,, you do have huge hook with the Vivid/Nexxus. I think they are dull finish if I remember correctly? That being said, maybe the the polished ball would be the answer on a given day!
    Jason, you need one!! (now you have the money)…… do it…… Make It So!!!
    p.s. Talk to Jeff, you seem to like the way his ball handles, then maybe get your ball from him, or have the same person that Drilled his ball that you like, drill your new pearl polished 300 ball!
    Jeff might sell you his used ball…. If you bowled that much better with it! Since its 3 years old, he might make a good deal on it!!

Blog Entries

Default Maybe a mid range ball??

Jason on the dvd that came with the spinner, it stated that high rev bowlers don' need, and most don't use high oil aggressive balls! Do to there high revolutions. Could it be that a lesser ball might work better, because of your extreme amount of rev's? I wonder if jeffs ball, because of its age, is much less agressive, and with your style of bowling, you need a less aggressive ball? Just a thought! Something I picked up on the DVD... m

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Jason, how is the ball drilled differently? How about some pics of your Nexxus and Vivid so I can see how they are drilled. I have seen their reaction for you and I will admit, for a high rev, high speed cranker you play further right in the videos than I had expected.
    Each make of ball will have a different core so the pin, CG, MB will be in different places. This can cause the same drill pattern to appear slightly different. Jason, are your balls dual angle drilled? From my little knowledge of drilling and seeing you bowl in the videos and what you want the ball to do I would try a 70degree drill angle, 20 degree VAL with a balance hole at P3.
    Michael, what you picked up on the dvd is correct. Very good crankers don't use the very aggressive balls. If you pay attention to the arsenal the pro's normally use, they very seldom use their manufacturer's strongest balls. Wes Mallot uses a Frantic or Outlaw most tournaments instead of the Critical Theory or Defiant. Sean Rash didn't use the Nexxus all season. Ronnie Russell is the one that surprised me the most though. No Hell Raiser Revenge for him. No Reckless either. This DV8 pro chose to go with the Too Reckless. Given the entry angle of the matches I saw this ball couldn't turn hard enough for him. I believe that was the reason that DV8 came up with the Marauder. This ball is all back end hook with a huge entry angle (yes I want one).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Hummmm,,, I have seen you bowl a huge number of games with your Viviid/Nexxus that were almost 300 games…. Once a 278, and 279 in a role! I have seen many, many 11/ 10 strike games come from them. Unless his ball gives you a 300,, which it hasn’t so far, I don’t know how you think his is that much better. If you can roll as many games as I have seen in the area of 9/10/ 11 strikes, I would think you have great delivery and talent, and a pretty good set of ball! You have, with me, in person, bowled some great games. Maybe it’s the OIL?? and pattern?
    First off, let me start by saying the ball is a Virtual Energy, which after looking it up, is a great ball. Secondly, I'm not saying the ball itself is "better" than the Nexxus or Vivid, I'm just saying I liked the reaction from it more than the reaction from my Nexxus and Vivid. I know because I threw my Vivid on the same lanes, same pattern and it didn't do nearly as much as this ball. I can bowl a good game with any ball (Nexxus, Vivid, Wrath, even your balls), but I want a ball to do what I want so I can bowl even better.

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Jason, how is the ball drilled differently? How about some pics of your Nexxus and Vivid so I can see how they are drilled. I have seen their reaction for you and I will admit, for a high rev, high speed cranker you play further right in the videos than I had expected.
    Each make of ball will have a different core so the pin, CG, MB will be in different places. This can cause the same drill pattern to appear slightly different. Jason, are your balls dual angle drilled? From my little knowledge of drilling and seeing you bowl in the videos and what you want the ball to do I would try a 70degree drill angle, 20 degree VAL with a balance hole at P3.
    Michael, what you picked up on the dvd is correct. Very good crankers don't use the very aggressive balls. If you pay attention to the arsenal the pro's normally use, they very seldom use their manufacturer's strongest balls. Wes Mallot uses a Frantic or Outlaw most tournaments instead of the Critical Theory or Defiant. Sean Rash didn't use the Nexxus all season. Ronnie Russell is the one that surprised me the most though. No Hell Raiser Revenge for him. No Reckless either. This DV8 pro chose to go with the Too Reckless. Given the entry angle of the matches I saw this ball couldn't turn hard enough for him. I believe that was the reason that DV8 came up with the Marauder. This ball is all back end hook with a huge entry angle (yes I want one).
    You are right. I feel with as many revs I have on the ball, I should be playing further left as well. Which is what I had to do yesterday, and I loved the back end hook. I will say, having bowled in a couple tournaments before this one where there was some top guns bowling, I'm blown away at how much their ball moves. I always just thought they had more revs than me (which still may be true), but now after throwing that Virutal Energy yesterday, I'm starting to believe it's just the way they have their ball drilled, because mine looked just as theirs did (back end hook).

Here is my balls, and what I believe Jeff's looked like going off my memory...

Having looked at the photo some more, I think the pin might be even further right than how I have it.

(Also, Bill, that Marauder looks pretty nice!)
    Last edited by JaMau24; 06-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Actually, I think the CG was further right.

Blog Entries

Default thoughts on bowling equipment

First off, let me start by saying the ball is a Virtual Energy, which after looking it up, is a great ball. Secondly, I'm not saying the ball itself is "better" than the Nexxus or Vivid, I'm just saying I liked the reaction from it more than the reaction from my Nexxus and Vivid. I know because I threw my Vivid on the same lanes, same pattern and it didn't do nearly as much as this ball. I can bowl a good game with any ball (Nexxus, Vivid, Wrath, even your balls), but I want a ball to do what I want so I can bowl even better.

Wow, Fist off let me say, you said it worked better than the Nexxus/Vivid/wrath balls. You have used his ball on other days different alleys, different oil patterns and still like the way it worked for you. You said you used it on the same lanes, same patters and they didn’t work as well. If that’s not likeing it more, then what is. Secondly, the virtual energy ball is a good ball, and maybe its just ripe for your style BECASE it is LESS of what it was 3 years ago. Going back to my point, that a less strong ball might work better for your bowling style. Thirdly, this was my opinion, which I will keep to myself from this point on!
    Like Bill, I have always been a person who thinks outside the box, on many things, and issues! Good luck with your ball quest .

This is a fact that I know is true. To be a Top Gun, you need excellent bowling mechanics number ONE!
    A great golfer, can use a bottom of the line set of clubs, and kick 99 percent of the duffers out there, with the Best Equipment Sold! Equipment is a nice edge, but true greatness is a gift,,, you have it or you don’t. One can go so far with practice, and knowledge, but the best just have it all!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Jason, I'm going to send you what I have on the dual angle drilling. In my estimation of the pictures, your drill angle isn't high enough for what you want. Also, looking at the Nexxus and Vivid, it appears that the angle is different on each of those as well so they shouldn't react the same. PLUS, why doesn't the Nexxus have a balance hole? The location of the balance hole on the Vivid is ideal for what you want (in my opinion).
    While the Virtual Energy was/is a good ball, there is no reason the other two shouldn't be able to perform AT LEAST as well.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    While the Virtual Energy was/is a good ball, there is no reason the other two shouldn't be able to perform AT LEAST as well.
    I agree. The balls I have should definitely be able to have back end like the Virtual Energy I was using yesterday. I guess they just weren't drilled correctly to give me that kind of back end hook. I'm now going to check out the info you sent me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12