Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a tournament!

Chats: 326

Default What a tournament!

So today was the tournament for our city wide league. It's a doubles league, and the top half of the league from each center, goes on to the end tournament at one specific center. There were 36 teams there, and the way it was set up, you bowl 3 games. After all 36 teams bowl 3 games, they will have a cut, where only the top 18 from that 36 advances. I think me and my teammate shot 1412 (handicap included) and we finished 6th out of all 36 teams for that cut. I had a 216, 248, and 245 after the first 3. My teammate who is a about a 170 or so avg bowler, had something like a 180+, 160+, and 190+.

After they made the cut down to 18 teams, they now had it where you only bowl 1 game to advance. The next cut was at 10. So I shot a 249, and my teammate a 197 for a 501 (including handicap). That was the first time all year we bowled over 500. We finished 2nd out of 18 teams that cut.

The next cut was at 6. and of course, we each bowl our worst game of the day. He had a 155, and me a 205 (had a very strong hit that left a ringing 10 in the 8th, which I missed by an inch.. It was the ONLY ringing 10 pin all day long! Picked an AWFUL time to show up! Struck out from that point, those extra 22 pins might have got us through). So very frustrating! We had been killing it all day, and we only probably missed the cut by less than 25 pins. We shot 413 or something, which was no where close to what we were at all day (I think we had 460+, 460+, 489, 501). Of course, you go back and look at things that game that you did wrong and just nitpick and kick yourself because you messed up, but overall, I'm happy with our performance.

We finished 8th out of 36, and I know we could have done better and should still be there bowling. I think we could have made it to the top 4, and anything could have happened then. Still, we won $500 as a team (1 more cut and we'd be talking a grand or so.. AHH!!) Winner gets $6,750 as a team I think.

I had a great time, and averaged 233 for the day. Can't wait to do it again!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Great job Jason. With all the improvements lately I'm sure next year you will do even better.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 35

Good job Jason. $500 real bucks beats 1 billion imaginary bucks any day

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Great job Jason. With all the improvements lately I'm sure next year you will do even better.
    Thanks Bill. With a little more coaching from you on how to pick up that 10 pin, I'll be even better! The best way I pick them up right now is -- Don't leave any! Which is what I did all day until that last game. With this money I won though, I'm gonna go get my spare ball adjusted to fit my hand correctly, and hopefully with that I'll be able to get more accurate at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Good job Jason. $500 real bucks beats 1 billion imaginary bucks any day
    Thanks ursus... That is very true! haha

First time I've ever really cashed at a tournament, even though I've only bowled in 3. I cashed in the last tournament I did too, but there were only 5 bowlers so I won't count it. Hopefully I'll cash in a lot of my future tournaments as well.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

cash counts no matter how many entries
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

I would say finishing in the money for any tourney is good no matter what the amount. Congrats and good luck on your next tournament.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Good Job I see a New Bowling Ball in your near future!! A pearl polished finish to complete your arsenal!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Good Job I see a New Bowling Ball in your near future!! A pearl polished finish to complete your arsenal!
    You are good at predicting the future!! I will be getting one soon. Believe it or not, I bowled the whole tournament with Jeff's Virtual Energy bowling ball which is drilled so aggressive with massive back end hook. I LOVED it. It did everything I'd want a bowling ball to do.

One thing puzzles me, how come when I get a ball drilled I say, "I want this ball to have a massive back end hook" and he drills it, it looked nothing like the way this ball was drilled? I mean, this ball had everything I hoped my Vivid and Nexxus would have. I could throw it hard, stay far left, and still have so much back end hook it just CRUSHES the pocket. This ball is 3 years old too! I don't get it. One thing is for sure, the next ball I buy (which will be soon), I'm going to take the ball I used today, and say "Here, I want it drilled EXACTLY like this ball" (except the span and how big the fingers/thumb hole are)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSheibs View Post
    I would say finishing in the money for any tourney is good no matter what the amount. Congrats and good luck on your next tournament.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast