Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powerhouse ball cleaner

Chats: 36

Default Powerhouse ball cleaner

Do any of you folks use Powerhouse Foaming ball cleaner? What is your opinion of it? What do you use?

The reason for asking is that I have been using HOOK IT for the past few months and I am noticing that even after I clean it all off the ball, there is residue left. This residue comes up if I wipe the ball down with rubbing alcohol afer using the HOOK IT. Also, what advantage is there to using higher isopropyl content alcohol? For example, I see some guys in my league use 50% or 70% isoproply. Mine is 91% isopropyl. What difference does the isopropyl content make??? Any chemists out there??

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

isopropyl is the type of alcohol it is, versus say denatured or grain alcohol. The percentage indicates the amount of alcohol to water. 70 percent isopropyl alcohol is 30 percent water, 91 percent isopropyl alcohol is 9 percent water.
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by The German Shepherd View Post
    Do any of you folks use Powerhouse Foaming ball cleaner? What is your opinion of it? What do you use?

The reason for asking is that I have been using HOOK IT for the past few months and I am noticing that even after I clean it all off the ball, there is residue left. This residue comes up if I wipe the ball down with rubbing alcohol afer using the HOOK IT. Also, what advantage is there to using higher isopropyl content alcohol? For example, I see some guys in my league use 50% or 70% isoproply. Mine is 91% isopropyl. What difference does the isopropyl content make??? Any chemists out there??

Jay
    We tried the foam here when it came out, nobody was impressed and it cost too much.

I've used Hook-it for years, I've never seen Hook-it leave a residue. It's possible it's a bad batch or got contaminated some how. Might try a new bottle. It's possible too that the residue is oil leaching up out of the pores.

As far as alcohol the main thing is the higher the percentage, the faster it will evaporate off the ball. I wouldn't go lower than 70% , 70% & 91% are okay I've used both, I like 91% for doing a mix (like with simple green). 99% evaporates too fast.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 36

Okay, so it would seem to me, from what I have read in the above posts, that a higher ISO is best. It is interesting that you have never found a residue after using HOOK IT. Have you ever done a treatment with it and followed it up with ISO? As for me, when I have done so, the residue that comes up is red/pink in color and is certainly not lane oil. I have been highly fastidious in making sure to follow the HOOK IT directions and remove ALL of the cleaner after every application. I will try another bottle of it and see what happens.

Also, you use a Simple Green solution? What is your ratio in your mixture? In other words, how much Simple Green to water to ISO do you use? Also, do you use this in place of HOOK IT or do you use it in conjunction with it?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    We tried the foam here when it came out, nobody was impressed and it cost too much.

I've used Hook-it for years, I've never seen Hook-it leave a residue. It's possible it's a bad batch or got contaminated some how. Might try a new bottle. It's possible too that the residue is oil leaching up out of the pores.

As far as alcohol the main thing is the higher the percentage, the faster it will evaporate off the ball. I wouldn't go lower than 70% , 70% & 91% are okay I've used both, I like 91% for doing a mix (like with simple green). 99% evaporates too fast.
    Last edited by The German Shepherd; 06-25-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The German Shepherd View Post
    Okat, so it would seem to me, from what I have read in the above posts, that a higher ISO is best. It is interesting that you have never found a residue after using HOOK IT. Have you ever done a treatment with it and followed it up with ISO? As for me, when I have done so, the residue that comes up is red/pink in color and is certainly not lane oil. I have been highly fastidious in making sure to follow the HOOK IT directions and remove ALL of the cleaner after every application. I will try another bottle of it and see what happens.

Also, you use a Simple Green solution? What is your ratio in your mixture? In other words, how much Simple Green to water to ISO do you use? Also, do you use this in place of HOOK IT or do you use it in conjunction with it?

Jay
    As for Hook-it, no I've never had to follow it with alcohol. I've used it since the org. formula (That stuff dissolved a guys vinyl floor, that's why they say don't get it on the inserts.) It's not leaving a residue was one of the reasons I liked it, that and the fact it cleaned stuff off that others wouldn't and left a super tacky surface.

After wiping it off I rub my fingers across the ball and you can hear it squeak.

Heres from a test I did of Hook-it

As for the Simple Green mix that's a common DIY ball cleaner, go to any bowling forum and they know it and a lot bowler's swear by it.The most common mixing ratio is 50/50, half Simple Green and Half Alcohol or Water. There are also mixes of all three in equal amounts.

I don't use it myself, I just tried it everyone was talking about it so I gave it a try. (I've tried about every cleaner I could get my hands on over the years.) It's a okay cleaner better than nothing. But it's not in the league of cleaners like Hook-it

I carried Hook-it in my bag all the time, the only reason I don't have one right now is I got some Tac-up to try and haven't used it all yet.

The best ones I've tried are Clean'N Dull and Hook-it, Tac-Up and Reacta Clean are good ones.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

I've got some Monster Tac on the way from Bowlingball.com. Anybody tried it yet?
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaStroker View Post
    I've got some Monster Tac on the way from Bowlingball.com. Anybody tried it yet?
    Yes I'm trying some Monster Tac out at the moment it does a pretty decent job
    but there are better cleaners out there like Brunswick Remove All Ball Cleaner and
    Clean'N Dull and Hook-it also the Tac-Up and Reacta Clean cleaners are really good
    ones also that does a better job of getting the oil out of and off of the ball.
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 131

i'm using powerhouse energizer ball cleaner.. any comments on this?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eugene02 View Post
    i'm using powerhouse energizer ball cleaner.. any comments on this?
    It's a basic citrus cleaner, it cleans the surface some what. But doesn't penetrate the pores well.

Chats: 131

so clean and dull would be a better option?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180