Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time buying a bowling ball.

Default First time buying a bowling ball.

Up until this point in my life I have only had the chance to bowl during the summer, keeping up an abysmal 130 average. Because I haven't been able to bowl as often as I'd like to I never took it very seriously and I have been using my parents 25 year old ball (an AMF Bobcat) with a semi-mid finger tip grip. But this year a bowling ally is opening up on my Schools campus, University of Washington, so for once I can actually bowl seriously!

Only one problem... I need a ball.

I've been searching and researching for a few days know, looking primarily at bowlingball.com and have come to somewhat understand the meanings behind RG and Differential. I tend to throw 18 mph with a slight hook at the end -- I don't throw a huge curve. I would like to have a ball that is...

1) forgiving in most lane conditions
    2) has a sharper hook rather than a long curve
    3) and of course something that would be good for an Intro ball

As far as weights go, I have heard that 15lbs is a good weight (16 is definately too much for me) I weigh around 125lbs and the ball I have been useing is 13 lbs (which seems a bit light for me). I was thinking of 14 lbs.

I have narrowed my search to a few balls that match the style of bowling I'd like to throw. Again I am very new to this so I don't necessarily know which ball would be good for me. I primarily found these balls based on reviews and based on prices.

900 Global - Sure Thing ($110)
    Hammer - Nail Smoke and Fire ($98)
    Brunswick - Loaded Revolver ($80)
    DV8 - Too Reckless ($115)
    Storm - Frantic ($108)
    Hammer - Arson ($115)
    900 Global - The Eagle LAST ONE ($109)
    Brunswick - C(system) alpha-max MEGA DEAL ($95)

So far my favorites are the Sure Thing and the Nail Smoke and Fire because they seem like forgiving balls which would be nice for a beginner like me.

I know that the next step is to go into a pro shop and ask questions. But I am unsure what quetions to ask.

Please if you have any suggestions for someone who has never bought a ball before, I would love to hear them!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JET View Post
    Up until this point in my life I have only had the chance to bowl during the summer, keeping up an abysmal 130 average. Because I haven't been able to bowl as often as I'd like to I never took it very seriously and I have been using my parents 25 year old ball (an AMF Bobcat) with a semi-mid finger tip grip. But this year a bowling ally is opening up on my Schools campus, University of Washington, so for once I can actually bowl seriously!

Only one problem... I need a ball.

I've been searching and researching for a few days know, looking primarily at bowlingball.com and have come to somewhat understand the meanings behind RG and Differential. I tend to throw 18 mph with a slight hook at the end -- I don't throw a huge curve. I would like to have a ball that is...

1) forgiving in most lane conditions
    2) has a sharper hook rather than a long curve
    3) and of course something that would be good for an Intro ball

As far as weights go, I have heard that 15lbs is a good weight (16 is definately too much for me) I weigh around 125lbs and the ball I have been useing is 13 lbs (which seems a bit light for me). I was thinking of 14 lbs.

I have narrowed my search to a few balls that match the style of bowling I'd like to throw. Again I am very new to this so I don't necessarily know which ball would be good for me. I primarily found these balls based on reviews and based on prices.

900 Global - Sure Thing ($110)
    Hammer - Nail Smoke and Fire ($98)
    Brunswick - Loaded Revolver ($80)
    DV8 - Too Reckless ($115)
    Storm - Frantic ($108)
    Hammer - Arson ($115)
    900 Global - The Eagle LAST ONE ($109)
    Brunswick - C(system) alpha-max MEGA DEAL ($95)

So far my favorites are the Sure Thing and the Nail Smoke and Fire because they seem like forgiving balls which would be nice for a beginner like me.

I know that the next step is to go into a pro shop and ask questions. But I am unsure what quetions to ask.

Please if you have any suggestions for someone who has never bought a ball before, I would love to hear them!
    The following is a link to a good article on determining the right weight.
    http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm

I would tell the pro what you've said here about what you want from the ball. I would also ask him to watch you throw a few shots with the ball that you're using. This will let him get an idea of what your axis rotation is , your rev rate, and will also let him calculate your PAP. I don't know anything about the ball you are using now, but my guess is that the mildest reactive resin ball will give you a lot more hook than what you've got.

I'm sure that I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think that long curving balls are a bit more forgiving than the more angular balls.
    John

Chats: 221

I totallyagree that the smoother balls are far more forgiving than angular ones, You won't leave as many "designer splits" with the smooth one. The 900Global sure thing wou;d be a good choice along with the AMF Cobra special edition. Another ball to look at would be the Motiv Thrash. The new Storm Manic would be another option
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I am definitely setting up an appointment with a pro shop at some point this week. Pretty much everyone I've talked to has told me to talk directly with the experts and have them decide whats best for me. The only problem with that is that I would be afraid that they'd just try to sell me one of their balls regardless if its really the best one for me.

I guess what I'm asking here is, Should I search for a ball and go somewhere where that ball is sold or should I just let a pro shop guy pick a ball for me? Is there any advantage to buying a ball online and getting it drilled somewhere?

Thanks for the input!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

A good, reputable pro shop will sell you what will work best for you. As with any business, they survive by reputation and returning customers. They may make more profit percentage off of a particular company but it would pale in comparison to the many balls you would buy from them over the years.
    Advantage to buying a ball online? You may get it quicker. Our local pro orders every two weeks. The pro I use, weekly. Other than that, no advantage. After cost of drilling, etc most times it's about the same or cheaper to purchase at the pro shop. Doing so also keeps the money in your local economy.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

If you're interested, try out www.jetbowling.com .. Any questions, ask me.

Chats: 22

I think a good pro shop will hook you up with a nice entry level ball. You will notice a big difference once you are rolling a ball custom fitted for your hand. I would imagine that a pro shop wants to sell you 3 or 4 balls over the next few years, not just 1 top of the line ball right now.

Chats: 0

Because you're just starting out, you definitely don't want a ball that's too aggressive. You'll only get disappointed and frustrated. If you go to bowlingball.com they have a rating system for all of the balls from every manufacturer. It's called "the Perfect Scale". With this rating system you can nail down where you want to be from an aggressiveness stand point and watch the videos to get an idea of how the ball might react for you. (And no I don't work for them) I've bought several balls and other equipment from them and I can tell you they are number one in my book. (free delivery and you might have the ball the next day) Also take the time to read the reviews, they're very helpful. Here's a link to a page listing balls that I would suggest near where you should start. I would stay below 200 on your first ball. Also because it appears you really are getting into this, have the pro drill it as a finger tip right off the bat. It's more comfortable as a grip and will give you better results. Good luck.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Because you're just starting out, you definitely don't want a ball that's too aggressive. You'll only get disappointed and frustrated. If you go to bowlingball.com they have a rating system for all of the balls from every manufacturer. It's called "the Perfect Scale". With this rating system you can nail down where you want to be from an aggressiveness stand point and watch the videos to get an idea of how the ball might react for you. (And no I don't work for them) I've bought several balls and other equipment from them and I can tell you they are number one in my book. (free delivery and you might have the ball the next day) Also take the time to read the reviews, they're very helpful. Here's a link to a page listing balls that I would suggest near where you should start. I would stay below 200 on your first ball. Also because it appears you really are getting into this, have the pro drill it as a finger tip right off the bat. It's more comfortable as a grip and will give you better results. Good luck.

Bob
    I just got my first ball the way Bob here is saying and I'm very happy with the results. I got a Storm Polar Ice ball.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Stamps View Post
    I just got my first ball the way Bob here is saying and I'm very happy with the results. I got a Storm Polar Ice ball.

Great ! Now get down to practicing and get the feel of the ball and learn the reactions of what it will do for you. Try shooting different lines and break points to get the feel of whats going on with the ball. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast