Thread: Buying my first bowling ball

Default Buying my first bowling ball

Hi! I haven't had the opportunity to bowl seriously, keeping up a, 130 average with a 25 year old AMF Bobcat. But I have finally decided to get my own ball, join an intro league, and start getting my average up. I am in the market for a new ball but have been unsure where to start. I have spent the last day or so on bowlingball.com look at different balls and learning what all the numbers mean. Primarily I would like a ball that is...

1) forgiving in most lane conditions
    2) has a sharper hook rather than a long curve
    3) and of course something that would be good for an Intro ball

I have narrowed my search to a few balls that match the style of bowling I'd like to throw. Again I am very new to this so I don't necessarily know which ball would be good for me. I found these balls based on reviews and based on prices.

900 Global - Sure Thing ($110)
    Hammer - Nail Smoke and Fire ($98)
    Brunswick - Loaded Revolver ($80)
    DV8 - Too Reckless ($115)
    Storm - Frantic ($108)
    Hammer - Arson ($115)
    900 Global - The Eagle LAST ONE ($109)
    Brunswick - C(system) alpha-max MEGA DEAL ($95)

So far my favorites are the Sure Thing and the Nail Smoke and Fire because they seem like forgiving balls which would be nice for a beginner like me.

I know that the next step is to go into a pro shop and ask questions. But I am unsure what quetions to ask.

If you have any comments on any of these balls or would like to recommend some that are not on this list I would love to hear it! Thanks!

First and foremost be sure you use a reputable ball driller. Any fool with a ruler and a drill press can call himself a pro, so ask around and look for drillers that have certification and take their job seriously. Ask other bowlers especially the higher average ones who they use. Higher level bowlers will know the best pro shops in your area. Take your current ball with you as the pro should watch you throw a few frames to get a feel for you style, ball speed, rev rate etc.. He should use your ball to find you positive axis point or PAP. from there he should be able to steer you towards the best balls for you. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Everything said above ^^. When they watch you throw just use the stance, style, etc that you want to use. Don't alter anything just to try to get more pins. The purpose is to help match your style to the layout and ball.

As a suggestion I would recommend the DV8 Reckless or Too Reckless. They both have a nice hook when drilled and thrown properly. Don't get caught up in the amount of hook as it really doesn't take much to hook properly into the pocket. Both of those balls will hook more as you learn more how to control and roll it.
    Any questions about the wonderful DV8 products just ask and I would be more than happy to try to answer them.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com