Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is reasonably expected from the bowling alley on a USBC certified league?

Default What is reasonably expected from the bowling alley on a USBC certified league?

So I bowl in 3 bowling leagues, 2 at a Brunswick XL, and the other at an older bowling alley that used to be a Brunswick but was bought by another company. Anyways, my question is what is reasonably expected of lane conditions from a bowling alley in a USBC certified league? Out of the 3 leagues, only 1 is USBC certified, but I feel like the lane conditions are so inconsistent that its very frustrating. I'm almost 100% positive that for 22 out of the 28 weeks I've been in the league, that the lanes either haven't been freshly oiled, or that people have been bowling on those lanes up to an hour before league starts so the oil is all messed up by the time the league warm ups begin. Most, if not all of the bowling alleys I've been to in my area have a 'rule' where they do not allow any bowling up to an hour and a half before leagues start, and almost certainly after they've put on fresh oil before leagues begin. Is there a way I can file a complaint against the bowling alley through USBC or how should I go about dealing with this issue? Last night, by the 2nd game, all of the other bowlers on the pair I was bowling on had already transitioned to their medium-dry oil equipment. My friend had even started throwing his 'spare' ball for strikes in the 3rd game.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Sourtower View Post
    So I bowl in 3 bowling leagues, 2 at a Brunswick XL, and the other at an older bowling alley that used to be a Brunswick but was bought by another company. Anyways, my question is what is reasonably expected of lane conditions from a bowling alley in a USBC certified league? Out of the 3 leagues, only 1 is USBC certified, but I feel like the lane conditions are so inconsistent that its very frustrating. I'm almost 100% positive that for 22 out of the 28 weeks I've been in the league, that the lanes either haven't been freshly oiled, or that people have been bowling on those lanes up to an hour before league starts so the oil is all messed up by the time the league warm ups begin. Most, if not all of the bowling alleys I've been to in my area have a 'rule' where they do not allow any bowling up to an hour and a half before leagues start, and almost certainly after they've put on fresh oil before leagues begin. Is there a way I can file a complaint against the bowling alley through USBC or how should I go about dealing with this issue? Last night, by the 2nd game, all of the other bowlers on the pair I was bowling on had already transitioned to their medium-dry oil equipment. My friend had even started throwing his 'spare' ball for strikes in the 3rd game.
    The only real complaint is to take your money elsewhere.

USBC has pretty much given up on any lane condition rules.

Chats: 32

Have to agree with Mike. Talk with the league president and approach the owner as a group with your complaints. If they are willing to change great if not consider moving the league to another house. If it's just you that has an issue with it I would suggest moving to another house that puts out conditions more to your liking.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Our house doesn't let anyone bowl on the lanes once they are oiled for league. But we are also a smaller house and nobody really comes in to open bowl before league anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Have to agree with Mike. Talk with the league president and approach the owner as a group with your complaints. If they are willing to change great if not consider moving the league to another house. If it's just you that has an issue with it I would suggest moving to another house that puts out conditions more to your liking.
    At first I thought it was just my team and I, but talking with almost all of the league bowlers, most if not all agree that the lane conditions are the worst anybody has ever had to deal with. There's another league on Wednesdays that occupies 20 lanes, and I believe one of them had complained to management. They started oiling up the lanes for a month, but yesterday, it looks like things are back to normal.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    The only real complaint is to take your money elsewhere.

USBC has pretty much given up on any lane condition rules.
    That's unfortunate. Especially with the recent uptick in popularity that the bowling TV ratings has shown the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradski9 View Post
    Our house doesn't let anyone bowl on the lanes once they are oiled for league. But we are also a smaller house and nobody really comes in to open bowl before league anyways.
    All if not most of the other bowling alleys around me do this. It just baffles me that a potentially great bowling alley with 38 lanes and leagues that fill up more than 20 of those lanes can't even maintain their lanes for league bowlers. League bowlers give them a huge portion of their profit during the week with all the lineage fees, food, and drinks that are bought. Why not do the necessary things to keep them coming back? Anyways, I'm done with that Brunswick XL for now. I'm going to be in 2 summer leagues at 2 different bowling alleys.

Banned
    Chats: 68

All if not most of the other bowling alleys around me do this. It just baffles me that a potentially great bowling alley with 38 lanes and leagues that fill up more than 20 of those lanes can't even maintain their lanes for league bowlers. League bowlers give them a huge portion of their profit during the week with all the lineage fees, food, and drinks that are bought. Why not do the necessary things to keep them coming back? Anyways, I'm done with that Brunswick XL for now. I'm going to be in 2 summer leagues at 2 different bowling alleys.
    Remember, Brunswick bowling centers are owned by Bowlmor, who also bought up AMF.

So just because you moved, doesn't mean you've changed management.

Also, bowling centers make much more off food and drink than from lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Remember, Brunswick bowling centers are owned by Bowlmor, who also bought up AMF.

So just because you moved, doesn't mean you've changed management.

Also, bowling centers make much more off food and drink than from lineage.
    Yeah, the main one I'll be bowling in is owned independently. Atmosphere and bowling conditions are great. The whole feel of the place seems like they designed the center with respect to what a true bowler wants. The other is a Brunswick Zone. For whatever reason, I feel like the smaller Brunswick Zones are kept better than the Brunswick XL in my area. Very disappointing.

And yeah, the large amount of drinks and food consumed by league bowlers is driving their revenue. If they continue to not care about lane conditions like all the other centers do, I'm sure they're going to lose a lot of league bowlers. Especially since 2 of the centers near me just spent a bunch of money changing out their old wooden lanes with the new Brunswick synthetic lanes.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

. I'm almost 100% positive that for 22 out of the 28 weeks I've been in the league, that the lanes either haven't been freshly oiled, or that people have been bowling on those lanes up to an hour before league starts so the oil is all messed up by the time the league warm ups begin
    My league is USBC certified, but people bowl on our lanes up to 15 minutes before warm up. The lanes are actually oiled while open bowling is still going on so you never know what kind of conditions you will get. I tend to get to the alley about an hour before we start because my office is right around the corner and it makes no sense for me to go home and drive all the way back, so at least I can usually gauge what lunatics were bowling on my pair for any given night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast