Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do your leagues set your average/handicap?

Default How do your leagues set your average/handicap?

Just finishing up my first league. It is non-sanctioned fun summer league. Average is calculated week to week throughout the season. I believe HC is 10% of 200 (or something like that)

I've heard some leagues set your average/handicap week 1 and leave it at that. I think that is INSANE and an open invitation to sandbagging. Especially sanctioned money leagues. I can imagine people bowling sub 100 games week 1

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

never heard of a league that didn't updated handicap, that would be horrible
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Just finishing up my first league. It is non-sanctioned fun summer league. Average is calculated week to week throughout the season. I believe HC is 10% of 200 (or something like that)

I've heard some leagues set your average/handicap week 1 and leave it at that. I think that is INSANE and an open invitation to sandbagging. Especially sanctioned money leagues. I can imagine people bowling sub 100 games week 1

If you mean by this they never change handicap or average as established on the first night of bowling. I've never heard of any league that did that.
    10% of 200 !!!!!!!!!!! That's pretty much unheard of. A typical handicap would be more like 90% of the base scratch figure.

Most winter leagues use last years league or highest book average for the entering average and hold that average for a set number of weeks/games (typically the first 3 weeks/9 games). After that it then converts to your current running average.

If a bowler doesn't have either of those, then they establish on the first night of bowling.

Summer leagues, depending on the league may establish the first night of bowling, some might use some type of book average it just depends.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-30-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Sorry, meant 90%

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Back in the dark ages, i.e. when slide rules ruled and the idea that someone might want, let alone need a home computer was incredible, there were leagues where the secretary would only update the averages every other week or less. Not only did they have to do the calculations by hand, to print the standings they would have to type a stencil and borrow a mimeograph machine.
    Last edited by J Anderson; 07-30-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: left out a phase
    John

I think my winter league uses last years avg, or book avg for the first 4 weeks and then uses the new average established, we were using 100% of 220 for handicap last year, I can't remember if we changed it for the coming year....

The leagues I've done used 100% of 220 as well. 220 - average = handicap. It makes it way harder for those with higher averages to win, but that's why you never saw a team of four really good bowlers. It was always one person who wasn't that good, two people who averaged pretty well, and a fourth who was really good.

When you have people averaging 140-150, bowling a 180 isn't that hard since it's just picking up some spares. If you average 200, bowling a 230-240 is quite a bit harder since you have to get at least a turkey or two a game with a clean game.

We have a couple teams with all 200+ average bowlers but they don't always win, and they don't understand why.... We won the league two years ago and finished second the year before that with a 140's,160's,180's and 200's average bowler on our 4 man team.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    The leagues I've done used 100% of 220 as well. 220 - average = handicap. It makes it way harder for those with higher averages to win, but that's why you never saw a team of four really good bowlers. It was always one person who wasn't that good, two people who averaged pretty well, and a fourth who was really good.

When you have people averaging 140-150, bowling a 180 isn't that hard since it's just picking up some spares. If you average 200, bowling a 230-240 is quite a bit harder since you have to get at least a turkey or two a game with a clean game.
    That 200 bowler if he/she is a good spare shooter will on average make 5-6 strikes per game, and 5 spares.

If you take a game like X 9/ X 9/ X 9/ X 9/ X 9/X = 200, and turn just one of those 9/ into a strike,
    you get X 9/ X 9/ X X X 9/ X 9/X = 219

Thats a 19 pin increase with just a 1 pin difference in what was knocked down.

Turn 2 frames of 9/ into strikes, and it's 238.

The 140-150 bowler has to improve more than 2 shots to go up 38 pins.

The 200 bowler however only had 5 opportunities to improve, where as the 140-150 bowler has a lot more due to non-strikes, and missed spares.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    We have a couple teams with all 200+ average bowlers but they don't always win, and they don't understand why.... We won the league two years ago and finished second the year before that with a 140's,160's,180's and 200's average bowler on our 4 man team.
    The higher the % of handicap (assuming the base is higher than the highest average in the league) the close it is to a coin flip on who should win each game.

No matter how good you are at bowling, it doesn't make you above average at coin flipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast