Thread: Trying to lose the wrist support

Default Trying to lose the wrist support

Basically, when I wear my mongoose wrist support I'm averaging 204, but I started using the wrist support about 10 years ago after recovering from a broken wrist (not bowling related). But now I would really like to not rely on a device as you can vary releases etc.

However if I'm not using the wrist support I can feel myself coming over and around the ball and no matter what intrybi just cannot seem to prevent this. Has anyone got any advice?

I bowl at about 17mph off the hand and never calculated my rev rate but guess its in the region of 300-350

Thanks for any help you can give at the moment in league I'm still using the support and only trying without in practice.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by harroo View Post
    Basically, when I wear my mongoose wrist support I'm averaging 204, but I started using the wrist support about 10 years ago after recovering from a broken wrist (not bowling related). But now I would really like to not rely on a device as you can vary releases etc.

However if I'm not using the wrist support I can feel myself coming over and around the ball and no matter what intrybi just cannot seem to prevent this. Has anyone got any advice?

I bowl at about 17mph off the hand and never calculated my rev rate but guess its in the region of 300-350

Thanks for any help you can give at the moment in league I'm still using the support and only trying without in practice.
    There are drills that you can do to practice your release. One is done standing at the foul line, basically swinging and releasing slowly and deliberately. The other is done kneeling on the approach with an observer - catcher in front of you. Ron Clifton explains learning releases much better than I do. Here is a link to one of his articles:http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip35.htm.
    I have also seen clips of Norm Duke and of Dick Ritger demonstrating the kneeling drill.
    John

Chats: 35

Here is a link to a page with Norm Duke teaching the release drill

http://nextlevelbowling.com/index.ph...106&Itemid=177

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I wanted to respond earlier but had to leave in a hurry. Another case of lack of planning by someone else making an emergency for me.
    Anyway, avenwhen I broke myself of the brace I did it the same way you are. Then one league night I went to put it on and it felt strange. I haven't used it since.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Thanks for the advice, I live in hong kong and there is actually a 6 lane bowling alley here that no one ever uses and is bone dry so i tent to avoid it as well but guess i will be in there every night with my spare ball. Been reading through rons tips very helpful and norms video is great too. now i guess its just a case of "good practice".