Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What balls do you use for tournys?

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Default What balls do you use for tournys?

I have some of my friends who have different balls for different tournys, more specifically tournys with sport shot and pba patterns. One guy has two balls, like a nano pearl and a nano solid, drilled out as strong as he could get them and the other guy has a whole set of 4 balls he keeps in a separate bag that he says are for the pba shots. I bowl in mostly the same tournys that they do and they don't do much better then me most the time. So i guess what I'm ask is if its worth the money to get some different equipment for those tougher shots?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by edpup316 View Post
    I have some of my friends who have different balls for different tournys, more specifically tournys with sport shot and pba patterns. One guy has two balls, like a nano pearl and a nano solid, drilled out as strong as he could get them and the other guy has a whole set of 4 balls he keeps in a separate bag that he says are for the pba shots. I bowl in mostly the same tournys that they do and they don't do much better then me most the time. So i guess what I'm ask is if its worth the money to get some different equipment for those tougher shots?
    IMO it just depends on how much of a commitment, your wanting to put into tournament bowling.

If your wanting to hit every tournament around, clean house in brackets, cash in every tournament, practice a lot and go hardcore. Yeah you might want to invest in extra equipment thats just for tournaments.

But if your like most and just want to do the locals with your friends, get in a few brackets and if you cash you cash, if you dont you dont and your okay with it.

Dont invest in a bunch of equipment, thats just going to sit. As you said above, you are doing just as good now as your friends who have the extra stuff.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I use the same equipment in tournaments as I do league and I do fine. If I had the cash I would probably get some seperate stuff.

Chats: 891

well it is good too get a extra ball or 2 cause like say you go on the shark pattern hard with 45 feet or 48 feet cant remember at this momment but say you have the world beater drilled strong and it works perfectly on the lane on the fresh oil but take this what ball would you sue when that oil pattern breaks down and the world beater is too much and you got the out burst in your bag.

say the out burst is just hitting the pocket and sometimes going high thata menas yoshould also have a peral ball in your bag soo you can abit mroe slid down the lane from what the solids cant do unless u get it drilled for that which means u have just lost most of the balls power to being able to hook in ont he shark pattern and u might go light or miss the pocket.

well im jsut trying to sa unless u are able to throw 2 balls for a longtime on fresh oil and burnt out oil then thats good but it also comes in handy to have some weaker balls for when the oil is burnt out.

for me i got a 4 ball bag and i take 6 balls to turnnys
    2 high perfomance balls pearl and sanded
    2 miderformance ball pearl and sanded
    then the last too are my entry lvl ball and my plastic ball (eather one can hit my spares/splits
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Chats: 221

A lot depends on the type of tournaments you bowl. Whether they are held on THS or a sport pattern can make a major difference in what equipment is needed
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I don't know a lot of people that have "tournament" equipment, but I know a lot of people that will drill up something new before a tournament and practice a little with it before bringing it. It's really only for serious tournaments. For me though, I am a 2 ball kinda person and I know how to adjust. I don't always score well, but when I get the money I will put some work into a well balanced arsenal.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I came into some extra money earlier this year. So, I went out and purchased four DV8 balls. I use the Misfit and Reckless for house shots and the Hellraiser Revenges (pin up, pin down) for longer and really heavy patterns. I still have my Rising, Hyroad and Victory Road for practice sessions. I also kept my Scout eurethane for when it gets super dry. Since my home house had the oiler repaired the pattern seems extra thin and goes away very fast. When I want to **** people off I throw my Storm Ice plastic ball drilled to not hook. I lay that down at 20 out to 8 and watch it hook back. It's a good way to work on increasing my rev rate and fine tuning axis tilt while messing with most of my opponents minds.

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    A lot depends on the type of tournaments you bowl. Whether they are held on THS or a sport pattern can make a major difference in what equipment is needed
    Which is why I specified sport or pba patterns in my OP.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If you normally play straight up around the ten board you can usually get away with what you have with hand and speed adjustments. If you like to open the lanes up then a good heavy oil ball will come in handy.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 891

yeah the hell raiser revenge drilled agressive will do alot on those long and heavy oiled pattersn like the shark cause u can have it drilled for a early roll and it will mvoe abit earlyer and when it hits the dry area it will grip hard cause its already on its hook
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast