Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a mistake

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Okie_Ray View Post
    I tried to do it with my old ball...was able to....Then I tried the 14# new ball and was unable to fully cup it...my wrist immediately got sharp shots of pain in it.

Note: You were saying hold the ball normally, straight down my side, and then flex my wrist up and forward almost like doing curls but only the wrist correct?
    Exactly. I really don't like to hear that you're getting sharp pains from trying to curl the 14# ball. Most of the time if the ball is too heavy the bowler either can't curl or cup it at all, or they can only hold it for a few seconds. Any pain is more of a muscle ache, like from doing three full sets of reps at the gym and would be felt in the forearm.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The Ron Clifton Wrist Test:

1: To check if your wrist is strong enough hold the ball by your side with your wrist relaxed.

Start like this-

Next Cup your wrist forward and hold it there for a slow count to 10.
    Like this:

If your wrist is strong enough to do this then it is strong enough to perform a good release.

Many people have the strength, but still allow their wrist to bend back during the swing like picture "A" above.

These people just have a lazy wrist. If your wrist is not strong enough to perform this test you should consider a lighter ball.

See:
    Click for Ron Clifton's The Bowler’s Release

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 131

Previously, I wasn't able to cup my ball when bringing it up backwards.. however now, I do it everytime.. And managed to get to game 4 with it.. Stamina's improving slowly I guess.. last time 1 game and I'm screwed.. No more strength to continue..
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 1

OK, I did it right then.

The 12 I can actually curl all the way until the ball touches my forearm.

The 14 I can't even get to picture B without pain as well as already feeling my fingers slipping. I can only get it to ro9ight between picture A and picture B. Also, I noticed last time I went bowling that I was having to rush to release the ball cause I only had contact with the tips of my thumb and finger. I have already added 3 thumb strips as well.

Separate note: Since I started bowling again I have been getting strong sharp pains just above (lower tricep area) and below my elbow (upper forearm). Feels like someone heavy is standing on it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Okie_Ray View Post
    OK, I did it right then.

The 12 I can actually curl all the way until the ball touches my forearm.
    You don't need to curl the ball all the way back to he forearm! The only bowlers I see doing that are thumbless bowlers and ones trying to crank the heck out of it and rip the cover off the ball.

Plus it tenses the muscles of the forearm, make it harder to do a free arm swing.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-13-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowl1820,, I don't cup it that far when bowling, just went I did the test.

Here are the pics of the 12 and 14 pound ball wrist test I did. 12# is convential drilled and 14# is fingertip drilled

12# at rest

12# Flexed

14# at rest - already starting to slip

14# Flexed - as far as I could get it...was already slipping from my fingers and had my entire hand flexing including trying to hold on with my little and pointer finger

Well, we did a split season in my league this year...wasn't bad (hoped for a better finish) but still not doing as well as I know I should.

Anyway, I had the thumb plugged and re-drilled for an oval and fit much more nicely. Also noticing more and more than I can sort of fling the ball around more easily so weight isn't much a factor; actually considering going to a 15 now.

I was looking at some video of me and noticing that at release I am breaking the wrist? Am I not supposed to be doing that?

Also, noticed that I have a very high speed but low revs and my current ball, while trying to hook, just can't hang with the speed and ends up rolling out at the pins. Any suggestions for a more aggressive ball...hook/roll earlier?

update: ball speed is from 16.89 - 19.98 mph and that is with me holding it against leg during first 2 steps of approach

Should i go up in weight? Or just look at more aggressive/shorter balls?

there is definitely nothing wrong witht those speeds I average 16-17 mph.

Do you know how many revs you put on the ball? if you are lower like you said it would likely take a stronger ball than a cyclone to get much movement unless the lanes are pretty dry.

Example my wife throws ~19MPH with only ~100-120 revs and usually only gets a few boards of movement(straight up 10) out of her Too Furious. where I throw a Misfit and get alot more movement becuase I throw ~400 revs.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast