Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling Ball Cleaning and Maintenance

Chats: 243

ah okay. Theyre my dads old balls from the 80's and he said he never cleaned them so they could potentially benefit from a deep cleaning?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Blog Entries
    Chats: 5

Default Plastic ball cleaning and polishing

Wonder if the same steps for cleaning a reactive ball does the same for a plastic ball and do the plastic ball absorbs oil too? My son bowls a plastic ball for now, but it looks very dull now and my ball cleaner doesn't do much to it. Also is there any other product that can be used to polish a ball? My normal pro shop don't carry the polishes I see on bowlingball.com. I was wondering if a car polish would work...just curious.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jbeck View Post
    Wonder if the same steps for cleaning a reactive ball does the same for a plastic ball and do the plastic ball absorbs oil too? My son bowls a plastic ball for now, but it looks very dull now and my ball cleaner doesn't do much to it. Also is there any other product that can be used to polish a ball? My normal pro shop don't carry the polishes I see on bowlingball.com. I was wondering if a car polish would work...just curious.
    A plastic ball doesn't absorb oil. If your son is learning to throw a hook, dull is good. If he just throws straight, polish will help keep it going straight even if he does get some axis rotation. On a plastic ball any car polish will work. n higher end balls certain additives should be avoided, like silicone.
    John

I checked on DV8's website but they don't mention any specific type of cleaner or process to use to clean their bowling balls.

So I'm trying to decide what to use on my HellRaiser Terror. I've got 12 games on it now in about 4 weeks and aside from wiping it down during and after each session I haven't cleaned it with any chemicals yet. I noticed today that it's picking up all kinds of crap so that's what I'm here now asking the question: What type, brand cleaner would be preferrable for a DV8 HR Terror?

I remember I could see all the crud showing up on my Rhino Teal through out each series, but it was solid teal and it was easy to see all the black crud. My DV8 is black and blue and it's harder to see it so I only noticed it when I ran my hand over it at the start of the second game today.

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    What type, brand cleaner would be preferrable for a DV8 HR Terror?
    You can use all USBC approved cleaners as they all will work on the DV8 balls or
    you can just buy some Brunswick cleaner and or polish to use on it since DV8 is
    also made by an offshoot company of Brunswick.

Brunswick cleaners and polishes
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 0

I have the DV8 Terror. I use a 3 equal part mix of Simple Green, 91% rubbing alcohol and water. Works great and its cheap.
    Cheers - Ryan

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
    I have the DV8 Terror. I use a 3 equal part mix of Simple Green, 91% rubbing alcohol and water. Works great and its cheap.
    That is basically the same thing I use to clean all of my bowling balls
    with except I just use a simple 50/50 mixture of Simple Green and some
    91% rubbing alcohol.

I might just try adding some water to the next batch I mix up to try and
    make the Simple Green and alcohol go farther and last a bit longer.
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    You can use all USBC approved cleaners as they all will work on the DV8 balls or
    you can just buy some Brunswick cleaner and or polish to use on it since DV8 is
    also made by an offshoot company of Brunswick.

Brunswick cleaners and polishes
    I ordered these the other day from bowlingball.com

1 2286 Ebonite Powerhouse Energizer 5 oz

1 5796 Ebonite Powerhouse Clean n' Dull 5 oz

I think I found them on the USBC list under the manfacturer 'Track Ebonite Power House'. The Energizer is approved for anytime use and the Clean n' Dull is approved for Before/After competition use.

Chats: 22

Yesterday I layed my Misfit next to my space heater. Now when I say space heater I don't mean the typical kind that looks like the inside of a toaster, I mean the kind that looks like a radiator but it's filled with oil, not water. So anyways I layed my ball about 6 inches from it, and after about 5 minutes a whole bunch of oil was visible on the surface nearest the heater. I then sprayed it with Tac Up and wiped it off. I had to rotate the ball and repeat this process about 5-6 times to get the whole surface of the ball, but I was pretty amazed at how much oil came out of the ball from this.

I wipe my ball off between shots, but honestly I do usually wait a day or 2 to spray it down and give it a proper cleaning after I bowl. I guess it just goes to show you how quickly oil can get soaked in to a ball. I was wondering why I wasn't getting much movement out of my ball at league over the weekend, I think I know why now!
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

So I got the cleaning products that I ordered the other day. Last night I sat down and used the Clean 'N Dull, unfortunately there isn't any detailed instructions on the bottle and I can't seem to find much online.

So what I did was apply some to a rag and started wiping down the ball. Yes it cleaned it up quite a bit but there is still a little bit of crud on the ball. So I did a bit more searching. I found some old forum post that stated they wiped the gel onto the ball and let it sit for 45-60 seconds then they began wiping the ball down with a rag.

Tonight I was going to do it again but this time I'm going to spread the gel on and then leave it sit for a minute or two then wipe it off.

Am I on the right track here or no?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast