Thread: Using different weight balls

Default Using different weight balls

I'm new to bowling. I'm currently using a 12 pound ball that was a gift. I would like to use a heavier ball that doesn't feel so toylike. My next investment is going to be a plastic spare ball and I'm wanting to get it at 14. I've been warned that having two different weights can mess with you. Is this true? Should I just save up and wait to get a pair at the same weight to avoid any potential problems?

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus
    I've been warned that having two different weights can mess with you. Is this true?
    In a word Yes it can and more than likely will mess with you as it
    will usually throw your timing off and make hitting your mark more
    consistently a bit more difficult. You are better off just sticking with
    one weight whether it be 12lbs. or 14lbs but if you are able to throw
    a bit heaver ball they always say a 15lb. ball is the sweet spot.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

All of my strike balls are 15lbs, but my plastic spare ball is 14lbs. I've had the spare ball in the bag for a year, and I find it much easier to make spares by going straighter, and harder by throwing a lighter, plastic spare ball. My local shop pro does the same thing, when I brough up the idea of trying it to him he told me a lot of people he knows do the same as well. I wouldn't use a heavier ball for spares though, and I wouldn't go with a 2lb difference between balls either. Throwing the lighter ball for spares does not screw me up, or change my timing. I also throw it different (I flatten my wrist and throw it more end over end) and that doesn't mess with me either. Take whatever I say with a grain of salt, remember your reading a post from a guy who over the course of 4 weeks changed his style 5 times. There were times I was two handing strikes, and one handing spares, and times that I did the exact opposite. However, no matter what style I used, my spare ball was lighter, and I always went straighter with it.

Chats: 326

From what I hear, yes it can mess you up. It has never messed me up though. I use a 16, 15, & 14 pound ball and a 12 pound plastic spare (just for single pins and some splits). I've had the spare ball before I started throwing heavier balls, so that's why it is so light. I do wish my spare ball weighed more (14 or 15), but I don't feel like spending another $70-$100 on a new spare ball when I only use it to pick up single pin spares to the right of the head pin (3,6,9,10) and splits not involving double wood (because it will just bounce off the front pin and miss the back). I'll get a new one at some point though...

I started with 12 as a youth bowler years ago, then went to 14 with my NeXXus when I came back to bowling in December, then to 15 with my Vivid a month or so after the NeXXus, and a couple months after that went to 16 with my Too Reckless. Any new ball I would get from this point forward will be 16.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I also use a spare ball a pound lighter than my strike balls. I wanted some deflection for the baby splits. So as you can see, like anything else in bowling, there is no right answer but whatever you feel comfortable with. The difference can mess with timing and of course, feel. Will it affect you? At two pounds, probably but none of us knows for sure until you try it.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JaMau24 View Post
    From what I hear, yes it can mess you up. It has never messed me up though. I use a 16, 15, & 14 pound ball and a 12 pound plastic spare (just for single pins and some splits). I've had the spare ball before I started throwing heavier balls, so that's why it is so light. I do wish my spare ball weighed more (14 or 15), but I don't feel like spending another $70-$100 on a new spare ball when I only use it to pick up single pin spares to the right of the head pin (3,6,9,10) and splits not involving double wood (because it will just bounce off the front pin and miss the back). I'll get a new one at some point though...

I started with 12 as a youth bowler years ago, then went to 14 with my NeXXus when I came back to bowling in December, then to 15 with my Vivid a month or so after the NeXXus, and a couple months after that went to 16 with my Too Reckless. Any new ball I would get from this point forward will be 16.
    Last year I walked into the pro shop and spotted a plastic Roto Grip 'world' ball for sale. They had a $35.00 sticker on it so I picked it up and thought, "no, too much money for a used plastic ball." Was talking to the pro shop owner and finally said "Tell the guy I'll give him $20 bucks for the ball." Came in a week later and the owner said "It's yours for $20.00." New they sell for about $100.00. There are always deals around and most pro shops have a bunch that people want to get rid of. I may only use it for two or three shots in a three game set, so why spend big bucks on a ball that's going to slide 3/4 of the way down the lane. Keep your eyes opn and you'll find a deal. You can also check on line, there are hundreds for sale. http://usedballs.ashopcart.com/

I haven't noticed any difference doing it. My spare ball is 14lbs. My strike ball which I used for years was 16lbs and I never had trouble with my spare ball on cross-laning (the only time I use it). Now I use a 15lbs strike ball and I really don't notice much of a weight difference when I throw.

Chats: 0

Every ball i own is 15 pounds. I am going to buy a 14 pound for some of my spares. I have been told pick one weight and stick with that but I do better with a light ball on some spares.