Thread: Generic Core

Smile Generic Core

I have read some of the lighter weight balls have a "generic" core, I usually use like a 10 lb ball, how would a generic core effect the ball? I am pretty much decided that I like the Brunswick slingshot, but would the generic core make it like a regular plastic ball? My husband uses a 12 lb because he has some problems with his shoulder, I think I read where that size has a regular core for that ball. We would like to learn to curve the ball a bit, this is one reason we are looking at the slingshot, I have been told it is a good ball at a good priced and you can get a little curve out of it. Thanks for your help

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

For the most part once balls drop below 11-12 pounds. The "High Tech" cores don't make that big of a difference, so they just use the "generic" cores.

I believe also it has to do with the densities of the materials used to get the lighter weight. The most important thing is the coverstock.

There are a few balls that have a high tech core in the lighter weights, but you have to really research to find just which ones do.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

I am pretty new to this, but the guy who drills our balls says pretty much the same thing as "Bolw1820", but he also says that the position of where he drills the finger holes can help the more generic core balls have a better curve, so you might talk to the person who will be drilling the ball.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Motiv and Lane #1 use the same core in all weights that they produce. Storm lists pictures of all cores that they use in each weight now on their website.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Check the Ebonite Cyclone, same core, 10-16 lbs.
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JustMom1215 View Post
    I have read some of the lighter weight balls have a "generic" core, I usually use like a 10 lb ball, how would a generic core effect the ball? I am pretty much decided that I like the Brunswick slingshot, but would the generic core make it like a regular plastic ball? My husband uses a 12 lb because he has some problems with his shoulder, I think I read where that size has a regular core for that ball. We would like to learn to curve the ball a bit, this is one reason we are looking at the slingshot, I have been told it is a good ball at a good priced and you can get a little curve out of it. Thanks for your help
    The 10 & 11 lb Slingshot have the generic core. If you can handle a 12# ball try to shoot for that. Ask your pro shop to order you a "light" 12#er. The holes will take a couple of ounces out so you might be close to a heavy 11 lb ball when you finish.

Bob