Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slumps...

Chats: 326

Default Slumps...

How do you guys break out of a slump?

I've been in a slump for 2 weeks or maybe a little more, and it's killing me. Last month, out of 42 league games, I averaged 232 (and that includes me doing poorly the last week). The months before last, I was averaging close to or at 230 as well. This month, out of 18 league games, I'm averaging 211. Part of the reason is the new ball. I'm not comfortable with it yet, and shouldn't be using it in league, but it's a new ball I just spent a lot of money on, so I keep forcing myself to use it. Mostly though, it's my fault! I keep having an open frame or two in each of my games it seems. Sometimes, when it's not even my fault! Like tonight, throw a nice pocket shot, and leave a 8-10 split with my 16 pound ball. It feels like Murphy's law is in full effect during this slump.

I understand we all go through peaks and valleys, but do you do anything special to help break you out of a slump? Or do you just ride it out until you finally break out of it?
    Last edited by JaMau24; 11-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Chats: 506

when i am in a slump i go bowl 6 games and just focus on basics

Chats: 36

When I get in a slump, and know that my equipment is not to blame, then I examine my tempo. I have found that if I work on that, then the other fundamentals tend to take care of themselves (things like working the inside of the ball, straight arm at release point, etc,). SO, think TEMPO....

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I slumped recently. I really went back to basics including going back to a 4 step approach, stay inside the ball, adjust slide, re-measure my drift, PAP, tilt and rotation. I checked it all and it all came back good. I gave up and put away the newer ball. No sense adding games to them when I can't hit the pocket. Used the Misfit and urethane only. Then the Reckless. Know what I found out? My ball was burning up but not as drastic as I have seen before. Too much ball was my slump. As you know I also spent a ton on Revenge's, Terror and won the Nexxus. I can't use them for long if at all during league. The Terror lasts the longest but not when I have 9 others on my line. Luckily I bowl a lot of tournaments so my balls will still get some use.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 723

Well, I'm gonna go buy a nice new marauders! Lol
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I meditate and I go back to basics! I practice hitting my mark,foot work & armswing,then I practice picking up spares!

Put the new ball away for a week or 2 and try it again. Forcing it only makes you miss more.

Zothen

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default A Nightmare!!

Jason your one Heck of a bowler!! I think a large part of it was the new ball, that JUST has NOT been working out so far!! I think you had a great idea to change, and work with different surfaces! If that doesn’t work, then You said James would plug it, and try a different lay out! Its not YOU!!
    Also, in ALL sports even the BEST, have slumps, exception being maybe ICEMAN!!! LOL……..
    You are in a slump, but one thing I know for sure is YOU HAVE MORE talent in the tip of your fingers , then I do in my whole body!! Hang in there, I have been where you’re at!!! Then something great happens like last week for me, where I had that posted 725, and then the league 672!
    A BIG PART OF WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR AVERAGE WAS PLAIN and SIMPLE, A “NIGHTMARE”!!!
    Hang in there Dude!!!

You just gotta keep grinding it out. You'll get back on top. It also sounds like your new ball love might be hurting you a little. I know bowling balls are expensive but there's nothing wrong with not throwing a ball if it doesn't match up to the lane.

I usualy can break my slumos one of two ways. One, buy a new ball. Two, stop listening to everyone telling me what I'm doing wrong
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Chats: 326

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll break out of it. Gonna use my Vivid on Thursday. I like the Nightmare, and like the reaction I have with it, it's just going to take some getting used to. I'll just use it in practice. I pulled it out at the end of practice on Friday and shot 244, 268. The 268, I had the front 8 strikes, a 10 pin in the 9th, and a 10 pin on the 11th ball. So it could have been a 300.

I really don't even know if the ball is to blame at all. It could just be all me. I was slumping a week before I got my new ball as well.
    Last edited by JaMau24; 11-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast