BWAA WILL MISS THE SERVICES OF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR STEVE JAMES

Dick EvansThe Bowling Writers Association of America has been blessed to have some exceptional executive directors during my 40 year association with the BWAA.

The late Jim Fitzgerald was an outstanding writer and good BWAA executive director.

The late Mike Hennessy was exceptional at every thing he touched, including serving as BWAA executive director when I previously was president of the BWAA.

Steve James steps down as executive director of the BWAA on Dec. 31 and I will miss him in many ways.

For example, I never beat him in tennis although I may have saved his life by loaning him my extra hat when we played a match during the Tournament of Americas under a broiling Miami sun. Although I wanted to win, I didn't want to win by default if Steve died of heat stroke.

I also will miss him as our tour guide in Paris where the American team practiced before heading for London and the 1975 FIQ Tournament.

I will miss his cool demeanor and knowledge when he served as executive director of the ABC Hall of Fame from 1977 to 2003. I knew he always had the answers to my many questions.

And I will miss the leadership he brought when the NWBW and old BWAA merged three years ago. This has been a difficult transition for some but Steve made it comfortable for all with his knowledge and logic.

He was and is a man with solid leadership and friendly persuasion and will be missed.

Bill Vint will have big shoes to fill...probably about a size 13 since Steve always stood tall during every crisis.

I also want to congratulate one of our veteran members, Tom Kouros, for being elected into the United States Bowling Congress Hall of Fame. It was and still is fantastic when any BWAA member is inducted into any bowling hall of fame.

Many of you probably are making plans to attend the USBC Convention in Reno and I want to reiterate that the Eldorado Hotel will throw the BWAA a breakfast on Wednesday April 29 at 7:30 a.m. I plan to invite Jeff Bojé, Kevin Dornberger, John Berglund, Jim Sturm, Fred Schreyer and Gregg Carano (general manager of the Eldorado) to attend and say a few words, so bring your pens and notebooks.

If you have not made room arrangements, I urge you to stay at the Eldorado. Remember, the USBC Convention will be held in Reno again the following year (2010).

Before closing, I want to tell all our members that a few of our members thought the Kegel Bowler of the Month survey that the BWAA runs is a waste of time since many of the top pros don't pay any attention to it. That may or may not be true, but read the letter below from Lisa Earnest, mother of September BOM winner Josie Earnest, if you want to know how some winners feel about monthly honor:

"I wanted to say thanks for the wonderful plaque (BWAA) sent to Josie for being named Kegel Bowler of the Month. She has not seen it in person yet - I sent a photograph of it to her. It is a great honor for her to be recognized with this award. She is very committed to the sport of bowling and was extremely pleased that all of her hard work and dedication helped her earn this award that has been received by so many outstanding bowlers. Once again, thanks for recognizing her with this award."