Thread: Iceman wants to gain weight, or should I lose it??

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iceman wants to gain weight, or should I lose it??

I have thought about what Tyrone said to me about 14lb balls. (He is a Top gun bowler that throws a 225-330 average.) Big guy that could easily throw a 16lb ball. He is a High Rev bowler, and uses a 14lb ball. Said he changed from 15 or 16lb balls years ago, and his average sky rocketed after that change.

In my case working out with 40lb dumbbells doing curl's along with wrist curls, in 3 different positons, would it be a good experiment to try 16lb ball? I use to use one, it was a Titanium when I fist started bowling 3 years ago. Had some great games with it for a starting out ball including a 268.

For this experiment should I go 14, or 16, and what ball should I get at this new weight?

Chats: 1

My buddy chopper dropped from 15lb to 14lb and hated it as you know I was trying to win that Iq pearl for him. Ended up buying one in 15 and he's much more happy. But with his speed and revs. The 14lb balls came in to much. Even after adjusting the covers :/ you might try a used of both that's close to your span. If some ones looking to sell one there going to let you try it first. Just would hate to see you spend money and be upset.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Mike, with your lack of revs you may want to try a 14 and see if you can get some. I agree with above, try both used and see how it reacts for you. We are all different so what works for one may not for another. Personally, all my new stuff will be 14 after throwing the Diva in 14 for a month and a half. My speed and revs were the same but less strain on my wrist and elbow (arthritis, broken wrist, entrapped ulnar nerve, ruptured bursa sac).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Bill ,,, your have not seen the new and improved mike ball!! I now have 100 percent more rev's with my new release. I throw it harder now, because of the new release! When I did the 300 game I did use the new style, and it paid off. I need to have a game with The Dude, and film both of us again. My ball has a whole new look, since I took a lesson from Bruce, the Pro, and Strike/Spare. Much more power and energy in the ball now! I may get both! thanks for the advice, but believe me, my delivery looks much different now.

Damn, Bill ,,, you sound like a lot of broken down old Iron Workers I know! (HARD LIFE)! Take care,,,, and I know a 14lb ball can do serious damage! Tyrone, and several of his friends throw incredible Rev's, using 14, and 230 averages..... Take care,,, Maybe its time to switch to your left hand!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 05-20-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Chats: 36

I have heard stories of people who switched to a 14 and liked it, though I have never met one personally. I KNOW several people personally who tried the move to a 14 from a 15 or 16 and it was an experiment that didn't last long...

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Ringer
    Chats: 23

I am moving down from 16 to 15 on my next ball. I have thrown my friends and found really no difference from what I could tell. Balk weight is so personal of a decision I don't think there is a right or wrong to it.