Page 113 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You just need to believe that you're a good bowler. I know it, but the problem is that you won't believe it!
    I feel I'm the opposite of most bowlers.

Most bowlers think they are WAY better than they truly are. I'm very hard to convince that I'm as good a bowler as I am. My first 300-game will help. A 700 series would help. Leading a league in average would help. Right now, it's difficult because you see higher average guys with 10-15 sanctioned 300-games under their belt...and it just seems like you're nowhere near that level. But, at the same time, I have to be realistic that those guys are all in their 50s/60s and have been bowling regularly for 10-35 years. I've been bowling regularly just shy of 2.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Most bowlers think they are WAY better than they truly are. I'm very hard to convince that I'm as good a bowler as I am. My first 300-game will help. A 700 series would help. Leading a league in average would help. Right now, it's difficult because you see higher average guys with 10-15 sanctioned 300-games under their belt...and it just seems like you're nowhere near that level. But, at the same time, I have to be realistic that those guys are all in their 50s/60s and have been bowling regularly for 10-35 years. I've been bowling regularly just shy of 2.5 years.
    The difference is that you started correctly. You took lessons. You made an attempt to learn about bowling balls. You take the game seriously. In terms of ball reactions, etc., did it occur to you that the less physical talent you have, the more you need ball understanding and knowledge? Guys with all kinds of physical ability do need to rely on ball knowledge. The rest of us do.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

This is exactly how I've always felt. I watch other guys that are students of the sport, and I feel like I pale in comparison. I'm still waiting for a 300 and an 800. I wonder if I shouldn't be investing in more equipment like these guys do, or whatever that special thing is that puts them over that invisible edge. I've been 200+ for a pretty long time, and I know I have LOTS of room for improvement.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Guys with all kinds of physical ability do need to rely on ball knowledge. The rest of us do.
    Well...I admit that from some of things I've heard...I actually DO have more knowledge about bowling balls than some pros do....but isn't that why they have ball reps? I mean, wouldn't that be a great thing if on those nights where you just can't seem to find that workable strategy...there was a guy behind you that you could trust to tell you exactly where to move and aim and which ball to throw?

Some people think that pros are ball reps with physical talent. I think of it more that ball reps are pros that lack that physical ability. Which I guess is my way of saying Iceman's old "pros that don't have the gift".

Pre-League Warm-Up: 213-138

Got to the alley early and got a little high...figured I'd bowl out some of the jitters and AMF gives us two free practice games each week so I bowled a couple games. The first game...after a couple frames...I was "less high" and starting to get more balanced...then ran a 5-bagger together. Left a couple open frames though. The second game wasn't as bad as the score indicates...but was 2 for 6 on single-pin spare shooting.

Wednesday League: Easier THS.

518 Series: 179-152-187

Felt confident after the warm-up and in practice I was just destroying the pin deck. Then...

Game 1 was clean and I used the Dark Encounter the entire game. But I just couldn't carry. Only open was a 4-6-7 split in the 4th...so it felt like a better game than the score indicated.

More problems in Game 2. Timing seemed off. I switched to the Asylum in the 7th frame but nailed the pocket and left a weak 7-pin...so I put that *%#$! back in the bag after verbally scolding it. Used the Melee Jab to finish the game...but slammed the pocket in the 10th and left a flat 10-pin. Just couldn't strike.

Game 3 I used the Loaded Revolver...and it seemed to be working...but I couldn't get my fingers all the way in the ball. My ring finger insert seemed too small. Ball stuck on my hand big time in the 3rd and launched about 30-35 feet...but struck somehow. Missed my only single-pin in the first frame on a damn 9-pin...which gives me a little trouble because it's the only single-pin I don't have a system to pick up and I rarely get practice at it since I rarely leave it. I struck more, but opened on a 1-2-10 washout in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.69 pins
    Strikes: 34% (3 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 90% (9/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left the 3-pin and 9-pin twice (each) and the 2-pin and 7-pin once (each).

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (4/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 172.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 176.33.

Last week I bowled my only sub-145 game. This week I set another reverse milestone by having a lower series at this center than my Monday center.

In game 3, I had troubles with ball fit. It could be the repeat bowling (Tues, Wed) and warm-up caused my thumb/fingers to swell a bit or it could be the humidity...we're getting more rain right now than I remember seeing all of last year. But I think I'm gonna have the pro shop give me a bigger insert for my ring finger on the Loaded Revolver. It can barely squeeze into the current insert and it really hurts.

And our team has been in a funk for 4-5 weeks now. We were supposed to be a "super team" that finishes in the top 5...yet we're middle of the pack. Last month it was our #3 bowler pooing the bed. But recently it's been me failing to live up to my 198-200 average. And the female teammate kinda got into my head a bit by criticizing me during Game 2. I mean, she's a 82 average bowler and she's giving me carp about practicing before league bowling because she thought that was tiring me out or something. But she also doesn't like me getting coaching because she claims I always bowl badly the following week after getting a lesson. She didn't know any better and was half kidding...but with my confidence issues...not a great team player.

The anchor on our team says he's noticed that I used to use 1-2 balls during the series but now I'm almost going through my whole bag. And he confirmed what I felt...that my timing was late.

I have added a degree of difficulty to my bowling by having a shorter/slower approach/speed on Monday nights...but have stayed with my standard higher speed delivery on Wednesdays where it's been working well so far. Obviously that switching back and forth is going to have at least a small effect on my timing and consistency.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Do you have any video of you bowling? On the surface your knowledge and insight would appear to set you up for consistent success, it is very intriguing to me that the scores don't match up with the information.

I find it interesting that you were more comfortable bowling when there were no opponents. Do you have a competitive history (sports, academics, etc...) or is bowling the first time you've found yourself in a competitive-ish environment? I think my past and current athletic competitive atmosphere definitely help me with the mental side of bowling...I love to compete! Also, I think athletics in ones background really help with the coordination/physical aspect of bowling.

Chats: 32

The difference is that you started correctly. You took lessons. You made an attempt to learn about bowling balls. You take the game seriously. In terms of ball reactions, etc., did it occur to you that the less physical talent you have, the more you need ball understanding and knowledge? Guys with all kinds of physical ability do need to rely on ball knowledge. The rest of us do.
    I agree with this 100%. On my scratch league I walk out there knowing that 80% of the people in the building are better bowlers than me. If I want to compete I can't make mistakes and I have to understand my game better than they do theirs. I know with my talent level I can't expect to go throw a 4 bagger every time I miss a spare and I'm not going to get a messenger come across the lane and wipe out a split for me. SO far I'm doing pretty well I've won more than 1/2 of my matches not bad for a newbie throwing their first scratch/challenge shot league.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by shadd View Post
    Do you have any video of you bowling? On the surface your knowledge and insight would appear to set you up for consistent success, it is very intriguing to me that the scores don't match up with the information.
    I find it interesting that you were more comfortable bowling when there were no opponents. Do you have a competitive history (sports, academics, etc...) or is bowling the first time you've found yourself in a competitive-ish environment?

Good Lord, what have you done?? You just opened the flood gates!

-I for one, miss the late night stories of the two cougars back at the Aslan pad.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 256

Got to the alley early and got a little high

Really??? Got high at the alley? Or before?

The anchor on our team says he's noticed that I used to use 1-2 balls during the series but now I'm almost going through my whole bag. And he confirmed what I felt...that my timing was late.

I have added a degree of difficulty to my bowling by having a shorter/slower approach/speed on Monday nights...but have stayed with my standard higher speed delivery on Wednesdays where it's been working well so far. Obviously that switching back and forth is going to have at least a small effect on my timing and consistency.
    As usual, you are WAY over complicating things. I very rarely need to go through my whole bag to find a ball that will react the way I want it to. With all of the over analyzing you do, I am very surprised you don't know what each ball in your "arsenal" does for you at each of the houses you bowl in.

Really, from one bowler to another, stop over complicating the game and just bowl man. Perform knowing what your equipment can do and adjust with it.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

With so much miss room on THS, not sure if even 2 strike balls are needed. Unless you're playing with high rev players that burn up your lines.

Page 113 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast