Page 120 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Orange County USBC BVL Tournament: medium oil synthetics

Coming in I was chasing 633 to try and overtake the leader. AM Squad I saw some familiar faces but was feeling a bit inferior since most everyone around me were in the division above me.

AM SQUAD
    540 Series: 181-185-174

I knew I was in trouble when I had to start with the Asylum. Especially when I was already switching to the Melee Jab in the 10th frame. But after a flat-10 in the 6th and flat-7 in the 8th...and some questionable spare shooting in Game 1...I couldn't delay any longer if I had any hope of hitting 634. But, I pulled the shot and chopped a 1-2-3-5-6 in the 10th.

Felt good going into Game 2 because the Jab has really been working for me lately. The game went well, but a couple missed single-pin spares kept me from a clean game and a 205. As usual, the Jab did well, but was erratic. Switched to the Loaded Revolver in the 10th.

Game 3 was good. Only an open in the 1st before AGAIN opening in the 10th. Not much carry though.

Needed to go home and grab the knee brace. Elbow is fine but the knee was sore. I was kinda worried about the PM squad though since they weren't going to re-oil and I was already down to the last ball in my progression. My only options should I run out of room left are:
    1) Try to change hand position (axis tilt).
    2) Start throwing the Maxim (plastic).
    3) Try to play closer to the track with a higher speed.

PM SQUAD (no oiling between squads)

529 Series: 142-204 (clean)-183

Was more relaxed bowling with some lower average seniors, but just couldn't seem to carry and my spare shooting went in the toilet. I was just way too inside my comfort zone and having trouble trusting that the ball would come back.

Carry didn't improve in game 2, but spare shooting was perfect. A 3-6 and the rest all single-pins.

Game 3 started off rough, but I got back in my groove and even managed to strike a little bit. But, no shot at first place again this year. Probably won't know even unofficial standings for a week or so. I anticipate 2nd to 5th in the division.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.81 (AM) and 8.91 (PM) pins
    Strikes: 41% (AM) and 33% (PM)
    (1 turkey, 4 doubles, and 13 singles)

Spares: 61% (AM) and 68% (PM) picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (AM) and 84% (PM) (16/20)
    Most common single pin leaves: 10-pin (8x).
    Only left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 54% (AM) 44% (PM) (10/20)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5, 6-10, and 3-10 baby split (3x each)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 6 games: 178.17.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 185.33.

Probably won't know even unofficial standings for a week or so. I anticipate 2nd to 5th in the division. I don't think I won anything else. I was kinda disappointed that I spent $50 on raffle tickets to try and win a ball...hoping for the Brunswick Brainiac...but nope. No brackets either. But, two days of competitive bowling for $152 total with most of it going to charity...not the end of the World. And it hopefully helped me snap out of my January slump. 2 clean games in 2 days is encouraging.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday League: 30ft THS oiled out to about 9. Older Brunswick synthetics.

563 Series: 188-192-183

My new release is slower so I spent most of practice trying to figure out if I could play 7-8 at the arrows. The Dark Encounter seemed to hook too much out there...hook too early. But the Asylum didn't quite make it back flush. So the shot seemed "in between" balls.

I decided on starting with the Dark Encounter but it took me 3-5 frames to move inside enough. Would have been a clean game if I had picked up a 1-2-4 spare in the 5th. Missed a couple boards right...not a ton of miss room in this house.

Game 2 was more of the same, not much carry...but only one open on a chopped 3-6 in the 3rd frame. Switched to the Asylum in the 8th. After a couple slight adjustments, I struck out in the 10th.

In Game 3 the strikes continued...but the Asylum starting hitting weak in the 5th/6th so I switched to the Melee Jab to finish things off. But it worked well on one lane and not so much on the other. Missed my only single-pin of the night in the 10th...barely missing the 7-pin. But there was an open on a 5-7 split in the 3rd as well.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.03 pins
    Strikes: 42% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 78% picked up

Single Pin spares: 90% (9/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left the 3-pin (2x), 4-pin, 6-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x).

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 187.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.67.

Felt great. Bummed that I missed that last 7-pin. Double stings when it's in the 10th frame.

The scores aren't anything to write home about, BUT;
    1) My pocket percentage was probably 90% thereabouts.
    2) While this is only my 3rd highest series this season in this league, this is the first time in this league that I haven't had at least one game that was 182 or lower...my most consistent outing.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

563 Series: 188-192-183

My new release is slower so I spent most of practice trying to figure out if I could play 7-8 at the arrows. The Dark Encounter seemed to hook too much out there...hook too early. But the Asylum didn't quite make it back flush. So the shot seemed "in between" balls.

I decided on starting with the Dark Encounter but it took me 3-5 frames to move inside enough. Would have been a clean game if I had picked up a 1-2-4 spare in the 5th. Missed a couple boards right...not a ton of miss room in this house.

Game 2 was more of the same, not much carry...but only one open on a chopped 3-6 in the 3rd frame. Switched to the Asylum in the 8th. After a couple slight adjustments, I struck out in the 10th.

In Game 3 the strikes continued...but the Asylum starting hitting weak in the 5th/6th so I switched to the Melee Jab to finish things off. But it worked well on one lane and not so much on the other. Missed my only single-pin of the night in the 10th...barely missing the 7-pin. But there was an open on a 5-7 split in the 3rd as well.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.03 pins
    Strikes: 42% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 78% picked up

Single Pin spares: 90% (9/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left the 3-pin (2x), 4-pin, 6-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x).

Average over 3 games: 187.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.67.

Felt great. Bummed that I missed that last 7-pin. Double stings when it's in the 10th frame.

The scores aren't anything to write home about, BUT;
    1) My pocket percentage was probably 90% thereabouts.
    2) While this is only my 3rd highest series this season in this league, this is the first time in this league that I haven't had at least one game that was 182 or lower...my most consistent outing.
    The numbers look better on your last few outings. I'm not sure your quite at 90% pocket percentage with 9 multi-pin spares but it's an improvement that's for sure. It also looks like the ones you are leaving are more makeable too.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The numbers look better on your last few outings. I'm not sure your quite at 90% pocket percentage with 9 multi-pin spares but it's an improvement that's for sure. It also looks like the ones you are leaving are more makeable too.
    It could be closer to 80%. Probably a couple strikes were Brooklyn, so that counts against pocket %. A couple 3-pins where I went through the nose or Brooklyn-side. So lets assume all the multi-pin leaves weren't pocket...add in 4 more shots...that's 13. Assume 33 first shots, 20/33 = more like 60-61%. I think it felt "different" because usually I'm coming in light...leaving a lot of 2-4-5s, 1-2-8s, 1-2s, 2-5s, etc... This time...most of my misses were through the nose...giving me a 4-7, 3-6, some 6-10s, a 3-6-9-10, single 3-pins, 3-10 baby splits, etc...

On the one hand, it's riskier because some of those could have been splits had luck gone a different way. The 4-7 could have been a 4-7-10....things like that.

The improvements are easier to see in person....which is why I shoulda waited a week to do the video. It wasn't till the later shots in that video where I started to figure things out a bit. And then I refined those improvements over the course of the weekend tournament. And the spare shooting was the most noteable for me. I'm finding that it really doesn't matter release/timing so much on the corner-pin spare shots...what matters is focus. FOCUS. Keep you eye on that target and just throw it straight at it. Loft, no loft, release...none of that really matters.

And confidence. It's hard to "be confident". People say that all the time, "Be confident, but not arrogant." The problem is...people who are honestly confident....are confident for a reason. Sean Rash isn't confident because he's a horrible bowler and is just tying to be confident so he can bowl well. He knows he's a superior talent....he has the accolades...so confidence almost comes naturally. But for a marginal bowler...confidence comes from success...and when you're not doing well...when you need that confidence boost the most....that's the exact time you're not confident.

But after bowling in the tournament...in a division higher than I realistically should be in....and holding my own...even having my name on the leaderboard briefly...it just made me feel like I could "compete". It didn't feel like most of January where I'm off to the side scared poo-less that I was going to bowl a 140 or go 40% on single-pins or strike at < 30%...not find a line....use the wrong ball(s)...etc...

Each game Monday I made a mistake in the 3rd or 5th frames. And I immediately wanted to crawl into my cave and curl up in a ball. But then I looked at Pinpal...and thought, "You still could strike out for a 247 or 267. You've ran 4-8 strikes together before. You're not 'done' yet. Finish strong, finish clean...you're around the pocket a LOT tonight...don't derail yourself." And it wasn't easy because two guys on the opposite team were just killing it...which would normally make me feel inferior...but I knew I had the better form, the better spare shooting, and if they were going to beat me...I was going to at least make them work for it.

And while this was only my 3rd highest series this season in this league...like I said in the score posting...it was consistent. The two times I scored higher...maybe one game I got a 231 or 221 or something like that....but one game would be a 182...and most other nights in this league...even if I had a couple 190+ games...I'd end up shooting a 154 or something.

And the ball changes, even though I didn't make my best use of my practice time...seemed to be working okay. The Dark Encounter wasn't carrying great...but once I switched to the Asylum and made a slight adjustment to my line...I think I struck out in the 10th and struck 3 out of the first 4 frames the following game.

And I'm able to play inside more with this slower approach and smoother release. The release isn't ideal yet...still needs some serious work...but at least now I can stand a little left of center, open my shoulders a little, and let the ball do it's thing. That sounds intuitive, but at 17-19mph..."out and in" was about my only option given my weak release.

And that's the scary/exciting thing about this new approach/release. I let a few of those shots go and was very, very tempted to give that ball a little "extra"....worried at that angle it wouldn't make the turn....but you have to trust it. And I'll be damned....I trusted the Asylum to make the turn and doggone it....it made the turn. Still not my favorite ball....I still think it's a bit weak...but I think a lot of my struggles with the Asylum is that it really "wants" to play an inside line. It doesn't "want" to play out and in. I was trying to force it to play the line I wanted to play. The other 4 balls...a little more versatile...I could force them to play outside and generally have at least some success. The Asylum either wouldn't make it back...or would hit light. Trying to force a square peg into a round hole I guess.

So, a lot of good things going on...but still a lot of work left to do to start getting these changes to fell "right". Throwing it hard felt "right". This feels like I'm 75 years old and "not doing anything" but dropping the ball as I walk towards the line. That's obviously not accurate...but I still need my body/mind to "catch up" and get this approach to feel more natural.

Wednesday League: THS

493 Series: 167-173-153

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.44 pins
    Strikes: 34% (1 turkey, 2 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (3x)
    Also left a 3-pin and a couple 10-pins.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (7/14)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 164.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 174.33.

I got up and decided to get some practice in. When I showed up, there was a no-tap tournament starting...and while I personally am embarrassed to even consider participating in such a farse...I figured at least I could get some practice on fresh oil.

I didn't keep any stats or anything....kinda no point to stats if it's not real bowling.

I started out with the Dark Encounter but quickly moved to the Asylum and used that most of game 1, game 2, and game 3. The Asylum is a great ball for leaving 10-pins...so it actually will be my go-to ball should I ever feel the need to humiliate myself in a no-tap tournament again.

Used the Melee Jab a bit in Game 3 and finished the last 3-5 frames with the Loaded Revolver.

Scores?? A 191, I think a 205 in Game 2 (maybe a 202), and either a 256 or 258 in Game 3.

It cost me $36 but I won $40 in the 50/50 so I actually made $4. Almost scored high enough in Game 3 to get some of the side pot money but not quite. It was handicap and I'm only getting 20 pins...and in no-tap you gotta be > 279 to even come close.

No bad moments...I think I missed a 6-10 in Game 1 that I wasn't to happy about and led to me kicking my roller bag in disgust. But most of my usual bad moments come from not carrying and subsequently not being able to pick off the occasional 7-pin or something. In no-tap...everything carries!

Took me way too long to figure out a good line. I shoulda been playing the track and spent most of practice trying to see which ball would work up the outside. So most of Game 1 was moving from 6-7 to 9-10.

My opinion of the tournament? Well, I made $4. Didn't carry much...which is practically the Asylum's calling card. It was amazing seeing folks that really had absolutely horrible spare shooting ability. The gal bowling next me didn't just "miss"...she was on the wrong side of the lane sort of miss. Other than that it was just confusing. I'd have a nice shot and it wouldn't carry and I'd be pissed...then immediately realize it didn't matter. Just a weird feeling.

Farse is spelled... farce! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Farse is spelled... farce! Lol
    I learned how to spell from reading Iceman's posts...so, yeah. Some people have the Gift of spelling...some do not.

527 Series: 206-154-167

Didn't even bring the Lethal Revolver. My slower speed makes it somewhat useless. And I needed the room to bring my retired Hammer Rhythm with me so see if it fits my new teammate's hand.

Actually started out with the Melee Jab trying to play a slightly more open line over the 9-10 track area. But I just couldn't find enough oil and that ball in the dry is very unpredictable. I thought I made some nice shots...but a 4-7-10 split to start things out and a 3-4-6-7-9-10 split in the 3rd...obviously I was still too far right in the dry. But those were my only two opens and I ran some strikes together late so I was feeling good.

Not to mention that left lane was having "issues" all night, dropping and mis-spotting pins. So if ever there was an excuse regarding pin spotting...the left lane was abysmal. Twice it dropped the 7-pin and I didn't notice until I threw the ball (I don't look at the pins in my set-up/approach). And it took forever to bowl.

THEN...the wheels fell back off. The bubble gum holding the dam together...finally gave out. Opened on a chopped 2-4-8 in the 2nd, chopped 2-4-5 in the 3rd, 6-7-10 split in the 7th (that was actually more like a 6-7.5-10 since the 7-pin wiggled it's way right significantly), and a chopped 6-10 in the 10th to end the nightmare. After the first two opens...I finally forced myself to ball down to the Loaded Revolver. I hate to switch to it so early in Game 2...but I was struggling to keep the Jab right of the head-pin.

In Game 3...more spare shooting woes. Missed my only single-pin on a 10-pin (by about .75 inches) in the 2nd frame. Chopped a 6-9 in the 3rd frame...shoulda threw my strike ball but I was trying to challenge myself...challenge failed. Kept things clean until the 9th when I chopped my ole buddy the 1-2-8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.58 pins
    Strikes: 39% (1 5-bagger, 2 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Most common single-pin leaves: n/a
    Left the 4-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin. (1x each)

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (6/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (4x).

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 175.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 179.00.

Not great. Started out looking good early...but usually it's a bad night for me if I have to spend the entire series with my feet left of center...especially in the 30-board area. 1-4 boards left of center (21-24) I can usually handle...but when I get out to 32-35...and I'm targeting left of 15 at the arrows...the night usually doesn't go very well.

Maybe I need to add the speed back or something. I can't play the outside line nor the track if I'm throwing < 15mph. I don't have the rev rate and my release is too inconsistent. I can get the ball back near the pocket at this speed...but it hits really, really weak. But at this speed...everything 11-board or right of that...couldn't keep it from diving through the nose or going Brooklyn.

And I can see the argument about pin spotting. I'm not a big fan of that as an excuse usually...because usually it's a minor difference. But when you have a pin setter that is noticeably off...again and again...and dropping pins...that pin setter needs to be locked out and fixed...and not used. There were some gaps between the 6-pin and 10-pin that were even noticeable to the beginner bowlers.

I've downgraded my expectations in this league and just really would like to score in the high 500s. Sure, 600s would be nice...but this is a tougher house, the dots on the approach are in different spots than most other centers, the lanes are old and play "more differently" lane to lane and pair to pair than most other houses around here...the equipment is about as old as you can get and still have computerized scoring (pic below)

...it's a little tougher, I gotta figure out either how to get more rpms and throw at a 16mph speed or figure out how to make 14-15mph work...and that takes some time to figure out.

Wednesday League: THS, some nice bounce on the outside and decent hold in the middle, easier shot/house

528 Series: 171-199-158
    Used the Dark Encounter in Game 1. Barely missed a single 3-pin in the first frame and then missed a single 7-pin in the 6th. Otherwise clean, just couldn't seem to carry.

Switched to the Asylum in Game 2 but after 4 frames/spares put it back in the bag where it belongs...maybe I'll take it out if I ever decide to do a no-tap tournament or something...that's about all it's good for at this point. Had an all-spare game through 6 frames...but once I made a small adjustment with the Melee Jab....the strikes started coming. But the 7-pin was still mocking me...missed another single 7-pin in the 9th frame and then left another single 7-pin on the 3rd shot of the 10th...which cost me the 200.

Started out with the Jab in Game 3...but shoulda switched. I ended up changing to the Loaded Revolver in the 3rd frame and finished with that. But, more carry issues...and I chopped a 6-10 in the 5th then a 3-6 in the 6th...so obviously, despite overwhelmingly good spare shooting...another night ending with a score in the 150s (155, 153, 158 over last 3 weeks).

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.79 pins
    Strikes: 26% (2 doubles and 5 singles)
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (10/13)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (6x) Also left a 3-pin and a couple 10-pins.
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (7/14)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6 (3x)

Average over 3 games: 176.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 187.33.

Ughh. Glad the spare shooting was better. Not perfect, but better.

No league play for a couple weeks. And of ALL the times I'm gonna be out of town...it's the week we play the top team in the league with the super ringers on it. I've been wanting to face those guys all season...and it's one of two nights this whole season where I actually have to miss. Once when I went to New Orleans for work a few months back...and now this time. Ughhh.

But I plan to spend a lot of evenings at the Gold Coast trying to get as much practice as I can while I'm there. No gambling, no women, no shows...just work seminars during the day and bowling at night. Try to get my line dialed in...figure out how the lanes tend to play. Get some semblance of a strategy so maybe...just maybe...I can compete with some of these guys when we sweep in March. It's a tough league with some really good bowlers, so if I'm going to beat them...it has to be because I put in the time to get the lanes figured out while they are bowling on what I consider to be the easiest conditions in the area. ANOTHER 300 game last night. I think that's 5 so far. Maybe 6 or 7....a lot.

Page 120 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast