Page 221 of 226 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

My thoughts on last night are:

"What was different last night than the previous nights?" Same ball. Same line. Same speeds. Nothing new in my release. So, was there anything I did differently?

ANSWER:
    "Staying in the same 2.5 board area and only using the one ball kept things simple."

Normally, I adjust based on leaves...when I make a "decent" shot. This ends up in a series of moves, generally left, on both lanes (to try and stay ahead of the pattern breaking down), and pretty soon I'm way too far inside and then I'm missing right...and then I think I need to change balls because I'm hitting weak...and then I gotta adjust for the new ball...etc, etc, etc... By the end of the night I've traveled 6 boards left and 6 more back to the right and went through 3 balls.

Yesterday I moved once after practice...a 1-1 move left. Probably just a result of the new 800/Step 1 surface. I moved 1-2 left sometime late Game 1/Early Game 2. Then I made a couple 1-2 moves left over the next Game and a half. If that seems like a lot of moving....you have no idea how much I usually move. On a normal night, I'd have moved that much just after one game...and I'd have changed balls going into Game 2 and the whole things would have started again.

So, maybe thats the answer. More patience with my line/ball and just focus on the basics:
    - Slight lowering from start to finish; Head level.
    - Focus eyes on target until ball rolls over it.
    - Balance at the foul line; Keep balance foot on the ground.
    - Good release and Post your shot
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sunday Night Established Mixed League

Week 16

After a decent night Wednesday, I was hoping for another strong outing. That didn't happen.

478 Series: 139-168-178

Pocket hit after pocket hit. Left 4 10-pins and a 7-pin. And, per my usual "headcaseness"...once I missed one...it was all over but the cryin. Switched from the Trident Odyssey to the Scorpion Sting (SS) in the 6th...thinking maybe moving outside with a weaker ball might help the carry...but, NOPE.
    9 /, 9 -, S8 1, 9 -, S7 1, 9 /, 9 -, X, X, 9 -.

Stuck with the SS through 4. Thought maybe it would work given I had 4 strikes on 5 shots (8th, 9th, 1st, 2nd)...but I also left two 10-pins and a stone 9-pin through the 4th. Got desperate and balled down to the Rhino Gold...but that ball was doing the same thing. I struck a couple times, but then left a 2-10 on what should have been a strike. So, out comes the Force Pearl (FP) in the 9th to see if I could salvage 'something'.
    X, X, 9 -, 9 -, S8 1, X, X, S8 1, 7 /, 9 /8.

Started picking up some spares, but couldn't overcome whatever was going wrong that night.
    X, S8 -, X, 8 -, 7 /, X, 8 /, 9 /, 9 /, 7 /X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.84 pins
    Strikes: 31%
    Spares: 42% picked up

Single Pin spares: 45% (5/11)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 4-pin, nor 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 56% (9/16)
    Multiple Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 3 games: 159.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 180.00.

Positives
    - IF I had picked up my spares, a 180 wouldn't have been a bad score given the struggles I was having with he shot.
    - Team took 3 out of 4...carrying me and with our team getting a whopping 227 pins of handicap.

Negatives
    - Spare shooting was once again HORRID.

I just gotta practice my corner-pins. Whether it cripples me or not....the rest of the season isn't going to be worth bowling if I'm this much of an embarrassment converting simple spares.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Wednesday Night Established Men's League

Week 16

In first place, but facing another high average team. This team is mostly former college 2-handers...I seriously doubt if 4 of them were more than 25. One of them works at the same place I do, so I was REALLY hoping not to embarrass myself.

638 Series: 213-202 (clean)-223

8 /, X, X, 9 -, X, 6 3, X, X, X, X 9 -.
    Pretty much the same as last Wednesday. Struck a good deal, but couldn't pick up those 10-pins. But, a nice run salvaged a decent score.

9 /, X, 9 /, X, 8 /, 9 /, 9 /, 6 /, 8 /, XXX.
    Haven't had one of these in awhile. Look at all those spares!! Decided to switch to the Force Pearl (FP) in the 9th and move right.

X, 8 1, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, 9 -.
    The FP was a beast, as usual. Would have had an even better score had I not left a stone 8 in the 4th and a pocket 10-pin in the 7th.

Ended up with my 2nd 638 series in a row..right on the nose!

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.18 pins
    Strikes: 55%
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (6x)
    Also left a single 4-pin and 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 78% (11/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 212.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 217.00.

Positives
    - Two straight good series.
    - All 3 games above my average.
    - A CLEAN game!
    - New surface (2000/Step 3) on the Force Pearl worked well.
    - Won a card game!
    - Always a good night when ya beat 2-handers!

Negatives
    - Not enough strikes.
    - Fell down in Game 3...was fortunate I didn't hurt myself.

I think the drinks in Game 2 helped me to loosen up. And once I started picking up spares, I didn't become such a "head case". Can't complain. Just gotta get healthy and consistent. Tonight, my knees didn't hurt as much. That led to better form and balance at the foul line (except when I fell). Not sure what happened with the fall. I think I was a little off-balanced and my slide foot just slid out from under me. Stayed on the approach though...AND picked up the 10-pin I left!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Well done. Beat my arse....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Week 17

Another decent night, but it's harder to stay motivated in this league with me being the high average bowler on a team of bowlers that average like 48, 120-130, and one in the 160s.

593 Series: 212-204-177

It's a fairly forgiving shot...so I wasn't "on", but I was "on enough" to put together a decent game.
    9 /, 7 2, X, X, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, X, X 9 -.

Was hoping to make a run at a high game; maybe even a high series, but I lost my line to transition a couple times. Cost myself over 20 pins with sub-par spare shooting at corner pins. But, it was the highest score in Game 2...beating out a couple 200+ average bowlers on the opposing team.
    X, X, X, 9 -, 9 -, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, X 9 /.

The Trident Odyssey (TO) did well for me, but I needed to make a change in the 4th frame, to the Force Pearl (FP). But, the lanes were just transitioning too much for me to run anything together.
    9 /, 8 /, S7 1, 9 /, X, X, 7 /, 9 -, 8 /, 9 /X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.21 pins
    Strikes: 45%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 69% (9/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 70% (12/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 75% (3/4)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 197.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 208.67.

Positives
    - Bowled above my average.
    - Didn't embarrass myself in front of the two higher average (200+) bowlers on the opposing team.
    - Most metrics improved (green) over last week.

Negatives
    - Lost 3 out of 4 points to a team we were tied with for 4th place.

Left knee felt good. Right knee was hurting. Achilles is sore. But, the timing seems much improved.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-11-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Week 17

STILL in first place! Facing ANOTHER high average team...so I was motivated (again) not to embarrass myself. Also hoping for my 3rd consecutive 638 series in as many weeks (this league)...but couldn't pull that off.

605 Series: 179-226-200

6 3, 9 /, X, 8 /, 7 /, X, 6 /, X, 5 2, XX9.
    Based on warm-ups, I thought I needed to adjust right, but then that led to going through the nose...so I moved back inside. Then, I realized I was going through the nose because I was pulling the shot and needed to move back outside. That little back and forth experiment cost me any chance of running strikes together early.

9 /, 9 -, X, X, X, 9 /, X, X, X, 9 /X.
    Felt good. Obviously upset that I completely whiffed on a 10-pin to spoil and otherwise clean game...but everything was going well. I think my game 2 was higher than bowlers on either team...or at least top 2.

X, X, X, 7 /, X, X, 7 /, 9 /, 9 -, 9 -.
    Stuck with the Trident Odyssey all the way. Had a shot at a really nice game...also had a shot to hit 638 again...but opened on corner pins in the 9th AND 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 51%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 4-pin (2x), 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Makeable spares: 66% (10/15)
    Multiple Pin spares: 71% (5/7)

Splits: N/A

Average over 3 games: 201.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 213.00.

Positives
    - Over 600 3 straight weeks.
    - Took 3 out of 4 against a talented team.

Negatives
    - Gotta fix single-pin spare shooting!

Not a bad night. Didn't need to move a "great" deal, and was able to use the Odyssey all 3 games. It's just disappointing to end the night with a missed 4-pin and 10-pin.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

LOL - which variable is off? Which variable is off? Oh - not that one. . . crap . . . OOOOOOH, I'm doing something stupid. OK - fix that - LOOK, we're good!

Yeah - normal process, right?
    Avg: 204
    High Game: 300 (1) -- High Series (785)
    Mr. Teal (Rhino Pro 15#); Zen Master (15#); Trouble Maker (15#); Nova (15#); White Dot (16#)

Kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    LOL - which variable is off? Which variable is off? Oh - not that one. . . crap . . . OOOOOOH, I'm doing something stupid. OK - fix that - LOOK, we're good!

Yeah - normal process, right?
    For me...yeah, sounds about right. Except usually it lasts all night instead of just the first half of Game 1.

Week 18

516 Series: 171-189-156

Lanes seemed to be playing "slick", so I was right of where I normally would start. That led to a rare 1st ball dump into the gutter in the 7th frame. Too many opens and not enough carry.
    8 /, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, - 8, 8 /, 7 2, X 6 /.

Pretty simple evaluation. Pocket hits just wouldn't carry...and I suddenly forgot how to pick up a single-pin. Finally switched to the Force Pearl in the 9th.
    X, X, 7 /, X, 9 -, 9 -, 9 -, X, X, X 7 2.

More trouble carrying, AND I ran into some split issues. That combination is almost never good for scoring....leading to my 8th lowest game of the season (4th lowest series).
    9 /, 9 /, 8 1, S7 1, 9 -, X, S7 2, X, X, 8 /S7.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 36%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 7-pin and 9-pin (2x each).

Makeable spares: 55% (10/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 172.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 186.33.

Positives
    - Due to the other team bowling even WORSE...we took 4 points and should be in the top 5 when we return in a couple weeks (off for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve)
    - Remarkably/Sadly Enough, I had the highest series of my team and the opposing team.

Negatives
    - 3/7 on corner pins.

Left knee felt good. Right knee feels good. Achilles is sore. The timing and balance seemed good early on, but my balance wasn't great near the end.

Not downplaying the 3/5 performance with 10-pins and 0/2 performance on 7-pins...but I WAS getting some bad breaks. A lot of solid, pocket hits that didn't carry. I watched two that were CLEARLY ringing 10s...looked identical. And, another night of playing DOWN to my competition in this league. Averaging just shy of 182 on Sundays...just shy of 189 on Wednesdays.

Week 18

STILL in first place! Facing ANOTHER high average team...so I was motivated (again) not to embarrass myself. Also hoping for my 4th consecutive 600+ series in as many weeks (this league)...but couldn't pull that off.

550 Series: 178-178-194

X, X, 9 /, S8 1, X, 9 /, 6 3, X, X, 9 -.
    Just couldn't run much together. A split and chopped left-side bucket...obviously could have done without a missed 4-pin in the 10th.

X, X, 7 1, 9 /, X, X, S7 -, X, X, 8 -.
    Same as Game 1. Sporadic doubles, a split, opened on a washout, and then there was the whiff on the 4-7 in the 10th.

9 -, X, 9 /, X, X, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, 9 -.
    Managed to run some strikes together, but 3 missed single-pins...including another disaster in the 10th made for a 3rd game < 200.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.23 pins
    Strikes: 53%
    Spares: 35% picked up

Single Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Makeable spares: 41% (5/12)
    Multiple Pin spares: 0% (0/3)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 183.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 198.67.

Positives
    - Took 3 out of 4 against a talented team.
    - Decent 1st Ball Average

Negatives
    - Gotta fix single-pin spare shooting!

Stuck with the Trident Odyssey all night. Seemed like it was coming through the nose when I was outside, but then hitting week when I moved a little inside.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I always have mixed emotions when my team wins despite my not bowling well.

Wish I were closer and could try to help you with those single pin spares. From about 1500 miles away my guess is that you're thinking too much while trying to shoot them.

Hope you and everyone else on the boards has a happy and healthy new year!
    John

Page 221 of 226 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225 ... LastLast