Page 222 of 226 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226 LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I always have mixed emotions when my team wins despite my not bowling well.
    That could literally be the title of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Wish I were closer and could try to help you with those single pin spares. From about 1500 miles away my guess is that you're thinking too much while trying to shoot them.
    I don't know. It seems like a grip issue...because I don't have the spare ball VISE drilled, so its a very different feel. But, I hesitate to VISE drill a spare ball and then have to constantly switch slugs...which would inevitably result in breaking the anchor or the slug(s).

Tonight was a little different. For some reason, my thumb shrunk considerably over the holidays. That meant dropping 3-4 sizes in my VISE slugs...and made my spare ball very loose. I added a 2nd piece of tape...but still.

Wednesday Night Established Men's League

Week 19

STILL in first place! Facing ANOTHER high average team...3rd week in a row.

Had high hopes for tonight given I was fresh and the cortisone shot in my knee really, really helped.

484 Series: 151-148-185

6 /, S8 1, 6 1, X, S7 -, S8 -, 9 /, 7 /, 9 /, XX9.
    Couldn't get the ball back to the pocket. Same as practice. Ended up having to play 1st arrow..which is my "B-game" for sure. Finally started settling down and making my spares...even ended strong to help the team take a point.

9 -, 8 /, 9 /, 8 1, 7 /, 8 1, X, 9 -, 8 /, 8 /X.
    Was still struggling and switched to the Scorpion Sting in the 7th. But, terrible spare shooting.

9 /, X, X, - /, 9 /, 8 -, 9 /, X, 9 /, X 7 /.
    Settled down a bit and was working towards a 250...or at LEAST a clean game. Something to salvage a good night. But, I was just having trouble with my spare ball and missed my 2nd 6-10 conversion. Oh well.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.35 pins
    Strikes: 26%
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (5/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, nor 6-pin.

Makeable spares: 71% (7/9)
    Multiple Pin spares: 66% (8/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-3-6 (2x), 4-7 (2x), 1-2-4-10 (2x), 6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 161.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 167.67.

Positives
    - Knee (right) felt great.
    - Some spare shooting stats are improved (compared to last week).
    - Team took 3 out of 4 and remains in 1st place.
    - Teammate shot a 267...which is the highest game he's thrown ever (entire bowling career...and hes older than me) bowled.

Negatives
    - Gotta be able to find the pocket sooner!
    - Achilles is a bit sore today.

Now that my knee is better, I'm gonna try to work in a practice...maybe over the weekend. And it'll just be low-ball, low-ball, low-ball....until I'm confident I can make 80% (or better) of my corner pins. 'Maybe' I need to change my targeting? I hesitate to do that because the targets/standing position were given to me by my former coach...and they WORKED for multiple years. The lanes haven't gotten longer or wider since then...so I'm the variable; not the targets. BUT...if I just throw my spare ball towards the half of the lane where the corner-pin is (rather than targeting a board at the arrows...I gotta think I could convert at least 75%. Or, maybe I need a sport psychologist. It 'seems' like much of my problem converting single-pins is being almost certain I'm going to miss when I'm getting ready on the approach.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-04-2024 at 02:03 PM. Reason: The voice in my head told me to...
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sunday Night Established Mixed League

Week 19

536 Series: 170-174-192

This is ridiculous! I hit the pocket 5 times (to start the game) and only struck once!! I mean, come on!! I bet you I rolled a quality ball at least 8 out of 10 (maybe 10 out of 10) times...struck ONCE! Switched from the Trident Odyssey to the Scorpion Sting in the 7th...but same thing, different ball. Even bit the bullet and switched to the Rhino Gold in the 10th. And, of course, Opened on a 7-pin in the 10th.
    8 /, 8 /, 9 /, 9 -, X, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 9 -.

More of the same. The Rhino Gold, with it's 3000 surface...just wasn't working. I had to move to 1st arrow and try to loft/push the ball up the lane....but inside 7...too much oil for it to make any move whatsoever. Finally switched to the Force Pearl in the 8th....needing something that could go long (in the beat up 7-10 board area) but still have power in the pocket. And, couldn't convert the baby split in the 10th...so another open 10th!
    9 -, 9 /, 9 /, X, 7 /, X, 9 /, 8 /, X, S8 1.

Figured I should have a decent 10th given I was using my best ball. Dumped it in the gutter on the first shot...yikes. Actually pushed a shot and pulled 2-3 shots...so my bad bowling skillz countered the better ball choice. FINALLY a strong 10th so I could salvage ONE game above my average.
    - /, X, 9 -, X, X, 8 /, S7 2, X, 7 /, XXX.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.72 pins
    Strikes: 34%
    Spares: 71% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (8/12)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin (3x), and 8-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 78% (15/19)
    Multiple Pin spares: 100% (7/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 178.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 194.00.

Positives
    - Took 3 out of 4 points thanks to the other team failing to bowl well. That should put us in the top 3 at this point in the season.
    - Spare-shooting was improved.

Negatives
    - Hitting light all night. Not sure if its my line or the ball burning up.
    - Spare shooting was improved, but still needs MORE improvement.
    - Sore Achilles.

With my right knee better (cortisone shot a week ago), I'm able to be more balanced at the foul line, I'm more accurate, can post my shots, etc... But, my line is up 7-8...which I don't mind. However, when I have to move right...I run out of room pretty fast. And, if I'm targeting 5-6...not much miss room before your ball is in the gutter.

I 'feel' good...I just need to start seeing that transfer on the lanes.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

May have complicated things by re-surfacing the Odyssey and Sting.

My "intent' was to put more surface on the entire arsenal...so I could move a little closer to 2nd arrow (at the start of the night) rather than have to work my way in from 7-8. So, I took the Odyssey (TO) from a Step 1 surface to a 1000 surface. I took the Scorpion Sting (SS) from Step 2 down to 1500.

I was planning on keeping the Rhino Gold at 3000 and dropping the Force Pearl down to 3000 (from Step 3). However, I think I'm going to leave the Force Pearl at a Step 3 finish given how much power that ball has...I don't want it over-reacting to friction.

Unfortunately, my attempts to drop the surface down on the TO and SS seems to be counter-productive. I only end up gaining maybe a half-board to a board of starting position (so essentially negligible). Any further movement left and the ball won't come back. But, at 7-9...with surface on those balls...they seem to burn out and hit the pocket and deflect...leaving 10-pins, etc...

And, the biggest flaw with this arsenal is how much MORE ball the TO is...versus the SS ball down option. The RGs are similar, but the core on the Odyssey is noticeably stronger. So, I usually have to move at least 1:1 right...usually more...when I ball down.

I might need to just accept the fact that my style works best with a polished pearl cover on a strong, 2.50 RG core. The last time I threw a solid cover well was my old Lethal Revolver...and I believe I put a 1500 (polished) surface on it.

So, maybe...

Ball #1: Trident Odyssey (1500/Step 1/Step 2)
    Ball #2: Scorpion Sting (1500/Step 2/Step 3)
    Ball #3: Vintage Rhino Gold (500/R. Compound/Polish)
    Ball #4: Force Pearl (500/Step 2/Polish)

Early on, when I first started bowling, I thought sanding a ball would make it hook more. I quickly learned that sanding a ball too much makes it hook less (because it loses most of it's energy before it ever gets to the breakpoint). So, maybe the solution to my problem is to take off the surface...still play the 5-9 area, but with more angle on the backend??

Week 20

STILL in first place!

Came in with low expectations...not confident in my surface adjustments...and I made some slight adjustments to my speed...which always causes me problems with timing.

666 Series: 184-267 (clean)-215 (clean)

9 -, 9 -, 9 /, X, 9 /, 8 /, 9 -, 9 /, X, XXX.
    Pretty much a continuation of Sunday night...hitting the pocket and leaving corner-pins. Made a switch to the Scorpion Sting (SS) in the 7th frame.

X, X, X, X, 8 /, X, X, X, X, X 9 /.
    Ughh!! SO close. The SS was working great...pulled a shot in the 5th...just a little...and left a 4-7. Oh well.

9 /, X, 8 /, X, X, 9 /, 6 /, X, 9 /, XXX.
    Wasn't making as good of shots in this game. Moved back on the approach to get a little more speed...but it was further back than I've stood in the past 8-9 years...so it messed with my timing a little. Switched to the Force Pearl (FP) in the 4th frame. Mainly I was just really trying to get a second clean game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.43 pins
    Strikes: 60%
    Spares: 78% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (8x)
    Also left a single 4-pin and 7-pin.

Makeable spares: 78% (11/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 100% (4/4)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 222.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 232.33.

Positives
    - Team took 3 out of 4.
    - Still in 1st Place.
    - I won a card game!
    - We beat a team that has one of the more annoying bowlers on it.
    - I had TWO clean games!!
    - Knee and Achilles are generally good.

Negatives
    - Gotta figure out this surface issue so I can stop leaving so many pocket 10s.
    - Better with spare shooting, but not perfect...still needs some work.
    - '666' = bad omen

I LOVE having a healthy knee on my slide leg. LOVE it. I can get in the right position, post my shot, stay balanced, keep my slide foot on the approach...all things that were a challenge when my knee was hurting. The Scorpion Sting did well in the 8-9 board area...despite the 1500 matte surface. All in all, just a good night for Aslan.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

it's always rewarding to beat those annoying persons. . .

Nice job!
    Avg: 204
    High Game: 300 (1) -- High Series (785)
    Mr. Teal (Rhino Pro 15#); Zen Master (15#); Trouble Maker (15#); Nova (15#); White Dot (16#)

Kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Week 20
    Team has managed to move into the top 3...despite one bowler that averages about 47. Coming off a solid 666 series Wednesday, so I was confident.

629 Series: 208 (clean)-222-199

Another 'almost' Dutch 200. Can't complain about a clean game...but needed to run some strikes together.
    X, 9 /, X, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, X, 8 /, 9 /X.

Kept with the Trident Odyssey (TO), which was rolling well. Really hurt my score when I sent the 2nd shot wide right and it came back hard into the nose...left a 4-6-7 split.
    X, S7 2, X, X, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, 7 /, XX9.

Stayed with the TO to start. Switched to the Force Pearl in the 5th frame, but ruined my clean game when I got too much hand into the shot and it hooked left of the 3-pin. Just wasn't making good shots toward the end.
    X, X, X, 9 /, 8 -, 8 /, 8 /, 8 /, X, 9 / 8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.21 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 86% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (8/12)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 2-pin, 4-pin, and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 3-pin and 7-pin.

Makeable spares: 92% (13/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4 and 3-6 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 209.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 209.67.

Positives
    - 100% on single-pin spares!
    - Clean game!

Negatives
    - Sore Achilles.
    - Team lost 3 of 4.

We're not used to "giving" teams pins...but we had to give up around 15 tonight...AND were missing our 4th bowler...so, even my strong night didn't help us as we lost 3 of 4. Oh well. At least I've seen two nights in a row of me back to my 195ish bowling versus my 185ish bowling I've seen previously.

Week 21

Came in with high expectations after 2 straight nights with a 600+ series. Nope.

522 Series: 195-182-145

8 /, 9 -, X, 8 /, X, 7 2, 9 /, X, X, X 9 /.
    Took me awhile to adjust to the new surface (3000) I put on the Trident Odyssey (TO). I mean, it was only two opens and I bowled above my average...but I felt like a combination of "I'm not making good shots" and "I can't really find my shot".

9 -, X, 7 /, X, 9 /, 9 /, 6 /, 9 -, 6 /, XXX.
    Switched to the Scorpion Sting (SS) in the 3rd frame. Switched to the Force Pearl in the 10th and thought I found my answer. Felt good to strike out and help the team take the point, but not a "good" game.

9 - , 9 /, X, X, S8 -, S8 -, X, 9 -, S8 -, X S7 1.
    Just awful. One shot I'd get no hand into the shot...the next shot I'd get too much hand into the shot. It's my own fault for trying to work on my release during the game, rather than set aside some time to practice. I was watching teammates and opponents virtually miss the pocket and they'd strike. I'd miss a little right or a little left, and I'd get a split. I'd slam the pocket...leave a corner-pin. FOUR splits. Come on.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 41%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 6-pin, 7-pin (3x) and 10-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 62% (10/16)
    Multiple Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 174.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 191.00.

Positives
    - Team is in 1st place and took all 4 points.
    -Knee and Achilles are generally good.
    - The alley got new equipment (scoring machines and screens).

Negatives
    - Everything else.

Back to reality. I suck at bowling. It's just so frustrating when you make 3-9 shots a night that are perfect...but you also throw 5-15 shots that are terrible. Miss right, pull left, drop the ball, suitcase release, bad spare shooting. Just when you think you've figured it out, you have a terrible night and can't hit 550. Then, you set your expectations low...and you throw a 250+ game and are just firing on all cylinders.

I HATE bowling badly. It ruins my week.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Week 21

- The alley got new equipment (scoring machines and screens).

I HATE bowling badly. It ruins my week.
    Just before COVID our center put in much needed new consoles. The old ones were prone to refusing to register some keys and the solution was either have someone change it from the counter or giving the top of the console a sharp thwack with the heel of your hand. The new ones are touch screen tablets. Some of the features that could be there, like ordering food or drinks, aren’t because the center didn’t buy the full software package. They have upgraded the software at least once. It might have been fixing a bug in the original. After the upgrade things seemed to work differently. Before if you had skipped a bowler and they didn’t show up, you could go directly to putting in the blind score. Now you have to unskip and then put in the blind
    I’m ready to go back to overhead projectors and reset buttons on the side of the ball return

And yet you keep coming back🤔
    John

Yeah. They didn't have the "oldest" equipment I've ever seen...its a newer center to start with. They had the typical, oval shaped old Brunswick scoring consoles. Not as old/out-dated as the old AS-90s that I used to have to wrestle with when I bowled in California. Those they legitimately had to buy old units from closing bowling centers just so they'd have spare parts.

The new ones are okay. Apparently you can play "Angry Birds" and you can track your bowling on your phone...all kinds of new-fangled stuff. I was impressed back when the scoring units would play little cartoons or show a bowling clip from the PBA after you struck or spared or missed. But, I guess this is progress. If it gets more kids interested in bowling...why not?

I don't really care what scoring system they have as long as it works...and thats usually based more on the camera and pin setters than the scoring system.

I DID like how it showed the ball speeds for each bowler and gave ya some stats. I use Pinpal...so I don't pay too much attention...but the speeds seem more accurate now. The old system I was in the 12.2-13.9 range. Last night I was in the 13.7-14.7 range.

We'll see. I'd settle for bowling 600s using the old AS-90s or projectors vs having fancy scoring systems and bowling sub 550.

Week 21

545 Series: 169-184-192

Started off with single-pin misses...but recovered best I could.
    9 -, 9 -, 9 /, 7 /, X, X, - 9, 9 /, X, X S7 2.

Kept with the Trident Odyssey (TO), but changed to the Force Pearl in the 9th. Just wasn't making good shots.
    9 -, X, X, X, 9 /, 7 2, 8 /, 6 2, 9 /, XX6.

Still struggled to carry, but my spare shooting improved to salvage at least one half-way decent score.
    9 -, 9 /, X, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, 9 -, X, 9 / 7.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.68 pins
    Strikes: 38%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 61% (8/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 4-pin (2x), 5-pin, 6-pin (2x), 7-pin (2x), and 9-pin.

Makeable spares: 55% (10/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 181.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 199.33.

Positives
    - Team managed to pick up a few points.

Negatives
    - Spare shooting; obviously.

Very poor carry all night long.
    Exhausting.

Page 222 of 226 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226 LastLast