Page 85 of 226 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Nice set other than the first game. Can't say this makes sense to me though your having problems missing left starting off and the problem gets better as your speed drops and the lanes dry out? Lower speed and dryer lanes should equate to missing even farther left unless you can't throw the balls until they are burning up or something. I think you've got something going on other than what you think starting out.
    I think under normal conditions...I struggle early on fresh and get better as they dry out.

In the case below...I was missing left in Game 1 so I balled down in Game 2. And in Game 2 I was missing right...then seemed to hit the pocket well...and by the last couple frames of Game 3 started missing left as the lanes broke down. So, it makes sense the way you're thinking about it...you just have to throw out the first game since that was more of a bad ball choice.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I think under normal conditions...I struggle early on fresh and get better as they dry out.

In the case below...I was missing left in Game 1 so I balled down in Game 2. And in Game 2 I was missing right...then seemed to hit the pocket well...and by the last couple frames of Game 3 started missing left as the lanes broke down. So, it makes sense the way you're thinking about it...you just have to throw out the first game since that was more of a bad ball choice.
    Makes a little more sense like that. Sounds like to me your trying to make the lanes play how you want instead of what they are giving up in the beginning and waiting on them to come to you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Wednesday League Night: low-oil synthetics, typical THS.

556 Series: 157-214-185

Game 1 I just couldn't keep the Le. Revolver right of the pocket. Same problem I had Tuesday night. But I also would sometimes make a shot that would be perfect...so I wasn't sure if I was playing the wrong line, the wrong ball choice, bad timing, inconsistent release, or speed variance. And again, a Game 1 that is just lower than my other 2 games. Can't seem to break the cycle. Maybe I HAVE TO show up early every night and bowl one warm-up game...get the Gremlins out of my game. I don't know. But 157 is fairly devastating in a league where I average(d) 190.

To add insult to injury...that older guy that I've complained about in the past...he threw a 278 with an old Columbia urethane from the 80s/90s. Horrible speed. Horrible form. A ball technology that existed before cell phones. Yet he just struck...every single time except once. A guy like me watches that and thinks, "Well then, whats the point? Whats the point of practice and lessons and learning about equipment?

On the other hand...to try and think positively...I've been bowling 2 years and am the anchor of that team and average 190. A BAD game for me in that league is 150-185. That guy averages in the low 170s and is usually happy if he can finish with a 150-180. So, a random game aside, I've managed to go from worse to better than him in 2 years and he's been bowling since the 1960s.

On the other hand...my highest sanctioned game is a 256...and I keep watching these other bowlers surpass that...even if sporadically...and it's like, "When will I finally be able to run some of these strike streaks together where someone like ME can bowl in the 260-300 range??" I'm trying to be patient, trying to become a fundamentally better bowler...then this guy rolls a 278 doing most everything wrong.

Game 2 I continued to miss left but made some adjustments and actually started to find the pocket more...but by the end of the game was back to missing left. My only open was a 2-7-8 split in the 9th to kinda screw up my foundation frame.

Game 3 was more of the same...missing left, adjusting, missing right, adjusting...definitely lost my strike ball....but only had one open on a 1-3-6-8 in the 8th frame.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.56 pins
    Strikes: 37% (2 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 2 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (3/5)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 6-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Other single-pin leave was the 2-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 64% (9/14)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6-10 (4x).

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 185.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 192.00.

I think my ball choice was wrong. Just like Tuesday. I guess I just had more confidence in the Le. Revolver and stubbornly didn't want to switch and lose the carry.

I looked at my speeds and they didn't seem as bad as I thought they'd be:

Speed Range: 14.51-17.48mph
    Speed Range (w/o outliers): 15.09-16.97mph

Variance shot to shot (frame-to-frame):
    Range: 0.04mph to 1.59mph

And I also have to realize that much of my mental issues are actually just increased expectations. I mean, Tuesday night I shot a 554 and was happy because I had a couple good teams, looked like the best bowler in terms of form...or at least 2nd best. And I helped the team win 3 of 4 points against the top team in the league. AND I won $6 playing poker.

LAST night...I bowled a 556 (higher), the team took 4 out of 4 points (more than the 3 Tuesday) from the team above us in the position round, and I won the larger poker game in Game 3 and won $15 (more than $6 on Tuesday). So....how can I bowl a better series...win more money...and take more points as a team...yet felt horrible compared to the night before??

Part of it is my teammates saved me last night. One guy bowled a 278 in Game 1, another guy bowled a 253 in Game 2...so, the anchor got bailed out a bit. But the BIGGER PICTURE is...my expectations are far higher on Wednesdays AND my expectations continue to creep up steadily. Last year I'd have been happy with a 500+ series. Now, anything less than a clean 600+ series and I'm miserable. And I don't think that's fair...because VDub also has a goal of never getting under 600...but he has the skill and experience to make that happen...and I do not.

I gotta figure out the footwork. Trying to shorten that first step and keep a fluid motion to the foul line is causing me to move very fast. That is where my speed comes from...my feet. And I think that in a lot of cases I am rushing the shot...getting to the foul line too soon, late timing...and in many cases I'm missing my mark and off balance...just feels like it's TOO fast. IDK. I got one league night left...maybe 1-3 chances to practice with a holiday weekend approaching...then it's time to sweep...two leagues in one weekend...could be a great experience where I win enough to cover my expenses...maybe even enough to make a little profit. OR...I can go there and drop $400-$600...come back broke...and spending the entire 5hr car ride questioning whether I should leave my bowling balls in the desert somewhere.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Wednesday Practice: low-oil synthetics, THS

Post-League Practice: 204-188

No rest for the wicked. I didn't really feel like staying at the lanes after rolling 3 league games when it's 10PM already...but I wanted to see if part or most of my problem was stubbornly sticking with the Lethal Revolver all night when I really should have balled down midway through Game 1.

Didn't really learn much. Seems to be some timing and approach issues that are making it hard to figure out if it's a ball/line issue or not.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.14 pins
    Strikes: 50% (1 4-bagger, 2 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, 7-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a.

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 196.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 201.50.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Wednesday League Night: low-oil synthetics, typical THS.

556 Series: 157-214-185

Game 1 I just couldn't keep the Le. Revolver right of the pocket. Same problem I had Tuesday night. But I also would sometimes make a shot that would be perfect...so I wasn't sure if I was playing the wrong line, the wrong ball choice, bad timing, inconsistent release, or speed variance. And again, a Game 1 that is just lower than my other 2 games. Can't seem to break the cycle. Maybe I HAVE TO show up early every night and bowl one warm-up game...get the Gremlins out of my game. I don't know. But 157 is fairly devastating in a league where I average(d) 190.

To add insult to injury...that older guy that I've complained about in the past...he threw a 278 with an old Columbia urethane from the 80s/90s. Horrible speed. Horrible form. A ball technology that existed before cell phones. Yet he just struck...every single time except once. A guy like me watches that and thinks, "Well then, whats the point? Whats the point of practice and lessons and learning about equipment?
    I've told you over and over again, with a THS, the game doesn't require overall skill, it just rewards a specific technique.

The closer you are to what the lane wants, the worse you can be at things the lane doesn't care about.

When the ball follows skid, hook, roll, and the hook phase only significantly effects ball motion for a very short distance, there isn't a lot the bowler can do wrong if they are playing the oil line, and have the ball with the proper parameters for that bowler.

Now if you make a change to the oil pattern, (width, or length), that bowler goes back to looking like garbage, and a different bowler becomes invincible.

I just found out that our 234 avg bowler at Arlington didn't even break 500 when we went to Laughlin.

Clearly he's got the ability to repeat shots, but to get to 234 he had to fine tune his technique and equipment to what Arlington wanted.

Laughlin wanted something different, and he didn't bring it.

Friday Practice: low oil, THS

560 Series: 180-166-214

Game 1 I couldn't really find a strike line but made all but one spare.

Game 2 I started to find a strike line but chopped a 1-2-4 and missed a couple splits including a 4-7-10 in the 10th.

Game 3 was great, 6 strikes...only one open.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.50 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (4/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: n/a (1x each).
    Only left a 2-pin, 5-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 64% (9/14)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2, 3-6-10, and 6-10 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 186.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Better than the last practice. Mainly was trying to keep my elbow locked and arm straight until the thumb was out and I was also trying to keep the swing as effortless as possible. But it was encouraging. I made all my single-pin spares and only missed a couple makable (non-splits) spares.
    Last edited by Aslan; 09-06-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Saturday Date Night Practice: low oil, THS

Took a date bowling to fill some time. Scores aren't worth much since I wasn't really trying much...mostly just answering her questions and helping her. She must have only bowled a couple times in her lifetime so it was a pretty rough prospect. And on a couple of my shots I actually threw her ball just to illustrate something.

145-148

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.36 pins
    Strikes: 27% (1 double, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 43% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: n/a (2x each).
    Only left a 4-pin, 7-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2, 4-7, and 1-3-6-9 (2x each)

Splits: n/a.

Average over 3 games: 146.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 164.50.

Lots of trouble with single-pin spares for some reason...but I also had a pretty solid first ball average. Another practice/night like this and I'll have to get some low-ball in before sweeps next weekend. : (

Sunday Morning Practice: low-medium oil, THS

Date didn't go well last night so I went to bed early and got up early and thought it might be nice to get some bowling in.

609 Series: 191-203-215
    Game 1 I had to get used to the fresher than usual practice/pattern conditions. Game 2 was 'okay'. Game 3 I really felt good until I missed picking up a 7-pin in the 9th and then left the **** 8-10 split on a pocket hit in the 10th. Shoulda been a 230+ game...but oh well.

552 Series: 188-180-184
    Found a strike line late in Game 4, but a split and a chopped bucket kept me down. Game 5 was almost identical, found the strike line late, but a split and a chopped 3/4 bucket kept it down. Finally switched to the Dark Encounter in the 8th. Game 6 was okay, but I missed a couple 10-pins.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 49% (1 5-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 4 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 8 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 82% (14/17)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (5x).
    Only left a 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 41% (7/17)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (4x).

Splits: 0% (0/5).

Average over 6 games: 193.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 198.83.

I worked on my focus, targeting, balance, release, timing, approach, etc... Things were actually coming along quite well. Normally the lanes are hard to play/practice on because they're so dry...but I got there early enough in the AM that they were still in good shape.

I worked on my lateral movements and adjustments.

One thing I've found is that sometimes if you're hitting light...you can move right...straighten the line out a little, and hit pocket/carry. But you could also move left and try to get the ball more into the dry.

I've also found that when I move left it's either a 1:1, 2:1, or 3:2 move (feet to target). But when I'm hitting light...I might move JUST my feet 0.5-2 boards right...to try and just 'tweak' the line a bit...straighten it out.

But one thing I've really struggled with is that eventually I end up with a very straight shot up the 11-13 boards...just riding the oil line. But that shot:
    A) Requires exact precision.
    B) Gives you very little miss room.
    C) Gives you horrible carry.

But I also struggle if I get too far inside of 13...I just don't have the revs/speed/ball combination to play that far inside.

But because of my SYSTEM(s)...I get somewhat locked in to certain lines and then when I ball down...the difference between the Le. Revolver and D. Encounter is so big...that I almost always will have to adjust my line right more than once to make up for the weakness of the D. Encounter.

I remember RobM once said in one of his posts to me that someday I'll be confident enough in my skill set that I won't be so reliant on "systems" to make adjustments for me. And he's absolutely right. Now that I sort of know how the patterns work and I am familiar with my arsenal...I actually was making adjustments to my line and feet that didn't really 'fit' my standard system. Maybe I move left a couple boards...but move my target 0.5 boards right...try to give myself a little more angle...but also keep it out in the dry a bit to get some angle downlane.

This was the first time I've actually felt confident with my left foot slightly left of center.

Overall very confident with my last couple practices. Not sure how it'll play in Vegas...but I think I might have a shot. Doesn't look like I'll have a chick with me so I guess in glass is half full news, less distractions from my bowling.

Labor Day Morning Practice: low-medium oil, THS

Wanted to confirm that yesterday's practice wasn't a complete fluke...and ramping up my practice/effort with sweeps less than a week away.

204-179-208-196
    Game 1 felt good, just missed a 7-pin and 10-pin...so single-pin spare shooting was a little off to start.

Game 2 I lost my strike line and switched to the Dark Encounter but had to make a bunch of adjustments since the D. Encounter is a bit weaker. Lots of spares...but missed a single 6-pin to ruin the clean game.

Finally found a strike line with the D. Encounter in Game 3 and was a missed single 10-pin away from a clean game.

I bought one more game because I wanted to see how the Asylum was working. But it took me most of the game to finally get a good line with it so I could never run many strikes together. Only open was a chopped 2-5 in the 9th which cost me a 200+ game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 41% (1 4-bagger, 2 turkeys, 1 double, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 80% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (14/18)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4-10 and 3-6 (2x each).

Splits: n/a.

Average over 4 games: 196.75.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 208.25.

Form looked good again. Had a statistically awesome morning of multi-pin spare shooting...but look at the number to the right...and you'll see it helps if you don't leave many of them to begin with. Single-pin spare shooting was concerning me and I was tempted to play 1-2 games of low-ball. But I think I kinda figured that out after the first few games...I think I need to really just focus on the target...like in golf...I need to stop popping up or popping my head up...keep my head down until the ball passes the mark.

I have an arsenal/scenario question but will ask it in a separate thread.

Tuesday League Night: low-oil synthetics

Pre-League Practice:

512 Series: 188-169-155
    I was struggling to find a line that worked on the lanes before the guy came by with the oil machine. I balled down to the Dark Encounter but when trying to pick up a 10-pin in the 3rd frame I stuck on the approach and fell. I spent the rest of the game just trying to get my head right and still was missing left terribly even after the fresh oil was applied. Game 3 I balled down to the Asylum and opened up my angle a bit...played a little deeper...and that line seemed to be working the best so I just decided to try the Asylum to start league play.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 32% (1 4-bagger, 2 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 5-pin (5x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 58% (7/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-3-9.

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 170.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 178.67.

League Play: Position Round (Final Night of Summer League Play before Sweeps this weekend)
    514 Series: 167-186-161

I ended up starting with the Dark Encounter because in practice I just couldn't control the Asylum. If my line got too far into the dry, the ball would hook too far left...if I straightened out the line, the Asylum would hit light or jerk through the nose at the last minute. But the D. Encounter couldn't stay right...just missing the pocket. Finally I put a few strikes together late...but it just wasn't working.

Game 2 I went to the Asylum thinking maybe I could play deeper and use the dry and hopefully find some way to control the Asylum...but it was more of the same...if I got it out in the dry, it hooked brooklyn or through the nose...if I straightened out the line and tried to play up the 9-10 board...it would just lazily skid into the pocket and hit light. And then in the 10th frame I pulled a shot (thanks to announcement #103 over the loud speaker...$&%^^!)...chopped the 1-2-3-5-6-9-10...to lose my shot at a 200+ game.

Game 3 I went back to the safety net...grabbed the Lethal Revolver and just went back to standing just right of center and throwing it out towards the outside of 2nd arrow...but I was trying to keep my axis rotation down...knowing that too much hand and the Le. Revolver would hook the lane. But I only managed to get the ideal speed/axis tilt combination maybe once or twice. Most shots I threw too hard with not enough axis rotation...then by the time I figured it out...the lanes had transitioned slightly and I was going through the nose.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.44 pins
    Strikes: 37% (3 turkeys and 3 singles)
    Spares: 44% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (3/5)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 5-pin (2x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, 7-pin, 9-pin, nor 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 38% (5/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4-8 and 4-7 (2x each).

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 171.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 178.00.

Horrible warm-up for sweeps. Everything that could go wrong, DID go wrong. Too much hand, not enough hand, ball progression all screwed up, falling down on the approach, and spare shooting failing me. Our team took 3 points...went out with a couple nice wins in the last 2 weeks...but just a really bad performance after a weekend of some nice practices.

I sweep Saturday. The AM session will be against more players and to some degree tougher competition. But, my average is 172 in that league which should help. I then sweep at noon in another center for my Wednesday league and while that is a smaller league with lesser competition (in general)...I carry a 190 average in that league so unless RobM gives me some kinda magical, super-secret trick Friday morning during my lesson...on how to dominate those lanes...gonna be tough. Definitely going to need to re-establish the confidence on Friday when I practice at the 2 centers in Vegas.

Page 85 of 226 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast