Page 87 of 226 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Sorry you season ended in a disappointment. I know how that feels the end of this past fall season was a big let down for me and I'm still trying to recover from that slump. Hope the Jab works good for you from what I've seen a good ball and should plug a gap in that arsenal of yours.
    It actually is an interesting ball in terms of the comparison I think Rob was looking for.

He gave it to me to show me some difference that simply age/technology makes. The difficulty in making that comparison is you're often comparing apples and oranges unless you have two balls from different eras with nearly identical specs. Well, the Jab is virtually identical in specs to the Loaded Revolver...so it should be an apples to apples comparison.

The two are SO close I was almost tempted to just plug the Jab and put it on my bowling rack since the Loaded Revolver is pretty much identical...so why carry around a 6th ball everywhere? And had I won it in a contest or giveaway...that's probably what I would have done. But given that Rob gave it to me with a purpose in mind....and seeing as it already has some games on it....I figured I'd just wedge it between the Asylum and Loaded Revolver in terms of progression.

Rob doesn't like the term "progression"...because it implies precognition rather than using what the lanes specifically dictate on that pair at that time. The downside to Rob's "anti-progression system" is that it usually requires a poo-ton of practice before league play or before tournament play to actually figure out how a ball is going to work...and then you factor in that the lanes you practice on are usually not oiled the same as league night...and there's no guarantee you'll be on the same pair...so what are you going to do? Practice 24 hours before your league by showing up just after they oil and demand the same pair you'll get the following day?? Lord knows I can't get enough practice shots pre-league play to try 5 strike balls on 1-3 different lines. I used to try and roll 1-3 different balls on 2-3 different lines and I think I only had enough time to do that once.

Recently, 5-person leagues, I barely have enough time during practice to figure out my strike line...much less try different balls and different lines. THUS...even though Rob might disagree...I think you need some type of 'progression' or 'system' so that you can make a choice quickly and confidently...and then roll with that decision and make adjustments as needed.

The Loaded Revolver is still in the Pro Shop and I couldn't get in for my next lesson until September 29th...so I'll just have the Jab as my 4th ball (dry conditions) until I can get the Loaded Revolver and actually spend some time throwing them side by side. Maybe I'll even dig out the video camera and put another video together like I did with the Encounter Project.

And yeah, as dejected as I was...the great thing about bowling is you got another chance at greatness as soon as the new season starts!! And I certainly won't be hurting for instruction from high level coaches as this coming season is about to begin. I had a lesson with Rob on the 11th...a lesson scheduled with Mark Baker on the 18th...and a lesson scheduled with my regular coach on the 29th.

But I have a feeling this season will either be a breakout season where I finally start getting my shot-to-shot consistency under control (speed, revs, hand, etc..) OR...it's going to be another frustrating season where every lesson seems to be yet another attempt to try and fix my timing and approach funkiness. Maybe both. We'll see.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday League: First Night: low-oil synthetics, THS, very, very dry tonight.

The league was bigger than expected so a few teams got moved to the other side...and the conditions were probably the 2nd or 3rd driest/shortest I've ever experienced. I was standing with my left foot from 21 all the way out to 42 and ended up targeting the 18-21 boards. There was no way to use the Lethal Revolver so I started the first two games with the Dark Encounter which worked well in Game 1.

530 Series: 194-156-180
    Game 1 I threw 7 strikes. Unfortunately I also threw it in the gutter on the second shot and was only 1 for 3 on single-pin spare conversions. Game 2 kinda fell apart. Missed a 9-pin in the 7th then chopped a 3-9 in the 8th before opening in the 10th with a 4-7-10 split. Game 3 I switched to the Asylum and was clean through 9 before missing a single 10-pin in the 10th. But I couldn't get the carry with the Asylum...mostly spares in Game 3.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.48 pins
    Strikes: 41% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 9-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 63% (7/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-5 (2x).

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 176.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.67.

This league is kinda a trip. Not a lot of talent. I'm actually glad I didn't bowl too well because had I won the side pots with an entering average of 167; I would have felt bad. Oh...and after giving $1 a week to the mystery score guy on Wednesdays and never coming close to winning...I decided this season not to do it...and of course in Game 1 they pull 194. Cost me $92 on a failure to invest $1.

It might have been that our lanes, were not oiled pre-league because they hadn't planned on using them...but that would surprise me. We'll find out next week. But it's gonna be a REAL TRIP if I gotta play that far inside. Even with the Melee Jab that RobM gave me...which I switched to in the 10th of the 3rd game...more on that below.

Post-Game Practice: 155-160

This ball has some bite on the back end. Reminds me of the Asylum...it's got some movement near the end of the pattern...kinda erratic and hard to control. And even with that ball I was standing about 34 with my left toe....and targeting 14-15 at the dots. RobM noticed during my lesson last Friday that I have developed a bit of a drift to the right...so I think I probably was drifting quite a bit tonight. I didn't think to check each shot...but most bowlers...as they open up those angles...tend to move/drift towards their target...kinda a natural reaction.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Monday League: First Night: low-oil synthetics, THS, very, very dry tonight.

The league was bigger than expected so a few teams got moved to the other side...and the conditions were probably the 2nd or 3rd driest/shortest I've ever experienced. I was standing with my left foot from 21 all the way out to 42 and ended up targeting the 18-21 boards. There was no way to use the Lethal Revolver so I started the first two games with the Dark Encounter which worked well in Game 1.

530 Series: 194-156-180
    Game 1 I threw 7 strikes. Unfortunately I also threw it in the gutter on the second shot and was only 1 for 3 on single-pin spare conversions. Game 2 kinda fell apart. Missed a 9-pin in the 7th then chopped a 3-9 in the 8th before opening in the 10th with a 4-7-10 split. Game 3 I switched to the Asylum and was clean through 9 before missing a single 10-pin in the 10th. But I couldn't get the carry with the Asylum...mostly spares in Game 3.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.48 pins
    Strikes: 41% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 9-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 63% (7/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-5 (2x).

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 176.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.67.

This league is kinda a trip. Not a lot of talent. I'm actually glad I didn't bowl too well because had I won the side pots with an entering average of 167; I would have felt bad. Oh...and after giving $1 a week to the mystery score guy on Wednesdays and never coming close to winning...I decided this season not to do it...and of course in Game 1 they pull 194. Cost me $92 on a failure to invest $1.

It might have been that our lanes, were not oiled pre-league because they hadn't planned on using them...but that would surprise me. We'll find out next week. But it's gonna be a REAL TRIP if I gotta play that far inside. Even with the Melee Jab that RobM gave me...which I switched to in the 10th of the 3rd game...more on that below.

Post-Game Practice: 155-160

This ball has some bite on the back end. Reminds me of the Asylum...it's got some movement near the end of the pattern...kinda erratic and hard to control. And even with that ball I was standing about 34 with my left toe....and targeting 14-15 at the dots. RobM noticed during my lesson last Friday that I have developed a bit of a drift to the right...so I think I probably was drifting quite a bit tonight. I didn't think to check each shot...but most bowlers...as they open up those angles...tend to move/drift towards their target...kinda a natural reaction.
    Good way to start, you have really come a long way the last few years. I know you will, but keep at it. With all of the knowledge you have in your noggin', I know you will continue getting better.

On the mystery score... I did the exact same thing last week. Over the summer I was putting $2 each week, for game 1 and 2. I stopped last week donating to it and wouldnt you know it, the 278 I bowled last week would have won the mystery score and likely about $60 or so.

High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Wednesday League: First Night: low-oil synthetics, THS, Easy House.

Pre-League Practice/warm-up: 179-232
    Hard to believe you can throw 7 strikes and only open once and all you have to show for it is a 232...but that was one of the better games I've thrown in awhile.

I averaged 189 in this league last season and was drafted to be on a "super team" this season. I've lost the anchor spot to their anchor (who I think gets 4 less pins handicap than I do) so I'm bowling 4th...but behind the same guy I bowled behind on last season's team...he was the one that drafted me to go with him to the new team.

First game out of the gate we played a pretty talented team. They edged us by 4 pins in Game 1 and then 120 in Game 2. But in Game 3 we stormed back and ended up splitting.

574 Series: 171-192-211
    Game 1 I ran into a few frames where I got a pocket 8-10 split, then threw it in the gutter on the first shot of the next frame, then whiffed on a 2-5 in the 5th. Then it was strike, spare the rest of the way.

Game 2 I only opened on a 6-7-10 split in the 3rd frame and missed a single 6-pin in the 7th frame.

Game 3 I was just in a zone...through the first 8 frames I struck 5 times and left 3 single 10-pins. Unfortunately I left a 1-2-4-10 in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 48% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Only left a single 6-pin, 7-pin, 9-pin, and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 28% (2/7)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a (left each once).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 191.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 195.33.

Another rare outing where I feel like a bowler.
    Last edited by Aslan; 09-17-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Monday League: low-medium synthetics

Bowled sick. I went to the doctor in the morning and was in bed all day. Was right on the border of whether I'd even be able to bowl much less bowl well...but didn't want to miss the second night.

512 Series: 146-187-179
    Had a horrible time finding the pocket early. The ball choice was wrong...the line was wrong...just an entire game of struggling to play inside of 12 when the shot just wasn't there. I knew I should have started outside 2nd arrow; but after last week being so dry...my starting line was just screwed up.

Game 2 I balled down to the Dark Encounter but was still struggling to play inside of second arrow. Only one open though; 1-2-10 washout in the 4th.

Game 3 I moved a little more outside...but it was just in time for the lanes to start transitioning so I started missing left...and it took most of game 3 to get realigned.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 34% (4 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (6/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (2x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (6/14)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6 and 6-10(2x each).

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 170.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

I got a lesson from Mark Baker on Friday. Most of the lesson went fantastic. I even practiced at a center while getting my car repaired and rolled a 207 with a plastic house ball. So, obviously, high hopes for league play this week. Well, between the lanes actually being oiled this time (last time we got moved to the other side at the last minute so I think we were playing on dry) and me being sick with some type of respiratory virus and on codeine laced cough syrup...obvious disappointment.

And...I bit myself in the *** by being honest. They had my average listed as 162. I told them my average is actually 167 and that they probably made the mistake by not adjusting my sport league average. The guy went back and looked things up...and now I have a 174 average because they don't use the composite; they use the highest average of any league.

But hey...we still took 4 more points and are 8-0 to start. At least I think we are. Ya never really know the first few weeks of the season while many people are establishing and such.
    Last edited by Aslan; 09-22-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Wednesday League: low-medium oil synthetics, dry outside, heavy oil inside, easier house shot.

615 Series: 221-192-202
    Game 1 my only open was a very make-able 4-7 in the 9th. But a strong game.

Game 2 I only opened on a 1-2-4-10 washout in the 3rd and a 4-10 split in the 4th...but thats all it takes to ruin a run at 200.

Game 3 was strong early on, but I missed a single 4-pin in the 7th and then left another 4-7 in the 10th and chopped it.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.16 pins
    Strikes: 53% (1 4-bagger, 2 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (2/6)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 4-7 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 205.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 209.00.

A full house in Game 2 and a Flush in Game 3 and I couldn't win a poker hand. But my 202 in the 3rd was barely enough to take 1 of my 2 brackets so thats a positive.

Gonna have to work on hitting the 4-7 in practice tomorrow. Unacceptable. But I knew it was going to be a good night. I was bowling a familiar face from the sport shot league I was in and was wearing my lucky bowling jersey. Figured the combination of the jersey and my tendency to bowl better against people I'm trying to impress would translate into a good night.

The closure of the lanes in Tustin has flooded other centers with teams...so our 18 team league from summer has become a 30 team league. It's actually pretty cool. But I can't get too excited...I made some bad shots tonight and the easy pattern compensated. Gonna practice tomorrow at the other center to try and get my average up there.

Saturday Color of Money Tournament: medium oil synthetics

Small weekly colored-pin tournament.

I only participated in the tournament because I got knocked out of the poker tournament, had nothing to do, and the last two days I've been trying to practice but they haven't had their lanes oiled...so whats the point?

568 Series: 188-207-173
    Game 1 was clean except for a chopped 1-8 in the 4th frame.

Game 2 I was also clean except for a 3-6-7 split in the 8th frame.

Game 3 I switched to the Dark Encounter and had 3 open frames and all spares until the 9th and I struck out from there to salvage a 173.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.41 pins
    Strikes: 41% (1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, 2 doubles and 3 singles)
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (2/2)
    Most common single-pin leaves: n/a.
    Only left a single 6-pin and 10-pin (2x each).

Multiple Pin spares: 68% (11/16)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-4-10 washout (3x).

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 189.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Played in this little miniature color-pin tournament 3 times and shot a 562, 567, and 568. Consistent I guess.

Made some good shots. I only did the tournament to practice on oiled lanes. Mainly my release was a bit inconsistent.

Kinda feel like I got hustled at the end though. One guy I was bowling with wasn't doing very well and the shots he was drinking seemed to be getting to him and he asked me if I wanted to play against him for $2. So the guy that was kinda stinking...140s-160s...but then proceeded to beat me 202-197.

Oh well. It was a good practice.

Monday League: medium oil synthetics

475 Series: 172-170-133

No carry. Game 1 I only opened on a 1-2-10 washout and 4-9 split. Game 2 I left 3 splits but managed to pick one of em up. Still no carry. Switched to the Dark Encounter (from Lethal Revolver) for Game 3...still couldn't carry...but also couldn't pick up 5 of the 8 spare attempts.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.21 pins
    Strikes: 24% (2 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 59% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin (3x)
    Only left a 4-pin, 5-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (8/16)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 4-7 and 4-9 split (2x each).

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 3 games: 158.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 161.67.

I don't know. I don't know if it's the pattern or if I'm using the wrong line or wrong ball or what. What I DO know is I couldn't keep the ball right of the headpin...and many times pocket hits would turn into single 4-pins and 4-9 splits. And if I put any hand into the shot...it'd hit left of Brooklyn. I tried moving inside...then the ball would miss right and leave a washout.

Had high hopes that game, bowling against the other team's anchor who I know actually has competed at the PBA level (all be it many years ago and I think he finished near last). Thought the "challenge" would push me...but it was a disaster. Probably should have switched to a hybrid or pearl cover to see if I could delay the hook a bit...but by the time I realized things were hopeless with balls #1 and #2...it was the end of Game 3.

Trying to think if there might be another sport or hobby to take up...

Chats: 32

I feel you my friend. Even when I'm bowling well it seems like there are days like this one just lurking out there. I tell myself I would rather struggle with days like you had that you just can't find the pocket instead of what I've been doing of hitting the pocket 34 out of 36 frames and ending up with 5 strikes on the night like I have been that last week or so but the truth is they both suck.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Wednesday League: low-medium oil synthetics, easier house shot.

574 Series: 193-200-181
    Spare troubles early on. Chopped a 4-7 because the lanes were dry so the plastic ball hooked. Missed a 10-pin the following frame for the same reason...hooked 'just' inside. Wanted to add polish...but too late once the series is underway.

Game 2 I just couldn't carry. I was in or around the pocket the entire game, but couldn't get the ball to strike until the second half of the game. Opened in the 9th chopping a 1-2-4 so I had to strike out just to salvage a 200.

Game 3 was okay, I just left two splits and chopped a 1-2-8-9...not much chance of 200+ if you open 3 times.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.14 pins
    Strikes: 54% (3 turkeys, 4 doubles, and 2 singles)
    Spares: 46% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Only left the single 4-pin, 7-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 28% (2/7)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a (all 1x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 191.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 202.33.

Not horrible. I had my line pretty much to myself against a team of mostly thumbless bowlers. Was working on my stance/approach. I only moved left once, after the Big 4 split in the 3rd frame of Game 3. Just trying to get a consistent release...and get my speed under control without messing up my timing.

Gonna need to improve my spare shooting if I want a 600+ series. Missed 3 single-pins and chopped a 4-7...can't do that and expect to compete with the "big boyz".

Page 87 of 226 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast